Fear of the Trade

Fear of the Trade

A Story by Nevah Ann
"

A look into the Gantos's Slave Trade

"

Author’s Note: These stories are character background histories. They are minor characters in the series of novels that I am working on to get published. The Stories start at the start of the person’s life. (Usually the most important part, not always their birth) And goes until the start of the story they are in. This is because I love knowing everything about each character that I create. (Trust me people with three or four lines have HUGE background stories.) To me, even people with one line are still people and might one day, have an adventure of their own. In order to understand parts of these stories, without giving away the novels, I must first explain to you who Kadin is.

Kadin is a human. His father, Kendrick, started a group of vampire hunters called the Gantos. (The series does not start with his story, but he does have his own story). Soon after the hunters started a slave trade, where vampires, witches, shifters, werewolves, and any other supernatural being that were caught was sold. For science, for work, to kill, to hunt, for games, for anything, everything you can think of, and even thing you couldn’t think of. After his father was kidnapped by vampires Kadin kept up the Gantos. Though he isn’t as strict as his father was in punishments, rules, and obeying, he is still pretty bad. His men, if they are punished, are sent to what is called “The Red Room” a room that got its name by the now red walls, floor, and ceiling it has. This room, once white, is where you are sent if you misbehave. In here Kadin, or another member of your group, beats and tortures you for certain amount of time. This is usually set BEFORE you go in there but time is known to just be added on for no real reason, other then Kadin not thinking you’ve had enough. Kadin tends to know more about people then he lets on and often uses this knowledge to hold over the peoples heads.

 

In these background histories Kadin is mentioned often. Kadin’s background, though mostly explained in his father’s story, is in the process of being written out.

 

Any additional information on Kadin pertaining to a certain background story will be found at the end of the story.

Vince is a character in Where Will you Go!. Born February 14, 1905. Vince is a vampire, he has short black hair, and dark green eye

    Vince lies down on the cold floor, dropping his head on the pillow. For three months now he has been slowly dying. The doctors told him it was polio. He was only twenty years old, he wasn't ready to die. Vince stares at the ceiling but his eyes take nothing in. His death was coming. A soft knock at the door pulls him from his thoughts. He turns his head and looks at the door. "Enter" he mutters, hoping whoever it was didn't hear him. The door opens and a women walks in, her face covered. She closes the door and walks over to Vince. She kneels be him and pushes the cloak from her eyes.

    "Hello Vince" she smiles at him. Vince looks at her, who was this woman, and how did she know his name? He narrows his eyes a bit.

    "How do you know my name?" He growls slightly, he wasn't in the mood to play games.

    "I have been watching you for awhile now Vince." She leans closer to him, making her voice soft. "I know a lot about you." She kisses his cheek, and then leans in close to his ear whispering, "You are dying."

    Vince tries to move away from her, "What's your point?"

    "I can fix you" She pulls him into her lap, "I can give you back your life."

    Vince tries to laugh, "How? Why?" Though tempting... he knew nothing of this woman.

    "Because, I need someone who will stay with me." She kisses his cheek again, "Someone who will take care of me." Stay with her? She was pretty but still... She licks her lips a bit, smiling again at him.

    "I stay with you" he pauses to make sure she's listening. "And you'll help me. I won't die?" She nods.

    "You will live a long healthy life. I promise" She rubs his head gently, like a mother stroking her child's hair when he is sick.

    Vince closes his eyes, "What is your name?" The woman leans closer her breath warm on his ear, she whispers, her voice soft and sweet, full of promise.

    "Kataleena" Vince sighs. His choices are death... or trusting this woman who promises life.

    "Very well." he says softly. Kataleena purrs slightly.

    "Wonderful" She pulls him up, laying her head on his shoulder. "We will be together forever me dear." She bites into his neck. Vince winces trying to pull back. She drinks from him, keeping her grip on his shoulders. She was strong for such a small woman.

    Relax my dear. It will only hurt a few more moments. Than we will be together forever.

And that is how Vince was turned. He woke up the next morning in a house with Kataleena laying next to him, and feeling hungry. Kataleena taught Vince to hunt, to feed, to fight, to kill. After living eighteen years with her he decides to move on.

    "What do you mean you're leaving?!" Kataleena screams at him.

    "Leaving? Like going and never coming back. You drive me insane" Vince snarls tossing his stuff in a bag.

    "I made you. You can't leave!" She moves over to him, wrapping an arm around him. Vince pulls away.

    "Watch me" He snaps his bag shut and picks it up, walking to the door.

    "NO!" She snarls at him. "I've made you, you can't leave!" Vince turns to face her.

    "I'm sick of you. All you do is whine. If I would have known that I would have picked death, rather than spend eighteen years with you." He snarls. Though he was lying, he wasn't about to stay any longer with her.

    "You are just as bad as those twins" She howls, tossing a chair at him. "I HATE YOU!" Vince hisses moving to one side. He growls at her.

    "This is what I mean, you're insane" He pulls open the door and walks into the hall.

    "I'll kill you. YOU HEAR! I'LL HUNT YOU DOWN AND KILL YOU!" Vince closes the door behind him, drowning out her screams. Hunt him down? He'll just have to learn to hunt better, so when she finds him... he'll be ready.

Vince spent the next two years training, learning to fight and learning to hide. Though he didn't fear Kataleena, he knew she'd find someone else to take his place, and he had reason to believe he should fear them. After his many months of travel he heard of a palace where humans ruled. They had a weird law. If you killed the prince, then you were heir to the throne. It had something to do with the King having only one child. Vince was very interested. Being King of a kingdom, whether humans or not, for if they were all humans, then he could easily turn them all and they will be loyal to him. He spent the next two months finding the perfect way into the palace.

    Vince looks around making sure there wasn't anyone watching before he moves past the guards and into the palace. "Such an easy place to get into." He mumbles to himself before climbing the steps to the second floor, heading towards the prince's chambers. "Oh well," He grins, "If I was a guard here I'd have the place looked after day and night. God knows that just anyone can sneak in and kill any of the royal family." He laughs licking his lips. He stops outside of the prince's room and leans in putting his ear to the door to listen. "Sleeping" He smirks, "To easy" He quietly pushes open the door and steps inside. He closes it quickly before the light from the hall wakes the sleeping prince. He moves over to the bed and lifts up the dagger. "Sleep well prince" He drops the dagger into the chest of the sleeping person. Then stops. That was... He pulls the dagger out and lifts the covers with his other hand. "A pillow!" Vince's eyes go wide, "But-" He falls onto the bed as something hard hits him in the back. He growls and rolls onto the other side of the bed turning to face his attacker. The prince, though only eleven, had eyes much to wise for his age. His arms were wrapped tightly around a wooden stick. His eyes narrow at Vince.

    "You are one of those things" he spats the word things, "My father told me about."

    "Things?" Vince had never been called a thing before. A monster, a demon, the devil, but never a thing.

    "You are a vampire" The prince states sounding sure of himself. "Have you come to kill me?" Vince's eyes widen. This human knew what he was, not only that but he had outsmarted him. Vince smiles licking his lips.

    "Yes, and it seems you are going to challenge me. A challenge I am very up for young prince."

    "Well, then I will have to kill you." The prince jumps onto the bed and swings the wooden stick at Vince. Vince ducks, taking a step back to keep himself from falling over. This boy had learned to fight, and he had spirit. Vince had to admit that much, but a young child like this wouldn't put up a fight long enough to even wear Vince out.

    Vince laughs, "You, a child, will kill me?"

    "Yes" He swings the stick again. Vince ducks just as the prince turns the stick around hitting him hard in the stomach with it. Vince howls in pain stumbling back a step. For a child so young, he was going to put up a good fight. "My father told me to watch for creatures of the night. He said I should fear them, but I see nothing I should fear about you." Vince growls, his eyes darkening. He grabs the stick and pulls bring the young prince to his side. Vince grabs him around the neck.

    "I'll teach you the meaning of fear child." He bites into the prince's neck, taking in his warm blood. The prince doesn't move, but his eyes dance with excitement. After a few minutes Vince drops him, leaving him with life. Vince steps back. "What the hell is your problem kid?"

    The prince smiles and puts out his hand, "My name is Prince Manelin, and my problem, vampire, is that I do not have a guard."

    Vince narrows his eyes. "What does that have to do with me?" He wanted to come kill the prince, become next in line, but this kid with his spirit and lack of fear gave Vince some respect for him.

    "You broke into the palace without anyone seeing you. You came into my room with only one thing that made me know you were coming. You could have killed me." He stands, "I want you to be my guard." Vince laughs.

    "You're kidding me" Vince shakes his head walking towards the door. Time to leave before the prince's craziness jumped to him.

    "I'm not" The prince says following behind Vince. "I want you to be my guard"

    "I'm a vampire." Vince says stopping at the door and putting his hand on the handle.

    "Can you walk in the day light?" The prince stops behind Vince.

    "Yes." Vince says turning the handle.

    "Then I want you to be my guard." Vince looks back at him. The prince looked very much like an adult at this moment, he seemed sure of himself, and he was showing no fear.

    "And what's in it for me?"

    "You will have a safe place to here to sleep. You will get only the finest blood. You will have the means to get just about anything you could ever want for free. And my father's and his group won't come looking to kill you." Vince smiles slightly, he lets go of the handle and turns to face him.

    "You know a lot. You've got spirit, and you show little fear. All good qualities of a future King." Vince puts out his hand. The kid takes it. "You have a deal, under one condition."

    "Name it" the prince smiles.

    Vince gives a wicked grin. "I don't take orders very well."

    The prince nods, "You are my personal guard. The only people you take orders from are me and my father." Vince smiles, shaking the princes hand.

    "Very well." He lets go of the prince's hand, "You have yourself a new guard then young prince."

    The prince smiles, "They call me Prince Manelin." he pauses, "You can call me Manelin."

    "And you," Vince smiles back, "Manelin, can call me Vince."

The prince and Vince became fast friends. The prince kept his promise and Vince was given the finest blood and had a room to himself in the palace, though Vince didn't use it often. He spent most of his free time with the prince. Vince taught the prince to fight and the prince taught Vince compassion. As the years past and the prince got older it became harder and harder to keep the secret of Vince being a vampire to the prince's father. Many people wanted the prince dead, and Vince spent many years avoiding death.

   "Vince," Prince Manelin comes up behind Vince on his horse. Vince looks over at him.

    "Yes Manelin" Vince says smiling at the prince.

    "I'm going riding, would you like to come with me?" Manelin leans forward on the horse a bit.

    "Where is Christian?" Vince looks around for his other guard, the one in charge of keeping the prince safe when Vince had off.

    "Lost him." Manelin grins, "He lets me do nothing, it's horrible. It's always Prince Manelin do this, Prince Manelin your father said to stay here. Prince Manelin if you ride a horse your fall and kill yourself." the prince laughs, "And my favorite. Prince Manelin don't breath, you'll choke on the air and die."

    Vince laughs, "I'm pretty sure he doesn't say that Manelin, I think you just like losing your guards. Your father won't be happy to hear you're wonder off again."

    "I haven't wondered." He grin, hopping off the horse and walking over to Vince. "You know where I am. Come on, go riding with me. Midnight hasn't seen you in ages, he misses you."

    Vince sighs, glances towards the palace. He was going to feed and then rest, the last battle had given him a few injures he still needed to heal from. But, Vince looks back at the prince, Christian wouldn't find the prince if the prince didn't want to be found and Vince couldn't just let him wonder around alone. "Very well Manelin, but I get a head start." Vince laughs, turning and walking towards the stables. Manelin walks with him leading his horse.

    "Why do you get a head start? You know Midnight is much faster than any of the other horses and he only listens to you."

    Vince smiles, "I know" He opens the stables doors and walks in. "But he's so out of practice." Manelin laughs. Vince walks over to the stale stopping as he gets there. Christian is standing in front of Midnight's stale. Midnight is stomping his hooves. Manelin stops.

    "Prince Manelin, your father wishes to speak with you." Christian glares at Vince.

    "Tell my father I am going riding, and I will speak to him when I get done." Manelin says, changing from his friendly tone to his commanding prince tone quickly.

    "Your father doesn't want to be kept waiting." Christian states. Vince glances behind him at Manelin.

    "Go see your father Prince Manelin. I will get Midnight ready." Manelin looks at Vince, after a moment he nods.

    "Very well" He ties his horse to one of the doors and walks towards Christian. Vince puts his hand out to stop him. Manelin looks at him. Vince smiles, leaning in to whisper in his ear.

    "If you come back and I'm not here. I'm just taking my head start." Vince drops his arm smiling. Manelin looks at him a moment then burst into laughter.

    "Very well, but I will still win." He walks past Christian and out the door towards the palace.

    "You do many things that can get you fired" Christian growls to Vince. Vince smiles.

    "And yet, I have worked here much longer than you, and you keep losing the prince." Vince moves over to him, pushing him aside to open the stall, he walks in, petting Midnight's nose. Midnight calms down as Vince speaks softly to him. "And Christian, I will be here long after you are gone."

The kingdom went to war and it stopped being safe for just one guard to take the prince out. Now when the prince wanted to go out Vince had to get together another ten men to go with them. Vince hated it, and he was sure the prince hated it. One day in early winter the prince and his men went out. Vince lead them growling about how stupid it was. They were attacked on their way home. Vince and the men killed the guys who attacked them, but when it was over...

    Vince sheaths the knife and moves to get out of the woods. He looks behind him, then turns in a small circle, looking around. "Wait!" He orders the other guards, he moves a step back towards the woods. "Where's the prince?"

    "We thought you had him" One of the guards says looking bored, or mad Vince couldn't tell which.

    "No," Vince growls, motioning towards one of the guards, "HE had him."

    The guard shrugs, "When a guy attacked me the prince moved away, I thought he was going towards one of you." Vince snarls at him.

    "Stay here." Vince moves into the woods, "PRINCE MANELIN!"

    "VINCE!" The voice is soft, but it was the prince's. Vince starts towards the sound, when the guards start to follow he motions them back.

    "Stay here." Vince hurries into the woods. "PRINCE MANELIN, WHERE ARE YOU?!"

    "VINCE!" The voice is louder, "HELP ME!" Vince pulls a knife and runs towards the prince’s voice. He pushes his way into a clearing, he stops seeing the prince. A man has his arm around the prince's waist and a knife to his neck. He smiles at Vince.

    "Hello, you must be Vince. I've heard a lot about you." He laughs, "I was told you can't be killed." He moves the knife a bit drawing blood from the prince's neck. "Is that true about your prince?" Vince takes a step forward, growling at the human.

    "I will kill you long before you can slit his throat." He moves the knife in his hand, getting ready to jump at the man.

    "Will you?" the guy looks at Vince's hand, then nods, "I believe it." He pauses a bit, "Which is why I don't plan on slitting his throat." The man turns pushing the prince off the side of the cliff. Manelin screams and Vince's eyes go wide. He jumps forward trying to grab the prince. The man grabs onto Vince's shoulder and pushes him backwards. Vince stumbles backwards and hits the ground. The scream fades then stops as the prince hits the ground below. Vince sits there shocked a moment, before he slowly stands his eyes dark and full of death. He snarls lunging himself at the man, he grabs hold of him and bites down into his neck. The man screams in pain trying to pull away. Vince tightens his grip, drinking from the human.

    You will see why I am called the death bringer, human. The man screams again.

Vince goes to the bottom of the cliff, finding the prince dead. Him and the guards bring the prince back to the palace and tell the king. After the funeral the king gives the orders to fire the prince's guards.

    Vince tosses the last of his stuff into his bag and closes it, looking around the empty room. This place had been his home for so long he wasn't sure what he was going to do now. Vince sighs and picks up his bag walking out of his room and into the hall. Christian looks over at him. "You know where you are going Vince?" Vince shakes his head,

    "No, I have no other home." He looks over at Christian, "And you? Where are you going?" Christian shrugs looking away from Vince.

    "I don't know. I thought about asking to become one of the king's guards." He pauses a moment, "But I don't think I could."

    Vince nods a bit, "I have loyalty to the prince, not the king." Vince says with a growl, "If it wasn't for the king’s determination to become the leader of that other kingdom the prince would not be dead."

    "If I remember Vince, you were the one to let the prince die." Christian says, "You, the one who bragged about the prince never being hurt under your watch."

    Vince snarls at him, "I'd best stop talking now human, before you join the a*s that killed the prince." Vince turns walking down the stairs and outside. He stops noticing two men trying to drag Midnight away from the stables. He walks over to them. "What's going on?"

    One of the guys looks over, "The damn horse won't calm down, so the king gave us orders to put it down." Vince sets down his bag and walks over.

    "Easy Midnight." Vince rubs the horse’s nose, and the horse calms nudging Vince's hand. "I want him"

    "What?" The guy shakes his head, "It's to damn wild." Vince looks over at him, he shakes his head.

    "Just misunderstood. He's my horse; wouldn't you save bullets just letting me take him?" The guy sighs and looks at his friend.

    "Well... fine take him. I hate killing animals anyway." The two guys walk back towards the palace. Vince smiles,

    "Come on Midnight." He leads the horse over to his bag and picks it up, putting it over his shoulder. He climbs onto Midnight's back. "Let's get out of here."

Vince moved around till finally he moves to the United States, spending what little money he had in order to put Midnight in a safe place. Once in the States, Vince spends most of his time stealing money and buying a house. One night, many of years later, he's jumped and taken to a slave trade, where he stays for almost three years.

Slave Trade - Order 781

    Vince hits the cage, snarling at the humans as they walk by. This was only the third time he'd been up for auction, but he still hated it. "I don't think that works." Vince looks over at the voice. Another vampire is sitting in a cage next to him. The vampire leans forward, "I'm pretty sure they only get more pissed off." He laughs, "Isn't that right?" Vince tilts his head slightly. Was he suppose to answer?

    "Yeah, I think they get mad" Vince looks over at another guy, a witch sitting one cage over.

    "See," The first guy laughs, "So best not to do that."

    "Who are you?" Vince asks, wondering why these two, who were in the same place as him, had such high spirits. The vampire grins, leaning back against the cage.

    "I'm Linx," he motions towards the witch, "and that's Jadon."

    "Oh." Vince pauses a moment, "I'm Vince."

    "Pleasure to meet you Vince." Linx smiles, "I'd shake your hand, but a pair of cage walls kinda blocks me from doing that. Though, I can shake hands with Jadon, who can shake your hand."

    Vince laughs, "No. That's fine, I understand."

    "I just don't think he wants to touch you Jadon." Linx says with a laugh.

    "Naw, he's just saving me from shaking your hand again." Jadon moves over so he's closer to Vince. "Pay no attention to the humans Vince." He moves so his back is facing the crowd, he holds up a set of keys, he lowers his voice, "We're out of here as soon as they let all these nuts go." He grins, putting the keys back in his pocket.

    "How did you-" Vince starts wanting badly to know how he was able to pull keys from the guards. Only the vampires that worked here had a set of keys, and it wasn't easy to get them to part with them, let alone without them noticing they were missing.

    "Shh" Jadon says putting a finger to his lips, "A witch never tells his secrets." He leans back against the cage.

    "You coming with us Vince?" Linx asks. Vince nods. "Good, as soon as they leave for the night, we're out of here."

 

Hour Later - Slave Trade - Order 781

    "There ya go" Linx says pulling open Vince's cage. "You're free to go." Linx gives a little bow then tosses the keys back to Jadon. Vince climbs out of the cage.

    "Now what? This place is probably packed with guards." Vince asks, watching Jadon as he pockets the keys and pulls out a small yellow ball.

    "We run faster than them." Linx says, "Once you get past the second set of gates you can teleport. So, we out run them to there." Linx starts to the door. Jadon follows, tossing the yellow ball in the air and catching it. Vince looks around, trusting them was far better than staying here. Vince follows Jadon, watching him toss the ball in the air and catching it. He finally has to ask,

    "What is that?"

    Jadon glances at him and smiles, "Don't breath." Linx kicks the door open and four humans turn to face them.

    "HEY!" One of them hits an alarm and a loud buzzing noise starts. Jadon, tosses the ball in the air and hits it against the ceiling above the humans. The ball shatters sending yellow smoke every which way. Linx takes off running, pushing past the humans as he goes. Jadon grabs Vince's arm and pulls.

    Don't breath, Don't stop, Just run. Jadon drops Vince's arm and takes off running. Vince hisses than follows trying to see them through the yellow smoke.

    "STOP THEM! ESCAPE!!!" One of the humans shouts.

    "WHAT IS THIS, I CAN'T SEE!" The humans start to cough. They grab their throats and fall onto the ground. Vince glances back at them. What the hell was going on? What is that yellow smoke? A hand wraps around his wrist and pulls on him.

    Don't stop. Jadon says, pulling again Once we're outside you can breath again, but we still have a ways to go, come on. Vince looks back, finally being able to make out Jadon though the smoke that was filling the whole place. Vince nods and starts running again.

    Where's Linx? Vince asks, not seeing the other vampire. The smoke was messing up his senses as well. He couldn’t smell anything.

    Ahead of us, he's making sure we don't get stopped. He's fine, don't worry. Jadon assures him. A few minutes later they hit the door and run outside. Jadon stops, looking around. Vince stops behind him, looking back.

    "Will that kill them?" Vince looks back at Jadon, "The smoke." Jadon glances at him. He tips his head his eyes looking Vince over wondering why he would care.

    "Yeah," Jadon says, "It'll probably kill the humans. The vampires may live through it if they don't breathe a lot of it in. And most likely... It'll kill the witches to." Jadon looks back towards the main road.

    "What about the other ones trapped in cages?" Vince asks, wanting to know why they were left behind.

    "We can't save all of them Vince. We told them not to breathe when the smoke came in, to hold their breath for as long as possible. The smoke becomes harm less once you're in it for about two minutes, but if you breathe a lot of it in, it'll kill you. Burn your insides." Jadon looks back at Vince, eyes narrowed. "The ones that didn't listen are probably better off dead anyway. Most everyone in there wishes for death. Be happy you’re out Vince."

    "HEY!" Vince looks over spotting Linx. "COME ON!" Linx motions towards a path behind the building, than he disappears behind it.

    "Time to go." Jadon looks at Vince, "It's your choice. We can't force you to come with us, but just think what we can do to shut this place down if we get out." Vince looks at him, and then nods a bit. "Once we get out of here Linx can get his weapons. I can get more of mine. We can come back armed, and shut this place down for good. Though we didn't help those in there now, we can keep others from being put in there."

    "Yeah." Vince agrees, "We can." 

    Jadon smiles, "Come on" He takes off towards the back of the building and Vince follows. He'll come back. He'll find weapons, armor, anything, everything. He'll get people together and they'll come back and shut this place down. No one else will have to go through it again. "There!" Jadon says motioning towards a tall barbed wire fence. "Past that we can teleport out of here." Linx was already at the gate. He had climbed up it and he was pulling on the barbed wire trying to break it.

    "STOP!" Vince turns, spotting four vampires running towards them. One of them cracks a whip against the ground. "STOP NOW!" Vince winces. He hates the sound of a whip against anything. Jadon speeds up.

    "Come on Vince." Jadon reaches the fence and starts up it. Vince speeds up and reaches the fence a few minutes later. He starts up it the four vampires close behind. Jadon reaches the top, and swings his leg over where Linx cleared the barbed wire, he reaches his hand down. "Grab my hand." Vince looks up, then glances down. The four vampires had reached the bottom of the fence, one was climbing up, the other three were at the bottom cracking the whip into the fence. Vince reaches up and takes hold of Jadon's arm. Jadon pulls up, as one of the vampires grab Vince's leg. Vince howls, and kicks trying to get his leg free. Linx jumps off the fence, kicking one of the vampires. The vampire on the fence pulls on Vince's leg again, almost pulling Vince and Jadon both off the fence. Jadon growls and grabs hold of the other side of the fence, pulling on it. Vince glances at Jadon and Linx, they were risking their freedom to get him out, this vampire wasn't going to let go and Linx couldn't take on three by himself. They had plans to come back and help the others, if the others saw all three of them getting dragged back then all hope would be gone for the others. Vince couldn't let that happen. He kicks the vampire that has his leg, and lets go of Jadon's arm as the vampire pulls down. Vince and the vampire drop from the fence. Vince hits the ground on his back. He hisses in pain and rolls to one side. Jadon growls, "LINX!" Linx looks over and moves towards Vince. Jadon tosses his leg back over, starting to climb back down.

    No! Vince says, hoping to god he was sending it to both of them. Go, get out of here, both of you.

    We're not leaving you. Jadon says, almost half way down the fence now.

    You have to. Vince says, kicking the vampires as he grabs hold of his arm. If you don't, no one can help the others. Linx stops, and looks up at Jadon. Jadon stops mid step down and eyes Vince, then Linx. They were talking, Vince could see it by the way they looked at each other. Something was going on between them. Finally Jadon nods, and climbs back up, putting his leg over and making his way down the other side. Linx kicks one of the vampires to the ground, then grabs hold of the fence and starts up it. One of the vampires grabs for Linx's leg and Vince stands, pulling on the vampire. Linx glances down at Vince.

    Thanks. He makes it to the top and climbs over, jumping down and landing next to Jadon. We're be back for you friend. Linx gives a slight bow, than disappears with Jadon. Vince smiles as the four vampires grab hold of him and drag him back towards the building. There will be hell for trying to escape, but there would be hope for those still in here.

Two Years Later - Slave Trade - Order 519

    Vince hisses pulling on the rod that the humans were hitting him with. He had spent far too long in this place, and he was breaking out, again. "GET HIM!" Somebody shouts, tossing a rope to one of the workers. "DON'T LET HIM GET AWAY!" One of the humans swings a whip cracking it into Vince's knee. His knee buckles and he drops onto the ground. Vince grabs hold of one of the humans, he had been hit many times and he needed blood. Vince bites into his neck drinking. One of the other humans scream and faints as another one cracks another whip into his back. Vince drops the now dead human and rolls onto his back trying to miss the other two whips as they crack down at his side. Someone grabs hold of his arms and pushes him onto his back. He turns to grab the rope and stops. "Kadin" The room goes quiet.

    "What's going on here?" Kadin asks, cracking a whip at his side.

    "This vampire is trying to get away sir. He's already killed ten of our men, not counting the most of the board. Everyone that buys him brings him back here."  Kadin looks at Vince, who is covered in many cuts from the whips. Blood is running off him, it covers the floor. He narrows his eyes at Kadin. His hands are ready to jump up and run the moment he gets the chance. Kadin looks back at the human.

    "I'll buy him."

    "What!" The human shakes his head, "No, oh no Kadin we have better vampires than this one."

    "I want this one." Kadin says cracking the whip at his side again, "He's a fighter, and I need one for my team. How much do you want for him?"

    Vince snarls, "I'm not for sale." He jumps up to his feet. Kadin turns and looks at him, his eyes widen slightly, then he smiles.

    "Is that so? Then why is it you are in a slave trade with a number on your back? And why have you been locked in a cage for so many years?"

    Vince jumps at Kadin, growling, "I will NOT be bought!" Kadin cracks the whip, wrapping it around Vince's leg. He pulls, putting Vince back onto the floor.

    "Stay down vampire, and shut your mouth." Kadin turns back to the humans, pulling the whip free. "I'll give you five thousand for him. That's well worth it."

    The humans nod. Kadin could take care of him, and besides, now they didn't have to put up with him anymore.

 

Four Hours Later - Base 429

    Vince's arms are chained above him in the middle of a small room. His legs are strapped to the floor. Kadin walks around Vince looking him over, "You're skinny." He pauses in front of him, "and not very healthy looking"

    Vince growls, "You are a skinny know it all human that just wants me to get out of these chains and kill you." Kadin cracks the whip against the side of his face.

    "Watch your tongue vampire." He smiles, "I'll make you a deal." He holds up a contract, "You sign this. Work for me, and I won't kill you."

    "I work for nobody" Vince snarls, spitting blood at Kadin. Kadin snarls, cracking the whip against the side of his face again.

    "I heard you were a guard for a royal human prince. That is," Kadin wipes the blood off his face. "before you let him get killed." Vince growls and pulls on the chains trying to get to Kadin.

    "SHUT UP HUMAN!" Kadin cracks the whip again hitting him in the side again.

    "Your choice vampire, you can go to my camp and work for me. Or I'll leave you to die."

    Vince snarls at him, "Piss off human."

    Kadin cracks him in the back with the whip again. "Very well, I'm sending you to the camp. Then you can make your choice." He snaps his fingers and two people step forward. Vince looks over at them. He didn't notice them before. One is a girl with black hair the other is a guy with short brown hair. They both have their hands behind their backs, eyes on Kadin.

    "Yes sir" The girl says, eyes never leaving Kadin's face.

    "Take him downstairs Angel. Tell Adam I want the highest grade of training."

    The girl, Angel, nods. "Yes sir."

 

Year Later - Base 429

    Vince stands facing Kadin. His eyes are lowered and his hands are behind his back. Adam stands behind him a grin on his face, a whip in his hand. "It wasn't easy Kadin. This one had a strong will." He cracks the whip on the floor. Vince jumps slightly. "But I broke it. He will be a fine add to your group."

    Kadin grins, "Thank you Adam." He looks at Vince. "What's your name?"

    "Vince sir." Vince keeps his voice even, trying to take the fear from it.

    "Vince, very good. Who do you work for Vince?"

    "I don't work for anyone sir."

    "Good," Kadin smiles "You will work for me then won't you Vince?"

    "Yes sir," Vince nods his head a bit. Kadin pulls a contract from off a table and holds it out to Vince.

    "Your name, in blood, on the line that says worker." Vince takes it and pulls a small knife from his side. He cuts open his finger and signs his name on the line. Vince looks at it, then holds it back out to Kadin. "Very good." Kadin says taking the contract. "Angel will take you to your room. If you're good I'll make sure you have a house of your own."

    Vince nods again, "Yes sir, thank you sir."

    "Angel," the girl steps forward, "Make sure he has all the items he'll need. I want him with you on rounds tonight."

    Angel nods, "Yes sir"

    "If he gives you any problems Angel," Kadin picks up a whip from the table and tosses it to her. "Make sure he's punished."

    Angel catches the whip and straps it to her side, "Yes sir."

    Kadin looks back at Vince, "Don't mess up Vince, or you will be going back to the slave trade. Do you understand?"

    "Yes sir" Vince shakes his head quickly. He didn't want to go back to the slave trade. "You will not be disappointed in me sir."

    "Good, make sure of that," Kadin turns and walks out of the room.

Working for Kadin proved to be more of a challenge then the slave trade. Though Vince did as he was told so he didn't get sent back, he often dreamed of one day just leaving and never returning. He thought often of Linx and Jadon, wondering what happened to them. He knew they were doing like they said they would, for there was many times the slave trade got attacked, and many times Kadin's new guy who ran the slave trade, bitched about the damn yellow smoke. Vince wanted to find them, to tell them he was out of there, but he didn't want them to know that he caved and was now working for the one who put them in there to begin with.

    Vince walks down the hall of the main base getting ready to head to bed. Kadin had gone to one of the trades and wouldn't be back till morning. Vince was in charge of watching the base while everyone else went out. It was a simple job, no one was stupid enough to attack Kadin's main base. Vince turns the corner, this place had many barriers and shields up, no one could even g- Vince stops. The guy looks up, smiling slightly. "Evening vampire." He gives a half bow, "I won't be long." He goes back to picking the lock that leads to Kadin's office. Vince growls, pulling the dart gun from his side.

    "Who the hell are you?" Vince snarls, stalking forward. The guy looks over at him

    "I'm busy, vampire." He goes back to the lock.

    "Get out!" Vince snarls, "And I won't kill you."

    "Kill me?" The guy laughs, not evening looking at Vince this time. "Sure thing." Vince growls and jumps at him. The guy pulls a whip from his side and snaps it into Vince's arm. Vince stops, and takes a step back, lowering his head. The guy goes to crack it again, but stops noticing the way Vince was standing. He drops his arm. "Hey." He moves closer to Vince. Vince drops his head and takes a step back. Maybe this guy worked for Kyler and had just forgot the key. Or maybe he worked for Kadin. "Hey," The guy stops in front of Vince, "You ok?"

    "I'm sorry, sir." Vince says quickly.

    "Sir?" The guy raises his eyebrows a bit, "Sir..." He smiles, and hooks the whip to his side. "Wow... Kadin's done a number on you." Vince looks up. "Relax vampire, I won't hurt you. I'm just looking for the schedule for the trades."

    Vince tiles his head, "Why?"

    "Gonna go break a few up, let some of them nice people out." He grins, "you know, f**k over Kadin and Kyler's day." Vince smiles slightly.

    "You go alone?"

    "Most the time, from time to time I run into a couple of guys who are looking for a friend of theirs." the guy nods, "Guess he helped them get out."

    Vince's eyes widen, "Linx and Jadon?"

    The guy nods, "Know them?"

    "I helped them g-" Vince stops him from finishing.

    "You're Vince?" The guy laughs, "Pleasure, it explains the whip. Sorry" He puts out his hand, "I'm Jordan" Vince takes it and shakes it.

    "Hey!" Jordan laughs, dropping his hand.

    "Wow, aren't you high on the food chain. God, they'll be happy to know you're safe. They talk about you a lot." Jordan looks over at the door. "Give me a hand getting this open?" Vince thinks that over. If Kadin found out he'd be set back for sure, though... if Linx and Jadon were looking for him, they'd find him and help him out. Vince nods, pulling a key from his side, he unlocks the door and opens it, stepping inside. Jordan follows him in. "Nice place," He looks around the office as Vince walks over to a cabinet and opens it up. He pulls out a file and holds it out to him.

    "Here ya go." Jordan smiles and takes it from him.

    "Thanks." He tucks it into his coat pocket then turns and walks back into the hall. Vince follows, closing and relocking the office door. "Should I tell them you're alright?" Jordan asks. Vince thinks that over. He really didn't want them to worry about him. Vince nods.

    "Yeah, tell them I'm safe."

    "Will do" Jordan says, starting down the hall. He stops and turns back to Vince. "Here," Jordan unhooks a sheath from off his back. He holds it out. Vince slowly walks over to him. Jordan puts the sword into his hands, "For your help." He smiles, "And for helping Linx and Jadon." Jordan gives a slightly bow then walks out of the base. Vince pulls the sword from the sheath and looks it over. The sharp blade of the sword is black. The handle is silver with a craving in it. The craving looks to be a hawk, or maybe a falcon. The blade is about 40 inches long, and was light in his hands even though it was so big. It smelled of magic.

    What is it? Vince asks, The magic on it?

    Magic. Jordan replies with a laugh, The sword's called Silver Edge, and she'll take good care of you my friend.

 

Author’s Note: In this you learn a bit more about the Slave trade. Though not much, I’ll have Jordan’s, Linx’s, and Jadon’s story soon. Which will give you a better look at the slave trade.

© 2008 Nevah Ann


Author's Note

Nevah Ann
This will only be up for a short time - For the up coming SOD contest

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

163 Views
Added on December 11, 2008

Author

Nevah Ann
Nevah Ann

MI



About
I'm BACK!! .... I know... I've been gone for AWHILE.... Writer's Block hit HARD... but I think I've pulled over that one. :) I've been writting as long as I can remember. I have changed what I wri.. more..

Writing