The Logic of Fools

The Logic of Fools

A Poem by Neville
"

gonna leave it up to you...

"

The Logic of Fools

 

Why not pin something on Nelson

Then we can tear his statue down

 

Maybe then

 

We can turn on Churchill, or Jesus

Hey, let’s all really go to f*****g town

 

Then maybe when

 

We think the whole world is looking

And when there aint nothing better to do


Yeah maybe then


We can try and change history

By breaking and de-facing a monument or two

 

 

 

 

© 2020 Neville


Author's Note

Neville
Tis a funny old world .. maybe history has something to do with it..

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Seems legit...Whenever I'm upset about social inequality and racist violence my go to move is to burn s**t. Preferably the homes and businesses of people unrelated to whatever incident threw me off. As for attacking icons of the past and retconing my immediate outrage so that it spills backwards in time? I'm all for it. F**k the past that never bothered me until now. Now is where it's at. Whatever we do though- let's not look in the mirror because personal accountability is super lame. Pick a target and burn it down. Rather progressive dontcha think? Great read sir.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Neville

3 Years Ago


I like the cut of your jib squire and so bloomin true.. many big thanks to ya for the suppor.. read more



Reviews

I agree with this...statues are part of history good or bad...and hopefully some of the bad we learn from and the good we embrace.
But burning things down and knocking down others...that doesn't really change what's in the hearts...that is where we need the real change.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Neville

3 Years Ago


How true, thank you jacob..

N
The past is like a brick wall that we've constantly got our backs up against.
We can't knock it over to go back in time but hey, why not try to move on with a different perspective, enlightened by what we've learned.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Neville

3 Years Ago

I like your 'why not try to move on with a different perspective, enlightened by what we've learned'.. read more
Ana Papaya

3 Years Ago

:) cheers
Neville

3 Years Ago


...............................................Nastrave :)
I have a bit of a different take on this. Being from the American South, I know that many of the monuments being contested were erected in the first place to celebrate or assert the superiority of whites and to intimidate those who were not white. A lot of the Civil War monuments were erected during segregation and when Civil Rights leaders were working toward equality. Just like Jim Crow laws were instated to make it more difficult for non-white people to enjoy the 'equality' that they were supposed to have under the law.

So, it's a bit of a coming to terms with the actual past and not looking at it through only one lens. I saw the most wonderful photo of a young Pueblo man dancing on top of a toppled statue pedestal. The statue honored a colonizer who had ordered the massacre of hundreds of native people and the mutilation of dozens of tribal warriors. For the native tribes of the US, the abuse and oppression has never stopped. So, for the people who have suffered under a system for hundreds of years, these symbolic victories mean so much.

I understand the desire to preserve history too, though. I am a history major and lover of history, and also understand how important it is that we don't forget. But, I think we have reached a point in history where we have to learn to hear what all sides are saying and try to make amends for the past in what ways we can. Symbols are symbols. They are not the history itself. The history lives on and is perpetuated or usurped by the people. So, I see this as a watershed moment in history where we have to try and make the future more safe and comfortable for everyone. And that naturally means some things will have to change. But those changes don't change the past or us as a people. They are only symbolic of our readiness to move forward.

This is my point of view on the matter. These are difficult times we are living in. Difficult for all of us, I think. Good topic for discussion, Neville.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Neville

3 Years Ago


cor blimey missus what have I perpetuated.. firstly, I thank you for the incredibly detailed.. read more
Eilis

3 Years Ago

I should clarify, I'm not an advocate for erasure or destruction, and I know there are zealots on bo.. read more
Neville

3 Years Ago


I would be more than happy to raise my glass to that universal endeavour

Nev.. read more
Aw blimey. You gone and done it now. Our history is our history. Leave it alone. Some of our history is unsavoury by modern standards, but you can't wipe out the past. You learn from it. Once the statues are down, then come the buildings, the removing of artefacts and the burning of books. We've seen it all before with Dictators and where did it all end? If they pick on Churchill, then they have to accept Mandela wasn't a Saint either. Then what about old Henry the eigth? The next lot will want him erased because he was a misogynist. It had to be said Neville, and you have gone and done it here and said it well to boot.

Chris.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

Thought not. But you can never be sure. Some people have some strange fetishes :) oops I used an f w.. read more
Neville

3 Years Ago


whose been talkin
Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

:))........
Seems legit...Whenever I'm upset about social inequality and racist violence my go to move is to burn s**t. Preferably the homes and businesses of people unrelated to whatever incident threw me off. As for attacking icons of the past and retconing my immediate outrage so that it spills backwards in time? I'm all for it. F**k the past that never bothered me until now. Now is where it's at. Whatever we do though- let's not look in the mirror because personal accountability is super lame. Pick a target and burn it down. Rather progressive dontcha think? Great read sir.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Neville

3 Years Ago


I like the cut of your jib squire and so bloomin true.. many big thanks to ya for the suppor.. read more
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Gee
Surely folk would never do that...surely not !
Folk will take umbrage cos they can not because it needed.
Keep them coming Neville :))

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Neville

3 Years Ago


I sincerely hope they do stop doing it.. one of my garden gnomes was defaced the other day.... read more

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

265 Views
16 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 30, 2020
Last Updated on June 30, 2020

Author

Neville
Neville

Gone West folks....., United Kingdom



About
Sometimes my imagination get's the better of me and then the pen takes over .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


It rained today It rained today

A Poem by Gee