Distant Sun

Distant Sun

A Poem by Astro
"

For Jack...

"


The haze has built a bridge
across the sky
 anchored solidly
 to the peaks of the mountains
 above me 
right now.

The sun is but a memory
 glimpsed at
in the ripples of the river
 and the glare
 of pick-up truck headlights.

© 2014 Astro


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is seemingly such a short poem, but I can’t help coming back to it time and time again and envisioning something different each time. There is so much that can be taken from this depending on what kind of mind set the reader is in when they read it. I thoroughly enjoy this piece because I do get something new and different from it each time.

The first read through, I thought maybe this had to do with drugs because of the first stanza. I could see how a person may be able to travel and anchor themselves somewhere that would otherwise be impossible. It made me think of the Native Americans and their ability to eat hallucinogens and have out of body experiences that would cause the experience in itself seem as if a distant memory.

The second read through took a much more tragic turn for me. I thought about death. A haze that built a bridge across skies to the mountains as if a spirit released from its corporal housing would travel freely with the distant memories of the sun, and I took the headlights as the actual cause of death. That the speaker was killed from being hit by a truck. Morbid right?

The third read through was much more serene. I thought about a lazy day by the river, where silence and hope and love of life prevailed. As if the speaker is imagining what it would be like to travel and have no destination and no worries through life. And the speaker staying at the river or lake, laying in the bed of their truck until the sun sets and the only thing that reminds them of the day is the memory of the sun that plays within the water.

As I said, something different every time. I think I will continue to revisit this piece and see what else your words can bring to my mind. Thank you for sharing this piece.

+YourMidnightSecret+


Posted 8 Years Ago


Astro

7 Years Ago

I apologize to you and any who've missed my presence or style of wordplay. I'm never truly gone lik.. read more
Definitely brief in length. I could come back to it someday and perhaps lengthen it, but it captured the moment and environment I was in at the time quite perfectly. Thanks for the review, glad you liked it.

Posted 9 Years Ago


This was extremely good. Short but strong in meaning. I enjoyed reading this tonight.

Posted 9 Years Ago


This was extremely good. Short but strong in meaning. I enjoyed reading this tonight.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Seems as if you've closed your eyes and looked a second time, experience painting the what's been befor; maybe the feeling felt has highlighed reality. Strange how triggers from others can nudge ..

Posted 10 Years Ago


Astro

10 Years Ago

I try my best to describe things in a unique way. The sky that day could only be described somewhere.. read more
emmajoy

10 Years Ago

Tis the same when one suddenly sees mist capture a mountain top ..
Astro

10 Years Ago

Mist/Cloud cover is all that I was trying to describe to Jack that day in the valley of the Canadian.. read more
This one is different coming from your pen Astro....I quite enjoyed the imagery here.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Astro

10 Years Ago

It was just something that I had written to Jack in a review of one of his works, which he then sugg.. read more
Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Ahh, leave it to Jack to inspire you to pen it, nice job.....
That's what I'm talkng about. Astro, I can see this, as if I were standing right where you are. You have captured your nature'd lanscape in such a beautiful form. Nicely done my friend.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Astro

10 Years Ago

Thanks a lot Jack, for the suggestion and the review.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

538 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 8, 2014
Last Updated on January 14, 2014
Tags: Sun, Mountains, Peaks, Haze, Memory, Headlights, poetry.

Author

Astro
Astro

Vancouver Island, BC, Canada



About
Mystery even unto myself. more..

Writing
Cold Blanket Cold Blanket

A Poem by Astro



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Seeing Red Seeing Red

A Poem by ANTO