I will wait for eternity.

I will wait for eternity.

A Story by Alice Walker

  I wait on the bridge for you as the rain pours down upon my head. In my head I knew I should have left hours ago, but my heart would not let me leave here without you. 'Where are you?', I wondered continuously as I waited for you patiently. Who would cause me to wait so long for them to arrive, that was the question that would run through anyone's head if they saw me. And my reply would be, "My girlfriend, Kathrine," if anyone asked me.
  I continued to wait like a faithful fox for her as I shivered from the cold that seeped into my bones because of the freezing rain. It was well past the time I should have gone home, considering it was already deep into the evening. I was too faithful, too loyal and that was shown by how long I was willing to wait for one person to show up. I was starving, cold, and tired by the time midnight rolled around.
  My skin had started to show off a bluish tinge from the cold many hours before, making me assume I had frostbite and possibly hypothermia or pneumonia. I didn't give a damn about it though, I have had worse happen to me before. "Kathrine," I called out weakly as I shivered and coughed violently, "where are you, love?" I was worried about her, so very worried. She would always show up on time for our dates, but she would never cancel without calling me.
  I soon sank down to the ground, my legs finally giving away and forcing me to sit against the railing of the bridge. My breathing was getting heavy as my body was wracked with horrible coughs. 'Why aren't you here, Kathrine?', I questioned her mentally as I slowly felt my body shut down. The rain had stopped an hour before my body started to shut down, so the tears that were starting to quickly trail down my face were noticeable to anyone who looked my way.
  I cried as my coughs grew worse along with the body shaking shivers. I felt like I was dying as I still waited for her. My heart was breaking as I continued to wait for the girl who I knew would never come for me. I was going to die alone, just as I waited alone for her. Was this irony or some god's twisted form of punishment? What had I done to deserve to have this happen to me? Was everything I had done for nothing, just some feeble attempt at prolonging my slowly shriveling life?
  I slowly stopped caring as I felt my life drain away. Why should I care if I die, just as long as she knew I loved her with all my heart? I slid my heavy eyelids shut as I just allowed the god that decided my life should end cradle my soul and snip my lifeline before letting me fade away. I saw snippets of my life fly past before the darkness engulfed my vision.
  I felt light and airy, like I was no longer being held down by lead weights. Was this what being dead was like? If so, then it was so soothing to me. I opened my eyes slowly and blinked rapidly at the sight before me. I was staring at my own corpse, lying there completely still. I was floating a few inches above the ground, see through, and looking exactly as my corpse had before the rain shower. I was a ghost instead of a dying human.
  I sighed and sat on the railing of the bridge. It seemed like I was going to continue to wait for her to appear for me. I smiled and whispered softly, hoping my voices and words would reach her on the winds, "I will wait for you forever, my darling angel, my sweet Kathrine."

© 2013 Alice Walker


Author's Note

Alice Walker
I haven't edited my grammar or spelling yet, but please tell me what you think though!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Very emotional, I really felt for the unnamed "Waiter". I do wonder what Kathryn was doing though, wouldn't it be ironic if she had gotten confused and was waiting on another bridge and had also died. Oh that would be truly sad! Anyways beautiful work, I really saw it all going down in my head. Your grammar wasn't that bad, on my first reading I didn't catch anything.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Alice Walker

11 Years Ago

I do agree it is nice when an author leaves the ending or what happened to someone up to the reader... read more
Imara

11 Years Ago

You know what they say, great minds think alike!
Alice Walker

11 Years Ago

Yep!


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Reviews

Very emotional, I really felt for the unnamed "Waiter". I do wonder what Kathryn was doing though, wouldn't it be ironic if she had gotten confused and was waiting on another bridge and had also died. Oh that would be truly sad! Anyways beautiful work, I really saw it all going down in my head. Your grammar wasn't that bad, on my first reading I didn't catch anything.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Alice Walker

11 Years Ago

I do agree it is nice when an author leaves the ending or what happened to someone up to the reader... read more
Imara

11 Years Ago

You know what they say, great minds think alike!
Alice Walker

11 Years Ago

Yep!
it is good rather than better...you can work a little more on it until it becomes THE BEST:)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Alice Walker

11 Years Ago

Alright, and thank you!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

627 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 11, 2013
Last Updated on March 11, 2013
Tags: wait, death, rain, sorrow, crying, sad, loyalty, cause, effect, dying, eternity, forevermore

Author

Alice Walker
Alice Walker

O'Fallon, IL



About
I am an aspiring 16 year old author and poet. My stories tend to be on the dark side, but also show the lighter side of reality. I love music and drawing on top of writing whatever I feel like. That a.. more..

Writing
Listen Listen

A Poem by Alice Walker