Wear your poppy

Wear your poppy

A Poem by Stanley Wilson
"

reworked version

"

Wear your Poppy

Wear your poppy that I gave you with pride my son. Remember all the countless souls that have fought and are now all gone.

For it was for you, and your kind that they gave all their tomorrows. So selflessly and bravely, so that you could remember all their yesterday.

Stand still and silent, with your head bowed my boy. When as the chimes strike eleven respect the families who without them must carry on.

Remember they too were someone’s sister, brother, father, wife, husband, daughter, friend or son.

Whether you agreed with the politics they found themselves in it was they that fell in some foreign field, town, ocean or street.

Don’t forget the ones who came home scarred and maimed, from the acts they have seen and done. Living with the memories from wars that will never be won.

Remember the cost, sacrifice and waste the next time to your fellow being you show them venom and hate. Yes you wear that poppy with pride my son and don’t you dare waste your tomorrows as for they have none.

 

    ©Stanley Wilson 2012

© 2013 Stanley Wilson


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I can see an elder sitting his boy down for THE Talk. Such formalities are seldom casual, some are not all that pre-thought either. For this type of conversation word flaws actually tend to make it more real as most speakers WILL search for the words they want to bring up.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Stanley Wilson

10 Years Ago

Thanks for the review :)



Reviews

As I get older it seems more and more that the sacrifice our young people make, either with their life, emotional or.physical scars no longer merits what is paid for. We speak about freedom but in reality the last war fought for our freedom was WWII. I am tired of war and sick at heart at the cost paid by our soldiers and their families.

Posted 7 Years Ago


I can see an elder sitting his boy down for THE Talk. Such formalities are seldom casual, some are not all that pre-thought either. For this type of conversation word flaws actually tend to make it more real as most speakers WILL search for the words they want to bring up.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Stanley Wilson

10 Years Ago

Thanks for the review :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

316 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 9, 2013
Last Updated on November 9, 2013

Author

Stanley Wilson
Stanley Wilson

Helston, Cornwall, United Kingdom



About
Work in the NHS. Cat lover. more..

Writing
Passing Passing

A Story by Stanley Wilson