American

American

A Poem by Neo

I bought comic books in the same drugstore as your children,

celebrated the first man on the moon,

while eating freeze dried ice cream.

I’ve always wanted to travel in a silver airstream

to see the Grand Canyon,

carry a pistol like the Lone Ranger.

Why can’t an Indian be my best friend?

 

Because I pick sushi off of a plate with my fingers,

and sometimes admire Satsuma vases

through the antique store window.

I can’t wear a button that tells you

“I am Chinese” -

my button is shaped like an American flag.

© 2015 Neo


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

We are who we are whilst we have all the facial features.. the whereabouts, the history, is just baggage. You write in a gently analytical way, no frills, no insecurities. You're the being before the words, the precisely laid phrases and words show the way to sincerity.. great!

Posted 9 Years Ago


yesterday was then, today is now...and people who live today aren't responsible for what ancestors did...i did not slaughter native americans to call this land "our land" and yet i still feel remorse for what my ancestors did back then...
we wear that American flag button...but sometimes it does come with some shame, even when there is much proud-ness too.

love the descriptions you use in this...we all need our Tonto!

jacob

Posted 9 Years Ago


Wow, Neo. This is really reminiscent of the novel Hotel at the Corner of Bitter and Sweet. I can imagine this Japanese person not able to wear the "I am Chinese" button, and being mistreated by people thinking this person is an immigrant and not a second, third, fourth - generation Japanese-American.
Look at all the things this person has done in their lifetime - all the "real American" events they've participated in. They are truly part of the country, and now their worth is diminished based on things that people from their ancestors' homeland have done.
Makes me wonder exactly what it takes to be an American and be accepted. Surely this country was built on more than the White-Anglo-Saxon-Protestants, but I think we tend to forget that sometimes. Good job. :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


Neo

9 Years Ago

There are many things I like about you, and being able to so fully understand my poetry is one of th.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

307 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 6, 2015
Last Updated on March 8, 2015

Author

Neo
Neo

Cabot Cove, ME



About
hey, i'm neo. i love reading, writing and editing stories. and pokemon. more..

Writing
Before Before

A Poem by Neo


Storm Storm

A Poem by Neo



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..