Life on Credit

Life on Credit

A Poem by Astro
"

This is my scathing satirical point of view on the current practice of using credit and how it has corrupted society, and until we do away with it, it will only get worse.

"

“Can I help you?”


Yes you can.

I have no clue how though truly,

for I am blinded by this sale.

Two for one, oh how fantastic!

I’ll take one of these and one of those…

You take credit right?

“Yes, yes we do.”

Well then let me wave my magic plastic wand some more.

 

I would like to buy the lakes and rivers.

“They’re half off due to their condition.”

Marvelous, I’ll take them all.

Also, I would like some of your finest rainforest.

“You’re lucky, we’re almost out of rainforests.”

Well gimme what you got.


And…how about some farmland too?

“How many hectares would you like?”

“There’s a fire sale because of the decline in bees to pollinate.”

Pfff, who needs bees?  I want to raise cows, pigs, and chickens to eat.

“Well in that case, I should tell you for every 100 head you buy, we’ll throw in a free car.”


Oh, and before I forget.  I would like to get one of those blue, um….atmospheres.

“Let me check, I think we may have one left in the clearance bin.”

“The last one you’ll find.  I believe they’re discontinued due to impurities.”


How much will all of this cost?

Oh don’t worry about it, just charge it.  I’ll figure out a way to pay for it later.

“Thank you, would you like to be a member of our rewards program?”

“For every dollar spent we, donate a percentage to needy children, and…”

“You collect points which you can use to buy jewellery!”

You know what? 

You really are quite helpful!

              Sign me up!!

© 2013 Astro


Author's Note

Astro
I know that this plays out more like straight dialogue than it does poetry, but it is a satirical prose poem nonetheless, and it speaks about a pertinent issue that is masked by the illusion of success and luxury, but is nothing more than corruption.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

i like your experimentation and break from a normal poetry form in this piece! i definitely agree with your sentiments here. not only has it corrupted society but many don't even realize how far in debt they actually are because of the carelessness that they exercise with their "plastic wand." these days people are ignoring such large issues with the world that you've referenced seamlessly in place for material goods. your social commentary is clear, satirical and poignant. great work!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Astro

10 Years Ago

I'm glad you can appreciate my satirical side as well. I know the form isn't necessarily poetic, bu.. read more
1st tell me who is this Chris Martin. Just kidding your poetries are really something new and always to learn from :)
Loved it my friend :)
Thanks for the invite :)
- Singh :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Astro

10 Years Ago

Happy that I could entertain you once again Singh, thanks for reading and reviewing.
I like it and agree with you.. It kind of reminds me of The Lorax and the thneeds.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Astro

10 Years Ago

I could see a parallel to that story somewhat, they definitely deal with greed and destruction. Tha.. read more
Interesting piece, my friend. When I was younger, I got sucked into the "credit" game...then I wised up and cut up all of my cards, paid the balances, and just carry one on me for emergencies. I think people need to wise up and start learning to "save" instead of paying $500 for something that would have only cost $50 if they had just waiting two months and set the money aside. I'm lucky that i don't have a lot of money problems, but some people can only sustain themselves on credit, and it is crippling the world.

Thought provoking.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Astro

10 Years Ago

Why yes indeed there is a problem, a big one and I stay as far away from it as I can. The whole ide.. read more
Girl Friday (Sarah W.)

10 Years Ago

I sense a bit of tension here, my dear :) You need a back rub...I'll give you a virtual one... :)
Astro

10 Years Ago

That was "virtually" the nicest thing you could have said. I would do most anything for a back rub .. read more
You'll never hear me knock a good sale (come on let's face it, I'm a chic, I love to shop - within reason - that would be where I'm not normal). I agree with your over all theme...I'm not going to spend money just to spend money or simply because I have some magic card that gives me power that's a sure fire way to end up in trouble. Greed and corruption are not just ridiculous but are ruining our economies.
Great piece to draw awareness to a lot of major issues.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Astro

10 Years Ago

That's really just it, I wanted to show the comparison to what is happening ecologically and how it .. read more
Ah expenditure......money.....a necessary evil in life no matter how it is spent. Sales people....corrupt and looking for the big sale no matter what the consequences are for the customer.

Greta write Astro. Loved it.
Regards
Troy

Posted 10 Years Ago


Astro

10 Years Ago

Thanks a lot Troy. Glad you see it so clearly too!
You set this of fire... I mean you just burned the bridge completely... no need of worry... you can buy another one on credit... The sarcasm you use with the reader gives this appeal and a food of thought type of verse... Nowadays anything seems for sale... there's no sentiment... it's just an object of affection... not salvation...

Posted 10 Years Ago


Astro

10 Years Ago

Thanks Glen, something truly needs to be done. I just couldn't sit idly by and be silent about it. .. read more
Love this take, destruction fills the need as the bank accounts will bleed until the last to stand is nothing more than gone. Very cool my friend, and if I may...my interest rate for this poem is extremely high.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Astro

10 Years Ago

I'll buy that, thanks Jack.
there is success and luxury....by the folks that work for the credit card companies*) well at least out of the 400,000 employees each major company has...the CEO gets the bonuses the rest of the employees just keep charging. I like this write quite interesting. I have a problem with minimum wage. When one hour of work cannot buy a person a gallon of gas and a gallon of milk...the only folks that will see the rainbow are the CEO's . What about the pay day loan companies...those (to me) are credit card offices to the fullest....I will gladly pay you Tuesday for an atmosphere today*)
Great write thank you for sharing

Posted 10 Years Ago


Astro

10 Years Ago

You are quite right on the payday loan people, as for the CEO's well they force governments to allow.. read more
Hm. Not sure how I feel about this one. On one hand I enjoyed it because of the message and on the other Im not sure I groove on the whole tone of it. I think if you played with it more you could of made it more...snarky I suppose? I don't know.

I do like some of the dialogue though. Very nice.


“The last one you’ll find. I believe they’re discontinued due to impurities.”





Posted 10 Years Ago


Astro

10 Years Ago

Well, it was late when I wrote it, but I wasn't going for 'snarky' just sarcastic satire to illustra.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

496 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 1, 2013
Last Updated on August 1, 2013
Tags: Credit, Sales, Society, Capitalism, Corruption, Satire, Poetry, Dialogue

Author

Astro
Astro

Vancouver Island, BC, Canada



About
Mystery even unto myself. more..

Writing
Cold Blanket Cold Blanket

A Poem by Astro



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..