On the Edge

On the Edge

A Story by Enigma
"

For Belinda's Short Story Challenge. Hope you like it.

"
Its hard to say I didn't know what I was getting myself into when I pulled up to this house. Yet still I felt no regret.
 Inside the cottage house before me was a man, armed and dangerous and on the edge of insanity, in his arms he held a frightened young girl with a sleek silver gun aimed at her temple. She'd been taken from her Disney Princess themed bed, from her mother's home.
"Bring her home," The woman had clutched onto my hand so tightly."Please. Bring my baby home."
 I'd promised her before I could stop myself. I couldn't bare the thought of having to go back to her mother and tell her I'd failed her. So with one last breath I straightened my spine and holstered the gun in my hands to my waist. The vest I wore might or might not protect me, but that was a risk I was willing to take. Years of doing this and still a shiver of fear ran up and down my spine, the hairs on the back of my neck stood on end.
The man in the FBI bullet proof vest beside me gave me a nod and without hesitation I walked up to the house where the little girl cried quietly as her own father wielded a gun at her head. As I took my last few steps up to the door I thought of my own family, my mother and father surely sleeping soundly, my baby sister probably working a late shift at Target, and my husband waiting for me to come home. Somehow they'd understood that what drove me to do this dangerous job every day was the fact that I could save a life, and they hadn't argued at all. Like that little girl inside that house, she needed me, I could save her and take her back to her mother and watch as she hugged her fiercely and cried her name with a smile on her face. That picture alone gave me a push of courage. My hand closed around the knob and I walked in slowly with my hands raised up to the air, palms forwards, and met the eyes of a man teetering on the edge of his sanity, a little girl with tears glittering in her terrified eyes, and a long lethal gun aimed right at me.

© 2012 Enigma


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I loved it.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Omg!! What happens next?? This was really good!! It gripped the reader! I love the way you the first line took this story in to a direction I never would of thought of. Bravo!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Enigma

11 Years Ago

Thank you very much! I'm glad you liked it.
And, honestly? I'm not exactly sure what would hap.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

230 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 19, 2012
Last Updated on November 19, 2012
Tags: Hostage, Save, Life, Gun, Fear, Courage

Author