Summer Solstice

Summer Solstice

A Chapter by Nicole Renee

            The rain poured roughly on Emily Dawson’s pale face, the air not feeling familiar and there was grass that replaced the warmth of a bed. She was awake, yet felt as though she was in slow motion, being the only person moving faster than everybody else. It took Emily a while to open her eyes, adjusting to the unfamiliar grass and dir t underneath her fingers while pushing against her body’s will to stand up on two feet. The nerves in her legs make her shake with weakness, having to claw onto a tree and regain whatever strength Emily had while she focused her eyes on where she was. “I’m in a forest. It’s has to be around midnight. Hmm.” Emily searched around for any tiny clues, letting herself walk in a random direction The one thing about being a time traveler was that it didn’t matter what direction you went in, you’d find something in the aftermath of it all that would be relevant sooner or later than you expected.                

Shivering from the dampness of the clothing, a car honked from the northwest side of the forest. Emily jumped about four feet into the air, squinting her eyes in the direction that the noise was coming from. The noise trigged a remembrance of when she went up her cabin all the time with her parents to Little Rock Lake.  Emily bit her bottom lip and took a deep breath, running through the sheet of rain. Five minutes later, the twenty one year old got to her destination, her hair sticking all over her face. “Andersons…Little Rock!” Emily muttered, going right up to a young Mr. Anderson asking, “What year is it?” The blond haired man looked startled, yet told her 1990. Emily nodded and ran off, not caring about if he thought she was weird and homeless. She ran off, a gut feeling making her on the edge. Suddenly, there was yelling down the road and pleading cries. Her father disappeared in 1990 on the weekend cabin trip, and they had gotten robbed before her father was dragged out of the house so he could drive the robber to his next destination.  At first, Emily and her mother thought he was dead, a gunshot being heard about five minutes later. After that, her mother was in a depression for a while until her father appeared again three years later. Since then, Emily tried to ask her father where he had been and all she got was a shrug.                     

Tripping into the muddy roads in her mid-run to walk, Emily saw two men conversing, which seemed more like bitter yells. She hid into the towering trees nearby the men, one raising a gun to the other one. Emily’s jaw dropped, and stared as she the man pointing a gun to her father’s head, almost jumping out of her hiding spot until the trigger was pulled. Emily screamed no, taking a second to realize that she had exposed her hiding spot and to see that her father really did disappear. Literally.                                                                     



© 2010 Nicole Renee


Author's Note

Nicole Renee
I've been thinking about this story for a while,but haven't gotten around to writing it. It's based off of The Time Traveler's Wife, except this is another time traveler and this story is about when the main character Emily goes back to the time and finds out the truth about her father in 1990 and why he never spoke about where he was or about why her parents didn't want to
really retell the day of the robbery (I would have added the part about them not wanting to talk about it, but
I didn't want to go even more over than I already was with this story..I hope the story makes a little sense,though).

It's a little over 500, though... there was detail I didn't want to take out. I'll be at 500 the next time,though. O_o

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

281 Views
Added on March 22, 2010
Last Updated on November 21, 2010
Previous Versions


Author

Nicole Renee
Nicole Renee

Anoka, MN



About
I usually write poetry and short stories, yet I always come up with good ideas for novels. I did have a long biography on here,but when Charlie deleted everybody's work off of here on Friday the 13th,.. more..

Writing
10 Days. 10 Days.

A Chapter by Nicole Renee