5

5

A Chapter by J.R. Bergwick
"

Another look into Deveroh's past.

"

We had just gotten back to Ravenwood Manor when there came a light knock on the remains of the door.

  Mr. Tweedly stepped into the house timidly. "Oh heavens, what happened here?" Tweedy held a slip of paper tightly in his hands

 "Nothing Mr. Tweedly, just some damage from the storm. It's nothing to worry about I assure you." Sidney chimed, "How can we help you Mr. Tweedly?"

 "You're bleeding. What happened to your head?" He asked alarmed

 "A window blew in and I get hit by some glass. It's nothing to worry about, I'm fine." She lied

 "I umm... I've come to give you this, Ms. Ravenwood." Mr. Tweedly stuck out a scrawny hand that clutched the paper and handed it to Sidney. "This is a check for your insurance money. Now you may begin construction of a more err...weatherproof home."

 "Right, I'll hire a crew as soon as I can. Mr. Tweedly, would you like to stay for some tea? I believe we have some cake as well." Sidney invited as Mr. Tweedly backed nervously towards the door frame.

 He eyes the bullet marks in the wall behind us. "No thank you. I've lots to do back at the office." Tweedly said shakily

 "But your office doesn't open for hours. Please stay, I insist." Sidney offered politely

 "Thank you, but again I must decline your offer. I'd hate to impose and I really should get to the office. There are is filing to do and documents to shred, and other...stuff of that nature." Mr. Tweedly mumbled as he hurried to his vehicle outside. He slammed the door shut as he ignited the engine before racking off of the Ravenwood estate.

 "I'm telling you Dev, he just doesn't like me." Sidney complained, "What have I ever done to him?"

 "M'lady, if I may, I don't think it's that he doesn't like you. I believe that he's just downright frightened of you." I proposed

 "What for? I'm only an eighteen year old girl with no family, a contract with a Devil, and now the living reincarnation of someone I always thought of as a character in a story book." She ranted, "What's there to be scared of?"

 "Ms. Ravenwood, you've had a long, frightful day. How about we get you to bed?"

 "Tea and a bath first." She demanded, "I'm horribly dirty, sticky with sweat, and covered ing blood. I hope I can find a way to cover the stigmata on my head."

 "Right away m'lady." I rushed off to put the kettle over the fire and run a warm bath for her.

 After Sidney had finished both she quickly fell asleep in her bed while I'm left to sleep on the couch.


 I've no idea where I am, yet again. The ground was covered with a heavy mist as the sun began to rise and bring things to life. The buildings around me were all made of a white polished stone and gleamed as the morning sunlight struck them. I could see a golden gate off in the distance. I stood and watched as the world came to life. People began to come out of the buildings and into the light. There were large wings mixed in amongst them, angels.

 Michael appeared next to me and put a hand firmly on my shoulder. "Black suits you Deveroh." He mocked, "I guess that's what happens when you disobey orders from the archangels."

 "It's just a color Michael, it means nothing." I called after him as he walked away. I looked over my shoulder to find wings behind me, big and black as night. I was an angel, I wore a suit like Michael's white one, but it too was black.

 Another angel landed beside me. He had red hair and hazel eyes. His face was overrun with freckles. "You're gonna be good today, right? You know what happens if you slip up again, in a black suit, right Deveroh?"

 "Yes, I lose my wings and my position as an angel." I say exasperated "It makes no difference, Pierce. The old ways are no longer working. People on earth are starting to sin more and more and less are seeking redemption. The world is damned but He's too stubborn, to loving to see it. They need to be taught that we're still watching. That not just anyone can stroll through the great gates of Heaven. There are still consequences for sinning."

 "I agree, but there are better methods Deveroh. Bring it to the Archangels in a professional fashion, not yelling and cursing at them." Pierce grasped my shoulder, "You've got talent Deveroh, don't squander it by losing your wings."

 "I'll do my best, but no promises." I joked "I'm foolish Pierce,I admit, but not stupid."

 "Of course you're not. Come on before we're late to council."

 We walked briskly into a domed building supported by pillars. The inside was filled with seats that lived in row upon row. In the center of the domed room were seven elevated seats, one for each of the Archangels that commanded the Angels. Most of the seats were already filled as we walked in, but we were able to find a pair next to each other, right by Michael.

 "Deveroh, should I be expecting another show today?" Michael smirked

 "Michael, shut your mouth for once. Top of your class doesn't make you superior to everyone here." Pierce snapped

 "Doesn't it?" Michael said

 "That wouldn't be pride I hear would it Michael? I'd hate to see the "top dog" around here become a red suit." I taunted

 "Depends, is that envy I hear in yours, Deveroh?"

 "Not on your life." I sneered

 One of the Archangels rose with his hands up in the air, "Silence, brothers and sisters. The mass will begin immediately."

 The room of Angels hushed instantaneously.

 "There are some who've recently questioned our Lord and our methods. Before we begin, I will briefly remind you all why we hold these sessions. In the beginning there was nothing, then Jehovah created everything in six days and rested on the seventh. This is why mass is held on Sunday. During that time he created two people, Adam and Eve, who disobeyed The Lord and eventually died because of it. We gather to obey our Lord and keep humanity running smoothly. It is the duty of the Guardians job to watch over the humans and the sinners. Any questions or comments?" He did a quick spin to observe the crowd.

 My hand went up before I gradually stood. I cleared my throat then confidently said, "Is the Guardian Core not under the jurisdiction of the seven of you? Do you not have the authority to direct them to be more critical of sinners?"

 "Deveroh, that figures. Yes we do, and yes we could; however, that's not how we work. If a human sins and is deemed unworthy then they are punished by those who reside in the multiverse of Hell, as has been the procedure for centuries. A mass smiting, as you're suggesting, is unthinkable."

 "Didn't seem that unthinkable when He told Noah to build that arc. What about the hundreds of thousands that have been killed in His name as He stood by idolly?" I debated

 "Enough! Deveroh, don't say another word or you'll give us no choice but to cast you out. What you just said is flat out heresy." The Archangel shouted

 I sat down reluctantly. "So now anyone who speaks the truth is a hieratic?" I mumbled to myself

 Pierce shot a look at me and I was quiet the rest of mass.

 

 "What happened to 'I'll do by best' brother? You didn't even wait, no resistance or self control whatsoever. Do you even value your position as an Angel, Deveroh?" Pierce fumed after mass

 "I'm done. I'm sorry Pierce but I can't do it anymore. It's like I'm the only one here who's even trying to be an Angel here, to keep the world well and protect the humans." I spat back at him

 "You can't be serious. The only one, really Deveroh? Even if you do quit being an Angel, what can you do to change the humans?"

 "I'll," I hesitated, "think of something."

 "So you don't even have a plan? That's wonderful." He sighed

 "I never said I didn't have a plan, I just don't know how I'm going to go about doing it." I shrugged

 "This is mad. I can't allow you to do it Deveroh. Stop now or I'll be force to go to the Archangels." Pierce threatened

 "You're going to tell on me? How old are we again Pierce? Four hundred thirty something right? I thought I could rely on you, but obviously I thought wrong." I turned and stormed away


 I was at home when they came for me. A heavy pounding on my door as I was finishing my dinner.

 "Deveroh Valentine, open the door!" A voice commanded "This is the final straw."

 My mind went into panic mode. I shot up from my chair and rushed for the nearest window, then stopped abruptly. If the Archangels were here for me, then that means Pierce had gone to them, had told them! I wheeled around towards the the door and took off full sprint. I braced myself when I reached the door and crashed through it. I knocked down the three Angels and the two Archangels who had come for me. I didn't bother to slow down or check to see if they're alright because what I planned to do next would be the end of it all.



© 2013 J.R. Bergwick


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

182 Views
Added on April 12, 2013
Last Updated on April 12, 2013
Tags: Blood, Angel, Angel Blood, Angels, Demons, Devils, Horsemen, Death, War, Apocalypse, Rapture, Sydney, Deveroh, Valentine


Author

J.R. Bergwick
J.R. Bergwick

Isanti, MN



About
I'm an 18 year old writer. I've been writing stories most of my life, mostly short stories. I've complete led on novel and am currently working on it's sequel and a separate novel. I enjoy writing bec.. more..

Writing
1 1

A Chapter by J.R. Bergwick


2 2

A Chapter by J.R. Bergwick


3 3

A Chapter by J.R. Bergwick