Passing

Passing

A Story by Stanley Wilson
"

A chapter from the novel catnapped.

"

Slowly she raised her tired, heavy head and blinked. Despite being so frail, she was still the largest cat around the neighbourhood. Wow! She was amazed at the wonder of what she saw before her. There right in front of her, there she was in all of her glory. The great cat of legend and yore.  The great Pusscat herself had come. She was surrounded by a bright yet comforting white and yellow light. She wasn’t scared by it and she felt a stillness and calm, as the light reached her. The Great Pusscat was flanked by two huge Siamese males. They were magnificent,  handsome muscled and elegant. Each of them were wearing a golden collar. Studded with emeralds, rubies and sapphires. They glistened and sparkled in the light. As they turned they head they bells jingled. It was the same sound as her pride of cats. She wouldn’t have to defend them this time. The Great Pusscat was truly and remarkably beautiful herself. A grey green tabby marked Mainecoone. With a soft and inviting tan under belly just like Sony herself. Her tail was bushy too, with a kink at the end just like the So’s. The Great Pusscat purred loudly and gently. She touched Sony with her paw.

They looked at each other for a while. The Great Puss had kindly eyes and she smiled at her as she spoke. Her voice was sweet like honey and calming. “ Wake my child.... your time has come and you will feel pain no more....Come my child your journey has only just begun....we must away before the dawn.” The sound of her voice, was the most incredibly beautiful sound that she had ever heard. Even better than the calming dulcet tones of her male human. That she adored more that anything in her little world. Bathed in the light she felt the warmth engulf her. The cold aching her tired old bones had felt had gone. There wasn’t any pain anymore. It had truly gone indeed, she felt that she needn’t be brave anymore. As Sony stood she felt a renewed energy, she felt young and indestructible again. She hesitated a little and looked around the room at her loved ones. Fast asleep on the bed. “They will be fine..” The Pusscat spoke. “fret not my girl.” She nuzzled and kissed each of her loved ones. Sony gave her sister Willows’ great bushy tail, a swipe and tug as she tiptoed past her. With a heavy heart she paused and gazed at her humans one last time. She didn’t want to leave them. “They will see you soon.....Come now.”

The Great Pusscat gently kissed her and they walked together, purring loudly surrounded by the light. Toward the land of beyond where all the cats go at the end of their worldly life.

Casper lifted his head and couldn’t believe the sight before him. He could see the land of beyond full of sunshine. Sony and the Great Pusscat, walking toward it. Bathed in light flanked by the two Siamese. The white one on the right gruffly told him. “Sleep boy.....forget what you see and dream.....for now is not your time.” Casper shut his eyes tight and soon fell back asleep.

In the quiet just before the dawn, the large Mainecoone sighed a great sigh then she lay still. Her pain was gone and now her journey, had now just begun. As she walked with the Great Pusscat into the land of beyond. Sony saw Mitzu, Betsie and Snowy waiting for her. She bounded across over to them to play, a kitten once more.

© 2014 Stanley Wilson


Author's Note

Stanley Wilson
We lost Sony to stomach cancer earlier this year. She fought bravely right up to the end when we had to make the decision for her. For all our loved ones.
© Stanley Wilson 2014

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Nice. Though I am not a pet tamer, yet I attest to Sony.

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

309 Views
1 Review
Added on June 24, 2014
Last Updated on June 24, 2014

Author

Stanley Wilson
Stanley Wilson

Helston, Cornwall, United Kingdom



About
Work in the NHS. Cat lover. more..

Writing