3

3

A Chapter by J.R. Bergwick

"Deveroh! Deveroh wake up! Damn it thats an order!." Sidney yells as she shook me awake, "This isn't going to be a common event is it?"

 "What do you mean m'lady?" I asked innocently groggy

 She points to the floor where my arm had changed into blade form during my slumber and pierced the tiles.

 "I apologize to you both, I'm still kinda figuring things out." I rubbed the back of my neck embarrassed

 "Deveroh, my boy, why don't you try keeping things like this concealed from the public.  While you're at it try hiding these as well." The undertaker ripped the fedora off my head and revealed my horns, "Honestly, what if the wind went and stole this lovely hat and little Timmy saw those testaments of hellish living?"

 I screamed in horror and covered my head with my arms. "How'd you know about those!? Who are you creepy old man?"

 "Well that reaction wouldn't get you very far." Mr. Rippet sighed, "You mean to tell me you don't recognize me at all Deveroh? Last we met I had the same name more or less, though I was  in a bit different line of business."

 "To be honest Mr. Rippet I don't remember anything. That dream I had, I think it was a memory. There was a serpent demon that kept referring to me as the traitor or fallen traitor, I was about to find out what he meant when my mistress awoke me." I explained

 "Deveroh, what do you mean you don't remember anything? You seemed to remember just fine when you were focused on souls." Sidney complained, "What's going on here?"

 Mr. Rippet put up an old slender hand, "Everything will be clear in a moment Ms. Ravenwood. Please be patient just a moment longer. I can't tell you much but your adventure is just about to begin. First Deveroh needs to remember who he is, what he was, and figure out who he's to become."

 "Jack stop talking like that. No offense, but I cant stand that prophecy bullshit." I got up and stood next to Sidney

 "What was that you called me? Deveroh I told you my name was Jacob, not Jack." Mr. Rippet grinned

 "My mistake Mr. Rippet, a simple slip of the tongue. " I apologized again

 "No it wasn't. And stop apologizing, it's not fitting for a Devil. You remember me Deveroh, I know you do. Think back to London. Together we spread death and fear and shed much blood. Think hard Deveroh."

 "What do you, I mean how do you two... stop playing games and somebody tell me whats going on!" Sidney shouted

 "London from 1886 to 1889. Women were being murdered, mainly prostitutes. It was the largest mass murder done by anyone of that time and the police, detectives at Scotland yard, nobody could figure out who the murderer was. The  people gave him nicknames as means of identification such as 'the Whitechapel murderer' and 'Leather Apron' but his most famouse name by far was 'Jack the Ripper'. Little did anyone know Jack wasn't a single person, nor was he a human at all. He was a team of deities , and angel named Deveroh Valentine and the being, the force known simply as Death." I rambled without even thinking

 "Ahhh, he remembers now. But there's still more to dig up in that jumbled mess of a memory." Jack cooed

 "But you're a devil, how could you have been an angel? Besides angels don't kill."

 "Don't they? Ms. Ravenwood need I remind you of why we are all here in the first place?" I said as a ran a hand over my horns

 "But that was just the work of a cult-" Sidney started to plea

 "Led by an angel.. I don't know why Ms. Ravenwood but the angel Michael  had his templars go after your family. I admit I still don't know much about myself but I'm eager to find out. Ms. Ravenwood with all due respect we have work to do. Jack will you be joining us, Death's hand would certainly be beneficial to us."

 "No, I don't think so. You know horsemen aren't allowed to take sides on this stuff. Besides I'm going to be getting very busy soon." The old man cackled

 "I see. Thank you for your time Mr. Rippet, I hope we to see you again soon." I said as I dusted off my coat then followed Sidney out of the house of death. I bet that wasn't something he was used to hearing.


When we got back to the manor I showed Sidney around the temporary cabin and allowed her to settle herself while I prepared our dinner. I was lucky enough to find several household items in the basement, including a set of pots and pans. I was unable to find a stove though, not that it'd do much good without electricity. I made a stew in the fireplace using water from a nearby stream and used some of the food Sidney bought once the water was sterile. Sidney came out and sat down next to me once she had put her new wardrobe away. She had changed into some of her casual clothes as well. She was wearing a pair of black jeans and a blue and black striped shirt. She had a collar on with a little skull charm on it, as well as a pair of boots with an elevated heel. Her gloves consumed most of her arms in a black spider web pattern.

 "You a good cook Dev?" She asked as she took a seat next to the fire place

 "I'm no expert on human cuisine m'lady, but I'd say I know my way around a kitchen."

 "Well with just some water, meat, and vegetables you've made a stew that smells wonderful. How much longer until it's done?"

 "Not too much longer Ms. Ravenwood. In the meantime, if you don't mind, tell me all you can about the Templar you saw."

 She took a deep shaky breath and I thought she was about to say no when she started. "There were four that I saw clearly, the fifth I only caught a glimpse of. Personally I don't know who they were but I've got names and now I've got you and that's all I need. Anyways there was an older man named Armani, he was an Italian and wreaked of cigar smoke. Next is Christoffer, I'm guessing a priest by trade on the basis that everyone referred to him as 'father'. Third was a middle aged man named Luker. All I know about him is that he's wealthy and that I've seen him at the balls my parents used to host. Finally theres the one known as 'The Basilisk', a dark skinned man with a heavy African accent. I could describe them in a bit more detail if you want, otherwise onto the final man. The last one didn't talk much but seemed to be the leader of the group. I didn't see him very well but I do know he has bright blue eyes that were both calming and terrifying."

 I contemplated all that I had just heard for a moment before I spoke. "Our best bet is to find the priest. We find him then we have all of them."

 "Why the priest?"

 "It's a religious cult, no? A holy figure would undoubtedly be the one to arrange everything and he's got to get in contact with the others. So, m'lady, are you much of a church goer?"

 "My family used to go every Sunday, but I was never really big on it."

 "Oh? Does this mean you don't believe in God m'lady?"

 "I don't know Dev. I do, I guess, to a point but there are a few things that don't make sense to me. For one, if there was a God who created us all and supposedly loves us then why does he let the world go to hell? Why not intervene and make the world a better place? The Bible says he's fixed the world before with Noah and his arc." Sidney ranted

 All I was able to reply with was a dumbfounded "I don't know."


 It was Sunday the next morning and we had gotten up and ready to go to church. I wasn't entirely sure if I'd even be able to step onto church grounds, but I really didn't have an option on the matter. Sidney had put on a light blue dress lined with white lace.

 We stood at the fence line of the church and looked in. There were people  entering the building in an unorganized jumble of bodies. The church itself  had been around since the town had been settled and had been expanded several times to the point where it now  looked more like a cathedral complete with stained glass and gargoyles snarling from the rooftop. Sidney looked more scared than I was to be walking into the holy house of God.

 I nudged her arm with my elbow and gave a reassuring smile. "Shall we enter the rabbit's hole m'lady?"

 "Rabbit's hole Dev? That looks more like a lion's den to me. More than likely there is a man in that building who not only tried to kill me but took everything I had."

 "No need to worry Ms. Ravenwood, as long as that contract in on your hand no harm will come to you."

 "And they say devils have no heart." Sidney smiled

 "Do not mistake responsibility for compassion Ms. Ravenwood. No harm will come to you simply because I can not allow it by terms of our contract. I don't mean to be rude m'lady but don't think for a second that there is any relationship between us other than business." I said defensively

 Sidney looked as if I had just slapped her across the face. "Deveroh, I don't understand. I never thought of a relationship between us in any way other than maybe friend-ish. I was just being friendly. I mean if we're going to work with one another until the contract is fulfilled then  can't we at least be friends?"

 "Church is about to start Ms. Ravenwood, we should find our seats." I ignored her question by walking into the church regardless of if I were to burst into fire or not

 "This isn't over Deveroh, we're still going to talk about this later." Sidney called after me through the light crowd of people before, reluctantly, she took to my heels


The church service was performed by Father Gabriel and while I found the whole deal dreadfully dull I emerged unharmed. We were able to work our way to see the priest  after the service had concluded.

 "Father Gabriel, may I have a word with you?" Sidney called from through the river of bodies working against us

 "Of course my child, what is it?" The priest gave a warm smile

 Sidney emerged from the crowd with me behind her and his smile flickered but held. "Father I was hoping you could help me find someone of dire importance. He's a priest, like you, named Father Christoffer. Do you know him by chance?"

 "Father Christoffer? Yes, I know him. He's a priest here at this very church. If you wish to speak with him I believe he's going to be holding confessions later on."

 "Thank you Father Gabriel for all your help."

 "Not a problem Sidney. I'm extremely sorry to hear about your family, but I assure you they're in a better place now."

 "Thank you again Father." Sidney gave a small curtsy

 We walked out of the church's main room and took a seat in the hallway until Father Christoffer started his confessional sermon. We had to wait until all the other people had confessed and left before I went to work.

  "Deveroh do not kill him yet, that's an order." Sidney commanded sternly as she shut and locked the doors to the room

 "As you wish m'lady." I stepped into the booth and shut the door quietly behind

 Shortly after the Father on the other side spoke. "Hello my child, what can I do for you today?"

 I gave a toothy grin as I spoke, "Forgive me Father for I have sinned. I have sinned a lot."

 "Tell me my child and repent for the Lord is merciful and fair." The box next to me echoed

 "I committed crimes against heaven and was cast out. I've also committed the following acts of lust, gluttony, pride, and wrath on numerous occasions. Oh and I'm about to commit the act of murder." Without hesitation is crashed through the wall and pinned the priest to the ground. I put all my weight on him and turned my arm into a sickle blade and brought the tip down to his throat.

 The priest screamed several times before we was able to ask, "What the hell are you?! What do you want with me?"

 I grew my horns and tossed the fedora off my head. "Why ask questions you already know the the answers to, Father Christoffer? I think you know exactly why I'm here."

 The Father shook his head madly and began babbling on about who knows what. "Why? What did I do Lord, I followed the orders of Michael." More babbling and he started crying hysterically.

  "Silence you pitiful man. If you truly don't have any clue as to why I'm about to take your soul for my own then please look to your left and take a very close look at that young lady. notice anything familiar?"

 Father Christopher looked and his eyes bulged when he saw Sidney sitting on the pew closest to us, legs crossed and smiling as she watched.

 "You should have made sure I was dead that night Christoffer. I came to the council here about what happened that night for help. Do you know what they told me? They said raise no more devils than you can put down, Father. As you can see I took their advice, my dear devil here and I are at an understanding and once we're done we'll part ways and never see one another again. Now, Christoffer, I'm going to give you a chance to repent for your sin and ,one way or another, you will be saved. You can pray to your God for forgiveness as Deveroh rends your body and turns you into nothing more than a bloody mess, or you can repent to me and live to pray another day. Choose wisely Father."

 "W-w-wait a moment Sidney. We let, we let you, and now you're back to, but you're the one and Michael said would be.... Please don't kill me!" Father Christopher cried. "Okay, okay what do I have to do to repent to you?"

 "Nothing more than talk. Tell me about the other four at my house. I want to know names, occupations, locations, everything." She cooed

 "Alright. You've got me obviously so next is Armani Algetsi, the mob boss. He's got a villa over at Brinebell. Then there's the big business guy, Luker Mammonal. He's the owner of a construction business called Rimworks. After him is, well we only know him as The Basilisk. He's a very dangerous man, he's a pretty hardcore black market man. You can usually find him at a drug hole called the Serpent pool. And the last one at the ceremony that night was our loving shepherd, the angel Michael himself."

 "An angel. You expect me to believe that an angel was there as you butchered my family you sorry excuse of-"

 "Ms. Ravenwood," I interjected, "he's telling the truth."

 "But why? Why would an angel want my family dead?"

 "Michael told us it was to get to you, he wants you. He said that you were the one, the holy woman." Father Christopher pleaded "The umm, the reincarnation of Mary Magdalene. You escaped before we could finish."

 "So the angel Michael wants me because I'm actually Mary Magdalene, as in the mother of Jesus Christ?" She paused for a moment then orders, "Deveroh kill him!"

 "Yes m'lady." I brought the sickle blade to the priest's throat and pulled back.

 The priest's head tumbles away awkwardly as blood showers the stage at the front of the room,terror forever painted on his face. A white wisp left the priest's body, his soul and my meal was trying to escape. I snatched it out of the air with a shadowy hand, my real hand, and forced the spirit into my mouth. One step closer to the end. Before we left I pinned the body to a large cross and turned it upside down on the stage, a warning to all who work for the angel.


© 2013 J.R. Bergwick


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

270 Views
Added on April 12, 2013
Last Updated on April 12, 2013
Tags: Blood, Angel, Angel Blood, Angels, Demons, Devils, Horsemen, Death, War, Apocalypse, Rapture, Sydney, Deveroh, Valentine


Author

J.R. Bergwick
J.R. Bergwick

Isanti, MN



About
I'm an 18 year old writer. I've been writing stories most of my life, mostly short stories. I've complete led on novel and am currently working on it's sequel and a separate novel. I enjoy writing bec.. more..

Writing
1 1

A Chapter by J.R. Bergwick


2 2

A Chapter by J.R. Bergwick


4 4

A Chapter by J.R. Bergwick