Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by NickAsAWriter

CHAPTER 1


I woke up to the sound of the morning horn. My eyes revealed themselves to the shimmering outbreak of sun that snuck into my bedroom. I groaned with all ounces of grogginess and tiredness that I had inside of me. The only thing I wanted to do right now was just lay down in my bed and think. Anything but moving sounds perfect right about now.

But I knew I was just letting my procrastination skills get the best of me, so I did what I had to and reluctantly got out of bed.

I leisurely walked over to my mahogany colored drawer and pulled out a clean pair of underwear. Following that, I walked over to my compacted closet.  

I grabbed my grey Outbreaker outfit and put it briskly, now that I realized how late I’ve gotten for The Pledge.

I grabbed my casual all-black shoes that were required and threw them on without a problem.

“David, you are ten minutes late!,” I heard my mom bark. “You know what happens when you’re late for The Pledge.”

I doubled my pace and pounced down the spiral staircase and into the kitchen. My eyes focused on an angered, frustrated woman standing by the front door, along with my little sister Annie.

“You’re late” my mother said with a stern look.

“I’m sorry mom,” I mumbled without making eye contact. “I just woke up extra tired to-”

“I don’t want to hear about your excuses” she demanded. “Now turn around.”

“No mom please...I...I didn’t mean to I just-” I stuttered terrified.

“You know the drill, David,” she exclaimed without mercy. Now mom turned to face Annie. “Annie darling, you do understand what David did was wrong, and that you could have the same consequence as him if you make the same mistake as him, right?”

“Yes mommy” Annie exclaimed sadly.

“Alright then,” Mom responded.

Mom then made her way over to a small closet under the stairs and pulled out a 3 foot wooden stick, that was used for one purpose and one purpose only.

I knew there was no way I was getting out of this one, so I helplessly accepted my fate and bended over.

“Sorry son, but rules are rules,” Mom stated. “If you don’t learn your lesson, you’ll do this again. And we all know what happens when-”

She stopped in her sentence. She caught herself from saying the one thing we never talk about. I caught a glimpse of Annie and saw a tear roll down her face, but quickly saw her wipe it away. It’s sad to see Annie, a young girl at the age of eight, go through things no eight year old should ever experience. She has to understand so many things at such a little age.

My thoughts vanished by the loud bang of the stick on to my rear. WHIP! WHIP! WHIP! WHIP! WHIP! The excruciating pain lingered throughout my whole body and I let out a yelp of pain.

“All done” I heard my mother announce. She slowly walked over to the closet and placed the wooden stick back into it’s original home.

The deafening sound of the morning horn boomed for the second time.

“Let’s go” Mom said.

Us three walked out of the clear glass door and out into the outside. I took a deep breath and inhaled the fresh air. We stayed on our first step and watched as all the other families did the same. As usual, they all came out in their dull grey Outbreaker outfits and stood with their hands at their side. We did the same.

The small security cameras came out of everyone’s house, including ours, right on schedule. They came out to make sure everyone was outside and in their required outfit.

For the third and final time, the sound of the horn boomed. But this time, an image popped into the sky. It was the lyrics to The Pledge. Everyone raised their hands to their hearts and said together in unison;

“We are the people of Micklemant. We have learned from our mistakes in the war, and we are here for freedom and loyalty. We pledge to do what is right and to sacrifice ourselves for our leaders. We have learned and accepted consequences from breaking the rules. We are the people of Micklemant.”








© 2015 NickAsAWriter


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

82 Views
Added on August 22, 2015
Last Updated on August 22, 2015


Author

NickAsAWriter
NickAsAWriter

Marlton, NJ



About
Hello everybody, my name is Nicholas Colucci and I absolutely adore writing and reading! It has been my dream for awhile now to become a writer and sell a bestselling book. Currently, I am working my .. more..

Writing
Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by NickAsAWriter


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by NickAsAWriter


Chapter 4 Chapter 4

A Chapter by NickAsAWriter