Letter to King George the Third

Letter to King George the Third

A Story by Maureen V. Hanover

King George lll,

Your current attention is always during this time overseas, and you may not feel as if you have any more patience for measly, ungrateful colonists complaining and rebelling at every event and action, but please, hear me out on this. I am not them. You may believe as well that there can only be two perspectives on this entire dilemma - from British Loyalists and then from Colonists - but there are more. It’s called Mine.

As King, you may be wondering who this letter is even from, who dares, one powerless person on their own, questions their Great, Almighty King George lll, given there is no real name signed on this letter, so I will tell you right here. This is from one, single, only British Soldier.

I am part of your army. That’s what I do, and what I have been doing for years now. Every time we go into battle, even if we are strong and powerful as an army, as one man, I am nothing. I fear for my life, just as any man would. Would you call me a coward for admitting that?

I have in the past months or so have changed my perspective. I have begun to think and wonder what the reason for any of this really is. All this fighting, all these deaths and all this spilled blood everywhere we look - what is the reason for it? Nationalism? Land claims? Metals and ores? Money? Prisoners and slaves? Religion? Revenge? Petty! Petty reasons! Everyone has a story - but really, truly - all we really want is to live with our families, in health, be protected, be educated, be happy. We would never have to worry about petty wars, when and who is going to attack us next, who will reject us for who we are and what we do, traitors within us, or when your next meal is going to be and if it’s even safe enough to eat. British government may believe that it is providing everything that the people need. But the colonists don’t feel the same way. That is what they want, all they want, and why they are making a big deal over all this. They feel it is war for justice. But no war is just. There cannot be. It cannot be.

You needed to raise funds to pay war debt from the French and Indian war, so you taxed the colonies. They were unhappy about not being represented on the subject in Parliament, so they met at the Stamp Act Congress and also formed the Sons of Liberty. You repealed the Stamp Act as they wanted, but replaced it instead with the Declaratory Act. The Townshend Acts only lead to boycotts. What was the “Boston Massacre” to the colonists, was an accident to Britain. The Tea Act lead to the Boston Tea Party, which caused British government to lose huge profits. The standing army in the colonies were placed to protect them from attacks, but it just enraged them more, as a constant reminder of Britain’s rule. The Coercive Acts (the Intolerable Acts, as they have nicknamed it) was the last straw. The First Continental Congress was in response, and now they have prepared for war.

The battle at Lexington was just the start.

Everyone is aware of this “Declaration of Independence” being whispered around. The colonists, they believe that this is what is better for them than the British rule. They believe that it will provide the right protection of their natural rights. It is supposed to protect their rights to have a say in their government, lets them be able to defend their families, property, possessions, and beliefs, and will allow them to be expressive and say what they think and practice whatever religion they choose.

I have no doubt in my mind that after this Declaration is signed, there will be a long and bloody war. The colonies might win this yet.

I see there can really be only two sides to choose from, especially now the position I am in. So if I must choose, I shall. With British Parliament, I have lost all reason to fight. By slim margin as well, but there all the same, I have found it with the colonies.

I may be killed if I am ever found, and if not, by high possibility in the war, but hopefully not in vain. There must be a reason.

Call me a coward and a traitor, I don’t care. Call it treason. A coward refuses to embrace the truth. A brave man admits that he is cowardly.

You King George lll, and all members of the British Parliament, are cowards.



An American Revolutionist

© 2018 Maureen V. Hanover


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

141 Views
Added on June 6, 2018
Last Updated on June 6, 2018

Author

Maureen V. Hanover
Maureen V. Hanover

MI



About
Relatable teenager who has a spiritual connection with rhinos on multiple levels. more..

Writing