The Fox Maiden's Tale of Russet

The Fox Maiden's Tale of Russet

A Poem by Neverwhere
"

This is the first attempt I made at writing a Haibun.

"


A fox stares at the house.  It is full of humans, one in particular, a man.  Her Grandfather watches her and sees the signs.  That night he takes her to a hill under stars, tells her the way to her heart's desire.  Later, an older gentleman and a young woman in a russet kimono walk into the garden; stand beneath a pine bough.  The man on the veranda stares entranced, walks to them and into the night.  Their home is gracious, they are left alone.  They have a son not long after.  A delight, eight years pass he thinks.  He is found dirty and emaciated in a fox den.  The fox-wife has a servant speed her son away, hides in the woods until she can go back.  Grandfather dead in a scarlet pool.  The man recovers, sits on his veranda and stares at his garden, his ink dry and the paper empty.  Is there a flash of a russet kimono or a vixen's tail?  This is the story I heard.

 

fox maiden

painted into a picture screen 

kouku season returns
 

 


 

© 2013 Neverwhere


Author's Note

Neverwhere
I wrote a story I wanted to hear, and rather missed the idea of what a Haibun is supposed to be, but am still pleased with the results, over-all.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

228 Views
Added on August 17, 2013
Last Updated on August 27, 2013
Tags: Haibun, Folklore, Foxes, forbidden love

Author

Neverwhere
Neverwhere

Morro Bay, CA



About
It's a little world but it's all my mine. A Phale`ne Orchid and Chrysanthemum world in shades of kiwi green, fushia purple,and a blushing white. a little dog lays his head down upon my pillow as I ent.. more..

Writing