Microstory 314: Carbohydrates

Microstory 314: Carbohydrates

A Story by Nick Fisherman
"

This is an experimental Stepwisdom microstory. The introduction can be found in Microstory 300. More to follow.

"
I hear a lot of people claim that they’re no longer eating carbs. I assume this to be referring to carbohydrates, because giving up carburetors is an entirely different endeavor, and I would applaud them for joining us in the 21st century. The craze to cutting carbs out of one’s diet is not a new thing, but it seems to resurface with new life every few years once the next charlatan comes ‘round with an idea that’s supposed to change the face of nutrition forever. It’s true that carbohydrates do not have the same nutritional value as vitamins, minerals, or proteins. But that doesn’t mean there is no value in them. As with anything, the key is balance and moderation. There are many benefits to carbohydrates, most of which you’ll know just because you have a tum-tum and a tongue-tongue. Studies have shown that eating carbs makes you happy, probably because they taste so good. Joy is the entire point to living. If all we wanted to do was survive, then we wouldn’t have invented music. There are some biological reasons to eat carbs as well, including the very simple fact that fiber is a carbohydrate, which means it can curb your urge to eat sugars, and generally regulate your digestion. Lots of people are under the impression that sleep is all about rest. The truth is that sleep lowers your caloric burn by about 100. That’s negligibly better than just sitting and reading a book. We don’t gain energy from sleeping; we get it from eating. And carbohydrates are incredibly good at giving us just that. Like anything, carbohydrates need to be managed, but removing them entirely will not only do no good, but could harm what benefits sleep gives your brain. Instead of lowering or eliminating carbs, research what foods hold the “good” kind. Here’s a hint, processed foods are generally worse.

© 2016 Nick Fisherman


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

74 Views
Added on May 5, 2016
Last Updated on May 17, 2016
Tags: biology, body, brain, car, diet, eating, energy, food, health, life, microfaction, microstory, music, sleeping, survival, true story

Author

Nick Fisherman
Nick Fisherman

About
BE SURE TO READ MY ONGOING NOVEL SERIES, THE ADVANCEMENT OF MATEO MATIC PUBLISHED VOLUME 1 (2015): http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/624899 2016 Installments: http://www.writerscafe.org/writing/N.. more..

Writing
Test Test

A Story by Nick Fisherman