I Watched Them Fall in Love

I Watched Them Fall in Love

A Story by Zoli Fern
"

This is a flash piece on campus life.

"

I watched them fall in love.

The words of my textbook seemed to blur together.  I couldn't quite remember what the last sentence had been about, and I frowned as I re-read it. 

Last year, the national academies of science in the eleven most influential nations came together to jointly call on every nation to “acknowledge that the threat of climate change is clear and increasing” and…

He pulled up a chair beside her, an oddly determined look on his face.  It was a mix of happiness, wariness, and laughter.  His paint covered jeans and Michigan sweatshirt looked slightly out of place next to her shiny black boots and dyed red hair.

Oh, right.  My reading.    I wondered if I should go outside, but then fiercely told myself to just focus. 

…and declare that the “scientific understanding of climate change is now sufficiently clear to justify nations taking prompt action.”…

His face flushed when he commented on her short skirt.  She stood up, to show him, I guess, and there was a momentary flash of cream underwear.  She put on a sleek leather jacket before sitting down again. 

They fell to small talk " scam emails from West Africa and twitter passwords.  I don’t think that either of them really cared for it, but they were both pretending that it was interesting.

His hand found the bare flesh of her leg.  Too quickly, she grasped it.  Her aura shifted; she wasn’t paying attention to his words anymore. 

Gosh " why was this so hard to understand? 

Global warming, along with the cutting and burning of forests and other critical habitats, is causing the loss of living species at a level comparable to the extinction even that wiped out dinosaurs…

Suddenly she stood, and leaned in to his neck.  I wondered if she was telling him a secret, but a moment later he kissed her. 

Her text book and notes were forgotten on the table; I couldn’t remember what I had been reading about.

 

© 2016 Zoli Fern


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very well told. I appreciate the way you bring your readers right into the experience. I had the feeling I was right there with you, observing.... Good writing.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow. Short, sweet, and to the point.

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

142 Views
2 Reviews
Added on February 7, 2016
Last Updated on February 12, 2016

Author

Zoli Fern
Zoli Fern

Marquette, MI



About
I started writing stories years ago, and I haven't been able to stop since. I'm always looking for ways to improve my craft, and learning from how others write. more..

Writing
Kana's Vardo Kana's Vardo

A Story by Zoli Fern