The Other Side

The Other Side

A Chapter by Nicole Renee

                              The Other Side…do honestly think that nonsense is real, Roselyn dear,” Eleanor Matthews chuckled, taking a drag on her fancy red cigarette holder. She was Roselyn Matthews’ great grandmother; a stubborn woman to get along with most of the time, especially with the topic of the supernatural. It usually wouldn’t be brought up around her great grandmother, but her four year old cousin James had heard about the old tale of The Other Side, which was supposedly a world of unimaginable things and ghoulish monsters. It was the excuse for the adults in the Matthews family to put their children into bed to scare them into thinking that if they didn’t go to bed, the things from The Other Side would snatch them and steal them away for eternity. “Of course, I do. I’ve been afraid since I was two,” Roselyn replied, feeling her cousin tug at her elegant black dress.

“Rosie?”
“Yes?”
“Can you put me to bed?”
      Roselyn looked around for the clock that was in the huge Victorian styled living room, the time striking struck ten thirty.  Roselyn picked up James up and carried him to his bedroom, putting him on the bed to tuck him in,telling him a bedtime story. As she was done reading the last sentence of the story, a man  popped his head into the door way.

“Can I borrow Rosie for a second?”

“I just got done with the story actually.And goodnight, James.” Roselyn kissed James on the forehead, pushing herself off the bed as she walked of the bedroom. She closed the door behind her, the man saying,”I didn’t know you were going to be done-“

“Watson, it’s fine. But what is it?” Roselyn crossed her arm lightly,a playful smirk forming on her lips. Watson was a family friend, but also her friend as well and the man that she evidentially was slowly falling in love with. Yet that was as a secret.

“Can we go check out that trinket room?”Watson asked, sounding giddy like a child with candy. 

Roselyn grabbed Watson’s hand,hoping her ebony hair was hiding her blushed face as the two weaved through the crowd and into the room next door.When they got to the room, Watson went in the front of Roselyn and gapped at the room, a giggle escaping the nineteen year old.

“You like the room, I’m guessing?”

“I love it, Roselyn!”Watson smiled, letting go of her hand slowly as he marveled around. While his eyes were wandering around, Roselyn a dusty, cream sheet over her hand. She pulled it down and it revealed a closet like door, letting curiosity take over. Roselyn let her hand open it, the sudden smells of moist dirt showering the room while she saw that the door had growing grass inside of it. Taking a few steps inside,a sudden low growl was echoed in the room, a pale light sucking Roselyn in even more as she struggled moving back into the trinket room and having the voice to scream. 



© 2010 Nicole Renee


Author's Note

Nicole Renee
I'm thinking that this could grow into more. :]
And I was having some difficulties with this story because
I had to really cut down on what I wrote since it's supposed to be 500 words. Haha.
There were little things that I wanted in this story; Roselyn only half believing in 'The Other Side' story and then how Roselyn put James to bed and told him the story about the Goldilocks and the Three Bears.

Here's a brief description of Waston and his relations with the family:
Waston Allring is twenty years old and is a family friend to the Matthews'. When Roselyn met Watson, he was fifteen and in the middle of his parent's divorce. At the time, he was dating Roselyn's cousin Julia, who is the same age as Roselyn, but a few months older than her. Waston didn't want to deal with the stress at home, so he asked Julia if he could stay with her for a while. But what was a while was for a year, and eventually, he went back after he decided to live with his mom. When he had been at Julia's for so long, he got to know everybody in the family, and became best friends with Roselyn in the process because they clicked so well as friends. Then a few months pasted on by and Watson and Julia broke up mutually, believing that they could be really good friends.

Waston is an awkward man at times, and sometimes gets embarrassed whenever he interrupts someone, even if he's not interrupting anybody at all. Yet he loves to venture around places and loves trinkets and treasures, Roselyn calling him a pirate or Watson John as a joke, referring to Sherlock Holmes' assistant John Waston,except "switching" his name around. Waston has cinnamon colored hair and bright grass colored green eyes, and has a mustache, being around 6'3 1/2.

Oh! Waston developed romantic feelings for Roselyn when he was eighteen,but because of his awkward nature, hasn't really told her so (he's still has feelings for her,and loves her as a best friend and more).

I hope you enjoy this 500 worded story and my brief description,especially when I got cheesy with the romance part towards the end. I'm kind of a sucker for romance. Thank David Cook's Always Be My Baby song! It could be their theme song...at least with some of the lyrics in the song. ;]

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I also thought of the lion witch and the wardrobe. 500 words is a challenge, you did good. Great work.

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

this is wonderful it put me in mind of the lion witch and the wardrobe. well done i love love love it!

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

247 Views
2 Reviews
Added on March 15, 2010
Last Updated on March 15, 2010


Author

Nicole Renee
Nicole Renee

Anoka, MN



About
I usually write poetry and short stories, yet I always come up with good ideas for novels. I did have a long biography on here,but when Charlie deleted everybody's work off of here on Friday the 13th,.. more..

Writing
10 Days. 10 Days.

A Chapter by Nicole Renee