Microstory 4: The Scorpion and the Fox

Microstory 4: The Scorpion and the Fox

A Story by Nick Fisherman
"

This is a microstory. You'll have to read it to find out what it's about.

"
One day, a turtle, a frog, and a fox are sitting at the bank of a river. A scorpion comes along and asks if one of them would carry him across the river. The turtle is hesitant. "How do I know you won't sting me?" the turtle asks. "Because then we would both drown," answers the scorpion. "I'm sorry. I can't risk that," replies the turtle. The scorpion turns to the frog who hops away without a word. "I can carry you," says the fox. The fox carries the scorpion across the river and then swims back. A snake slithers up and tells the scorpion that he probably would not have been able to keep himself from biting the fox by the time they reached the bank. "Why didn't you sting him once you were safely across?" the snake asks. "Isn't that what scorpions do?" "I am not bound by my nature," the scorpion replies. "I make my own choices." Back on the first side, the turtle asks why the fox agreed to do that when it was so dangerous. "Animals like that believe it is best to perish if it means the death of an enemy," the turtle says. "I chose to give him the benefit of the doubt," the fox answers. "Not because it was in his best interests anyway, but because not helping an enemy would reflect poorly on me more than it would on him."

© 2015 Nick Fisherman


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review


This is like World of Warcraft (which I dont play) meets Aesop's fables, Nick. I didnt really understand the intricacies but I got the jist, if you like.

This reminded me of the old joke - Q. 'If a lawyer fell into shark-infested waters why would they not get eaten?' A. Professional Courtesy !

Sound little write. :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Nick Fisherman

9 Years Ago

Thank you very much!



Reviews


This is like World of Warcraft (which I dont play) meets Aesop's fables, Nick. I didnt really understand the intricacies but I got the jist, if you like.

This reminded me of the old joke - Q. 'If a lawyer fell into shark-infested waters why would they not get eaten?' A. Professional Courtesy !

Sound little write. :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Nick Fisherman

9 Years Ago

Thank you very much!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

106 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on March 16, 2015
Last Updated on March 16, 2015

Author

Nick Fisherman
Nick Fisherman

About
BE SURE TO READ MY ONGOING NOVEL SERIES, THE ADVANCEMENT OF MATEO MATIC PUBLISHED VOLUME 1 (2015): http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/624899 2016 Installments: http://www.writerscafe.org/writing/N.. more..

Writing
Test Test

A Story by Nick Fisherman