Chapter II: The Sorting Hat

Chapter II: The Sorting Hat

A Chapter by Andrew Nightingale
"

It is time for the first years to be sorted into their houses. But where Albus ends up is not where you'd expect.

"

 “May I have your attention, please,” Professor McGonagall was awaiting the first year students at the top of the stairs, in front of the large doors that led to the great hall, where all the current students of Hogwarts were awaiting them. Professor McGonagall seemed, according to Albus, as old as the doors themselves. Albus referred the comment to Scorpius as they both chuckled under their breath. They immediately stopped when they saw that the Professor was giving them an ice-cold stare. “Do I need to concern myself with you two? Or should I just let you wait out here all night?”

Scorpius and Albus both replied in unison, “We’re sorry.” The professor than brought her attention to the crowd once more.

“When you come in through those doors, you are to follow me down the hall so that we may sort you properly into your respective houses. There are four and in each is a family. You will become a member of family. As a member of your house, you are to behave with the proper respect and etiquette and to not bring harm, physically, emotionally or mentally to your own and the remaining houses. Now, without further-of-due, please follow me.”

The professor then turned around and waved a finger at the door, sliding in sync with the doors as they opened. The large commotion inside the hall silenced as the current students looked toward the entrance. McGonagall walked with a fast pace up the aisle as the first years followed. Albus looked up at the ceiling as he gasped in awe. Rose suddenly nudged him in the side, “that’s a unique enchantment that is supposed to resemble the sky according to the caster’s desire. My mum told me about it.”

“Will you all wait here please,” the Professor stopped twenty feet away from the raised floor where a small chair and a brown-pointed hat were placed. Behind the chair was the entire staff of Hogwarts behind a long table. “When I call your name, you will sit on this chair and I will place the sorting hat on your head. When you are sorted, please find a seat at one of the tables with your house.” McGonagall then received a scroll of paper from the long table and started looking at the names. She called out the first student; Lily Lovegood, a small, white-haired girl with bright blue eyes. Her face was pale as her hair, and her expression was a bit odd, like someone who was sleepwalking or in a minor trance. She skipped to the chair, her attitude bubbly and full of joy yet was very quiet and introvert. When seated, the professor placed the hat on her head. The hat suddenly moved and seemed to grow within the wrinkles of the fabric a face.

“Ah, yes,” the sorting hat said in a very wise yet menacing voice, “another Lovegood. No doubt is in my mind where to put you. Ravenclaw!” After proclaiming her house, the Ravenclaw house cheered as Lily ran over to join her new family.

“Rose Weasley!” McGonagall announced as Rose made her way quietly to the chair. The sorting hat placed on her head, “hmmm. Interesting, very interesting. Very smart and yet I sense a certain, uncertainty within you. Strength, bravery, yet you prefer mind over matter. Let’s see here…Gryffindor!”

The Gryffindor house exploded with applause as Rose ran to join the house.

“Albus Potter!” McGonagall proclaimed as Albus made his way forward. Scorpius grabbed Albus’ hand as he whispered, “you should be in Slytherin with me. I think we make a great team.” Scorpius smiled kindly and let go as Albus continued up front. His thoughts seemed to be conflicted about which house he wished for. He wished to be in the same house as his father as well as his older brother, James. Rose was also in Gryffindor, so he thought that would obviously be the house for him. Albus sat on the seat, while the professor placed the sorting hat on his head. The hat suddenly came to life through the wrinkles of fabric,

“Ah yes, another Potter. I sense a known desire to follow tradition, and yet deep inside your mind there is a sense of opposition. Hmmm, difficult.” The sorting hat continued to think as Albus saw Scorpius in the crowd, smiling like a dear friend. Albus was, somewhere in his mind, wishing to be in Slytherin. Albus couldn’t place his finger on it, but he felt an unknown longing to be with the house of Slytherin. He remembered what his father had told him at the train station before leaving, “The sorting hat always places your choice into consideration.” But now, Albus didn’t know who to choose. Both houses were, surprisingly, equal to him in favor.

“It seems it’s up to me to decide then,” said the sorting hat, “since you can’t make up your mind. Hmmm, I know now. I am going to say…” the sorting hat gave a long pause before finally proclaiming, “Slytherin!”



© 2012 Andrew Nightingale


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Awesome job! I really liked the way you made Rose a little like Hermione, full of facts and advanced spells that nobody else knows or can do. Great job!

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

214 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on November 9, 2012
Last Updated on November 9, 2012
Tags: albus, harry, potter, and, the, book, of, shadows, sorting, hat, fantasy, hogwarts, slytherin


Author

Andrew Nightingale
Andrew Nightingale

CA



About
I love to write obviously. I love wrting fantasy fiction, romance, mystery, and sci-fi short story and novels. I also love poetry and everything in between. I am perfectly open to new ideas and people.. more..

Writing