Epiphany in a Less Traversed World

Epiphany in a Less Traversed World

A Story by Nippentuk
"

...

"
Monday, the brim of the week. Wake up in the rising morn, seven-thirty. Prepare myself hygienically and mentally for the day, eight. Leave my home and perform the day's activities, nine until evening measures. And in between, interaction with (usually the same) people. Continue said schedule until Friday. Schedule may vary on weekends, depending on how accurate said schedule was carried out the week before.

In the morning, I look into the mirror, and I see the same person. I rise out from bed, hoping that somehow, when I look into the wall that looks back, another person will be gazing into me. I wish the mirror would go against it's intended functions and show me someone else. I'm tired of seeing the same face.

Out of my homeward boundaries, I meet my friends, all with the same faces. I, too, wish that sometimes, even if it be rare occasions, they would wear a new face. I adore my friends, but how interesting would it be if they dawned a new mask everyday, just to be more interesting, more appealing, more beautiful, more ugly to you? Maybe I go to far with this one...I suppose at that point, they would be a completely different person. But...I would be a different person as well. Maybe things would be better that way, to wake up and be a different person every dawn. You'd get to live the life of a random person, each day. Decide what they wear, choose what they eat. Or more long term actions, like marrying someone, or having a child, or killing someone. You could write a page in their story.

Fact. Life is monotonous. Sure, things change. Family members die, people go bankrupt, lucky souls win the lottery. But life never changes. We are all set on our schedules that we run on hour by hour, minute by minute, paycheck by expense. As human beings, we all live life, doing simply that: living. Often times, we search for something significant: money, sex, and other various forms of temporary ecstasy, or maybe smaller things, such as that look from a lover you've been dieing for, that special wink or smile. The funny thing is, we never find what we search for, or we seem to but we don't really, settling for something much less. And sometimes, we even dream of being someone else, even for just a day. We dream of living in their shoes. We dream of living their life, taking their role, making their decisions for them, all the while hoping someone is dreaming the same about us. When the dream is over, however, we rise and stretch, only to find that our wish hadn't come true. We find ourselves wearing the same mask we did the day before, and the year before, and the decade before.

Life is monotonous. End epiphany.

© 2010 Nippentuk


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This would make a great essay. I can really identify. I despise the monotony of life, the daily routines. I often envy my dogs that prefer things the same, nothing out of order. Move a piece of furniture and they bark and whine as it wasn't there before.

For me, I hate monotony. I"ll go out of my way to change the day. I'll take a different route to the office, even if it's longer, just to change the day or try a different coffee shop, anything, to make life different.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This would make a great essay. I can really identify. I despise the monotony of life, the daily routines. I often envy my dogs that prefer things the same, nothing out of order. Move a piece of furniture and they bark and whine as it wasn't there before.

For me, I hate monotony. I"ll go out of my way to change the day. I'll take a different route to the office, even if it's longer, just to change the day or try a different coffee shop, anything, to make life different.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

157 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on May 16, 2010
Last Updated on May 16, 2010
Tags: epiphany in a less traversed wor

Author

Nippentuk
Nippentuk

About
"The castle-building habit, the day-dreaming habit--how it grows! what a luxury it becomes; how we fly to its enchantments at every idle moment, how we revel in them, steep our souls in them, intoxica.. more..

Writing
Long Drops Long Drops

A Story by Nippentuk