Response to a Podcast Essay

Response to a Podcast Essay

A Story by Nicolerhi
"

A scholarship essay I wrote awhile back. I ended up not getting chosen for the scholarship, but I thought I'd share it nonetheless. Enjoy. :)

"

What Gladwell Forgot: The Importance of Proper Nutrition

“Would you like some?” a friend says, offering me a piece of greasy fried chicken.

“No, thanks,” I respond as per usual, “I don’t eat meat.” The friend will then be startled, worried if I am getting enough protein in my diet. I explain that I am a pescetarian, and I have chosen to eat this way to keep me accountable for my health. Ever since I stopped eating meat, I eat more vegetables, I have more energy, and, more importantly, I have become fascinated with nutrition and diets.

But, what is the point of revealing this information about myself?

Simple. Something about Malcolm Gladwell’s argument in episode five of his Revisionist History podcast bothers me: his blatant condemnation of Bowdoin College and all others that increase funding for student meals.

I agree with Malcolm Gladwell to a point: socioeconomic diversity is important for a student body; however, the way he attacks Bowdoin College at the end of his podcast is a prime example of narrow-mindedness and misunderstanding how important food is, and should be, to our society.

Before I dive deeper into Malcolm Gladwell’s misinterpretations about the importance of nutrition, it is necessary to understand why Gladwell’s argument goes awry. Gladwell provides the listener with about double the amount of information on Vassar than Bowdoin. This error is serious. It is near impossible to come to an educated conclusion on an issue unless further research has been conducted for both sides. For Gladwell’s argument to not seem one-sided, he would need to interview more people, specifically upper management, from Bowdoin -- not just the chef and a couple of students.

Gladwell’s narrow-mindedness takes root in the fact that he is misinformed, primarily on the importance of nutrition in an obese America. Despite this pitfall, he is right about one thing: “food is a moral issue.” But, it goes far beyond that. Food is not only “a moral issue,” but also a physical one. Food allows us to survive, but can simultaneously kill us. Cheap, processed, low quality food, to be specific. The documentary, A Place at the Table (2012), displays how poverty and obesity go hand-in-hand. Someone with little money is unable to afford better quality, healthy foods; therefore, they are forced to buy processed foods. Consequently, the consumption of processed foods leads to obesity, a current epidemic in our country today. In relation to the podcast, Malcolm Gladwell openly defends Vassar’s “soggy pizza,” the adjective “soggy” implying low quality and something disgusting; while at the same time, criticizes Bowdoin’s fresh, experimental food, calling it “everything that’s wrong with American colleges.” I don’t agree with that notation. I believe that promoting unhealthy food is a major problem that further fuels the obesity epidemic. Vassar’s “soggy pizza” seems to fit this image. Sure, Vassar may have kale stir-fry, but a girl found a staple in her meal. Sure, Vassar has a salad bar, but it is unappetizing to students. As a result, students opt to eat unhealthy, processed meals, high in carbohydrates and low in essential nutrients. This kind of food often has a negative effect on a person’s cognitive abilities (Wolpert). College is a big step for students. For most, it’s the first time they will be away from their parents, and they have to learn how to take care of themselves. Bowdoin, while maybe overdoing it a little with the dessert, teaches students to value fresh, organic foods. Additionally, Bowdoin makes sure students receive proper nutrition, but serves the food in a way that makes kids want to eat the healthy food. Eggplant parmesan pancake? It provides vitamins and minerals like vitamin C and vitamin K (Staughton). Lobster, steak, and venison? It provides protein. Vegetarian and vegan options? It fosters the diversity in others’ diets. The same can’t be said for Vassar. While Vassar has good intentions for potential students by providing financial aid, they are a detriment to student health and well-being.

I understand where Gladwell’s argument comes from: he wants less fortunate kids to be able to get to college. I believe that desire is noble; however, there needs to be a balance between our two thoughts. It is absurd to sacrifice health for a large student body, just as it is absurd to sacrifice diversity for elegant food. Colleges shouldn’t be exactly like Vassar, nor should colleges be exactly like Bowdoin. Cafeterias need to serve a variety of fresh, but not necessarily fancy, food to a reasonably diverse student body.

© 2019 Nicolerhi


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

54 Views
Added on May 12, 2019
Last Updated on May 12, 2019

Author

Nicolerhi
Nicolerhi

About
Hiya! Howdy! Bonjour! Hola! I'm Nicolerhi and I, rather obviously, like to write! Poems are the best, but short stories and plays (thespian here!) are cool too! I like writing about religious subjects.. more..

Writing
Amnesiac Amnesiac

A Story by Nicolerhi