6

6

A Chapter by J.R. Bergwick
"

Sidney is getting her life back slowly, and lays a clever trap for the third target.

"

The next morning, when Ms. Ravenwood and I had finished our breakfast, we headed into town to start construction immediately. To our displeasure, though, the local contractor for construction jobs refused to take the job.

 "After that place was destroyed, Ms. Ravenwood, murders have gone through the roof. I'm not a believer of the supernatural, but it's clear to see that your family's land is cursed. I don't know how they're connected to the house, but in just a few days a corrupt priest has been killed as well as an entire mob!" The contractor explained

 "So then what have you to fear? Have you been doing something wrong?" Sidney inquired

 "Not me personally, no." The contractor said, then in a hushed voice he continued, "My boss, Luker Mammonal, the President of Rimworks Constructions is a umm...money lover. He's been know to take some shortcuts to save money. This isn't just buying some flimsy material, but having structurally unstable buildings. If he were to take this job and receive the wrath of the Ravenwood Curse, then Rimworks would fall through and I'd lose my job."

 "Luker's greedy huh? Well I don't see how he'd be able to cut corners when he's got ten million credits to work with." Sidney purposefully said the numbers a bit louder

 A man in a business suit popped out of his office. He looked at the contractor annoyed, "What are you standing around for? Get back to work." Then he turned his attention to us, "I apologize about that."

 "Would you be Mr. Mammonal?" Sidney asked

 The man gave a quick laugh then responded, "No dear girl, I am not. Mr. Mammonal is in New York City, I am the man in charge of this area. Alexander Crowly is the name." The man stuck out his hand

 Sidney ignored it and continued speaking. "I was hoping to talk to Luker personally about this deal, oh well. I'll spare you the details and keep it simple and to the point. I want Ravenwood Manor rebuilt, you've got ten million credits to work with. What's your answer?"

 "Absolutely." Alexander fired off, "I'll start writing up a contract and if you'd come by tomorrow to sign it I can have a construction begin as early as the following day."

 "Wonderful." Sidney said with a smile.

 I could tell she was forming another plan, I could only imagine what it was for.

 Sidney had business plans today. First meet with the contractors, next pay a visit to the Ravenwoods' capital source of income, candy. Candy had become highly popular since the prohibition of alcohol had started, though liquor was still being smuggled in and distributed. The Ravenwood Candy empire spread worldwide, and in some counties they even produced candy flavored alcohol. The Ravenwoods' main office was confidently located right here in town.

 Sidney walked to the receptionist's desk and very politely said, "Good afternoon Edna, how are you today?"

 "Sidney, how wonderful to see you." The elderly receptionist began, "I'm doin fine. How about you? It's a tragedy what happened to them. If there's any way I can help, please let me know dear."

 "Actually Edna, I need you to call the Board to an immediate conference. I know how they are and need to keep them in check." Sidney requested

 "Right away dear." Edna smiled warmly and picked up the phone.

 Sidney turned and led me through a set of double doors that turned into a factory floor. The smell of various candies mixed and tickled at my nose. We walked along a metal catwalk above the work floor and disappeared through another door. The factory quickly turned into a business floor filled with cubicles and typewriters. We turned into a room with a long table, where Sidney sat at the head. I sat in a seat behind her that resided in a shadowed corner. There we waited until a small group of confused businessmen came through and spotted Sidney.

 "Gentlemen, please sit down." Sidney gestured to the seats

 They all hesitantly sat down and waited for Sidney to speak again.

 "I may just be a young woman, but I'm not stupid. My father taught me the ways of business because I was to inherit the Ravenwood Empire upon his death. Unfortunately, my father has passed away, and now you all are trying to take this empire forged by the Ravenwood family for your own. Unexpectable. You know, each and every one of you, that if my father were here all of you would be fired on the spot. Am I correct?"

 They all mumbled and nodded their heads.

 "So then give me a reason not to do the same." Sidney ordered

 None of them answered, but fidgeted uncomfortably

 "Good. That means you all know what you've done wrong and that shouldn't have any regrets in doing this. You are all..." She paused for a moment then let loose a giant grin,"staying. If we have any more issues though don't expect that I'll be as forgiving." Sidney got up from the table and left the room, saying a farewell to them as she left.

 

 "What was the point of that m'lady?" I asked completely bewildered

 "Something dad taught me. He used to say 'its better to be loved than feared. People will always follow those they love, but follow those they fear only while that person has power.'"

 I pondered this silently for a while as we walked through the building to the exit. Once we were outside I spoke again, "You humans are a puzzling bunch."

 She smiled, "Indeed we are Dev, indeed we are."


 We were back at the Rimworks office early the next morning. Sidney had a pen in one hand, and a check written out to the company for ten million credits in the other. Alexander had that cheesy businessman grin on his face and I was sitting in a chair bearly awake. Sidney clicked the pen repeatedly as she read through the contract, causing Alexander's eye to twitch irritably. When she was finally content she clicked the pen one last time and hastily signed the papers, then places the pen on the desk. Alexander signed the paper after her. Sidney handed the check out to the man who reached or it greedily.

 "I spoke with Mr. Luker the other day Ms. Ravenwood. He's taken a special interest in this project and said he'd be coming out here to overview the project himself." Alexander reported

 "Splendid. I hope I get the chance to speak with him." Sidney said with a fake smile

 "I'm sure you will m'lady," I began, "after all, this has got to be one of his biggest projects ever. If all goes well here I'm sure he'll be able to use it to get other big contracts. And, of course, he'll probably give the person who made this deal a promotion with a huge pay raise. So I can only see that it's fair that you get to meet with him Ms. Ravenwood." I said, stringing Mr. Crowly along to the point we was practically drooling

 Alexander Crowly realized this and quickly shook his head and cleared his throat. "Absolutely. As your butler said so marvelously, Mr. Mammonal owes you a personal visit at the very least."

 "And his soul to me." I thought to myself hungrily

 After all that had came to a conclusion Alexander and Sidney shook hands to finalize the contract and we went on our way.


 The next couple of weeks, as the Manor was being reconstructed, were layed back and boring. I'd not killed anything other than the occasional deer or pheasant, in what seemed like, ages. Butler/Bodyguard by day, Demonic training by night after I'd wake up from some nightmare in cold sweat.

 Luker arrived not too long after construction began. You could tell just by looking at him that he was no better than vermin. He was a tall, well built man who strutted around the site in his suit like a peacock. He always hid behind a dark pair of sunglasses, even when he was inside the building. He had a head full of hazel colored hair, trimmed in a neat and tidy due.

 One day as the manor neared completion, Sidney decided to ask him for a tour of the manor. She had finally decided to play.

 "I don't see why a tour is in order Ms. Ravenwood. The houses is going to be exactly as it was, structurally speaking." Luker said trying to weasel his way out

 "Even still, it's a new building and I'd like to get to know this home better than the previous."

 Luker looked over his shoulder nervously as he replied, "Okay, I see there's no arguing with you. I'll have one of the crew show you around."

 "No." Sidney barked then cleared her throat and very softly said, "No. Mr. Mammonal, I'd like you to show me. It's just that I don't trust these men, I can't really trust anyone after what happened. I feel like you're different, you seem like a good man." Sidney lied

 Luker gave a slight smile. "Thank you for the compliment, but I still would rather not go into the house itself."

 "Why ever not? You seem comfortable walking around the grounds." I baited him

 "The curse. It's certainly no secret that I've done some....eh questionable things in the past that I've been able to squeak by the law with, but what about him?" Luker pointed up

 "Rubbish. You don't honestly believe in that curse nonsense do you Mr. Mammonal? I assure you that my family's land is one hundred percent curse free." Sidney continued to persuade, "Besides, those other killings had nothing to do with me, let alone my land." She lied

 Luker looked uneasy but sighed and agreed. "Alright, lets go then Ms. Ravenwood. The quicker we get this done, the better."


 Luker lead us in through the front, into the ballroom. "As you can see, we made an exact replica of what it is end to look like. From the walls to the mosaic on the floor."

 "Almost." Sidney muttered

 "I'm sorry m'lady? What was that?" I asked

 "It's almost exact, but there is a difference. The fireplace is wrong. The mantle on it stuck out further so that mother and father could display pictures of the family."

 "Did it really? How troublesome. I'll have someone fix that immediately." Luker said, "Lets press onward, shall we?" He led us up the grand staircase in the opening and down the hall to the left. "Complete with all thirteen bedrooms, seven bathrooms, and three offices the manor is almost completely reconstructed." Luker continued to walk as he spoke, "As you can see even the molding on the walls has been recreated to match the ones that were there before the fire. The kitchen down the hall the hall back in the ballroom has been resuited with all the counters and equipment that had been there before. Is there anywhere else that you'd care to view Ms. Ravenwood?"

 "One last place, yes, the observatory deck. That was was my favorite place to be as a child." She requested

 "Right, of course. This way then." Luker said hesitantly.

 We followed the CEO of Rimworks up another set of steps to the top level of the house. We enter a set of double doors into, what must be, the Master Bedroom. It was empty but still looked to house someone of great importance. On the opposite end of the room was a pair of glass doors. They opened up to find a fairly large deck overlooking the Ravenwood Estate.

 "Is it to your liking Ms. Ravenwood?" Luker wondered aloud

 Sidney didn't answer immediately, but wondered around the deck a bit, looking at spots here and there. "It looks the same as it did before you ruined everything."

 Luker looked confused at first. Then, as the revolution dawned on him, his face took on a shade of horror. He backed away from Sidney in a panic, hitting the cement railing and almost fell over. He turned to run.

 "Deveroh, stop him." Sidney ordered quietly

 I stand still and used my shadow to grab his legs. Luker fell forward and continued to try to get away, clawing at the carpet in the room desperately as I dragged him back out by his shadow.

 "I knew you were behind the murders." Luker accused

 "Me? No, I'd never be responsible for such bloody work." Sidney said innocently

 "But..." Luker began, then realized I wasn't touching him, "The butler. But how? What is he?" Luker babbled

 "Go on Deveroh, answer the man." Sidney smiled

 "I'm simply one hell of a butler." I replied cryptically

 "A demon?" Luker concluded

 "Demon? Mr. Mammonal, I'm insulted. I am a Devil, far superior to any meer ant of a demon." I corrected

 He looked to Sidney. "So now you're going to have your Devil kill me because of what happened? I swear I didn't want any part of it. Michael said-" Luker pleaded

 "Quiet Luker." Sidney snapped "I know all about Michael. The angel then convinced the four of you to help him with his little scheme. I don't care about any deals or threats he made you. I care about hunting him down and assuring he dies." Sidney takes off her veil and gloves. "He's covered my body in stigmata in an attempt to purify the world. I'd love to have you killed, but you've got something more important to me than your life. You give me answers, and I won't kill you you."

 Luker nodded his head, "Yes. Anything you want."

 "Where can I find the Snake Pit? I want to be sure Basilisk dies. If I kill him I'm sure I can get to Michael." She said

 "Basilisk? Okay, yea. Ummm, the Snake Pit is a drug hole for all sorts of low lives. It don't know explicitly where it is, all I know is its somewhere in the slums of ummm....Terrabon! You can find him there. Big black fellow. Dreadlocks and fangs. He'll probably be surrounded by a group of thugs. You'll spare me now right?" Luker stutters

 "Sure." Sidney said, "Deveroh, kill him."

 Lukers face drops. "What? No. You...you...you said you'd spare me if I answered your questions!"

 "No, I said that I wouldn't kill you if you answered my questions. I said nothing about sparing you, nor anything about Deveroh not killing you." She replies maliciously

 "No, please god no. I was just following orders. We were supposed to be saving the world." Luker pleaded

 I let myself to be seen as the Devil I was. Shadowy flames flickered across my body as my features darkened, my horns grew, and my shadowy wings returned. "Mr. Luker, do you have any idea how magnificent a sinner's soul tastes?" I grinned with a sharp smile as I walked closer to him. I inhaled deeply through my nose, "Yours smell absolutely delightful."

 "No. Stay back! I beg of you. I'll make a deal with you; I'll give you the souls of everyone that works for me. Please." Luker begged

 "My my, your avarice knows no bounds. You may even give Master Leviathan a run for his money." I chuckled "I refuse your offer however." I lifted his shadow over the ledge and let him go.

 Luker screamed as he fell and landed on the brick patio below with a wet thud. Workers quickly came to investigate, only to find their boss dead.


 The police arrived shortly after. They questioned some of the workers before they came to question Sidney.

 "Ms. Ravenwood, we'd like to ask you a couple of questions regarding Mr. Mammonal's death." A police man calls, followed by another man in uniform.

 "Absolutely sir, I'll help in any way I can." She smiled warmly

 "First off, I'd like to ask you where you where upon the time of Mr. Mammonal's death?" The policeman started his questioning

 "I was with him. He was giving me a tour of the manor. We were up on the observatory deck when he lost his balance and fell over. A terrible tragedy." Sidney lied

 "I see. So you don't deny being with the victim at his time of death?" He asked

 "Are you implying that I killed him?" Sidney wondered

 "No, of course not. It is, however, a possibility." The policeman remarked

 "Of course. Are there any further questions?" Sidney asked

 The policeman shook his head. "No, that is all for today. There may be something in the future, but if it is as you say, an unfortunate accident on his part, then that's unlikely. Thank you for your compliance." The officer concluded. He and his partner then walked away and questioned a few of the workers that were present at the scene.

Sidney turns to me, "At this rate the manor should be complete by the end of the week, even with the inconvenience of the boys in blue."

 "Would you like me to prepare furnishing the house m'lady?" I asked her

 "Yes. I'd like to move into Ravenwood Manor as soon as possible. Be sure to hire a few staff members as well."

 "As you wish m'lady." I bowed, "I shall set to my assignment first thing tomorrow. It's getting rather late though and I believe you should retire."

 "Yes. I'm afraid the day has taken its toll on me. Deveroh, when we get back, please prepare some tea."

"Of course Miss Ravenwood."



© 2013 J.R. Bergwick


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

243 Views
Added on April 12, 2013
Last Updated on April 12, 2013
Tags: Blood, Angel, Angel Blood, Angels, Demons, Devils, Horsemen, Death, War, Apocalypse, Rapture, Sydney, Deveroh, Valentine


Author

J.R. Bergwick
J.R. Bergwick

Isanti, MN



About
I'm an 18 year old writer. I've been writing stories most of my life, mostly short stories. I've complete led on novel and am currently working on it's sequel and a separate novel. I enjoy writing bec.. more..

Writing
1 1

A Chapter by J.R. Bergwick


2 2

A Chapter by J.R. Bergwick


3 3

A Chapter by J.R. Bergwick