1984 - Alternative Ending

1984 - Alternative Ending

A Story by The Earl of Lemongrab
"

An alternative ending to Orwell's 1984 that is considerably happier

"

            Ever since he left Room 101, Winston was not the same. He did not need any affirmation or evidence to the point. He felt different. His thoughts were different and so were his feelings. This fact became even more apparent as he sat in the Chestnut Tree in his usual spot. The mirror in front of him allowed him to watch people go about their business without turning to look at them. He watched a burly man with a coat that seemed a few sizes too big get his glass refilled by the waitress. The man’s eyes betrayed the thoughts that were playing in his mind and Winston was aware of what the man was thinking. As the waitress walked away, the burly man leered at her, his lips slightly parted. Behind the man was a young couple, married but seemingly emotionless. They sat across one another, each staring across the other. Though their gazes met in the middle, they did not seem, to actually see each other. However, the one thing that caught Winston’s gaze was the telescreen located directly behind him. The sight of the screen made him distinctly aware of Big Brother’s presence, a fact that elicited a range of reactions from Winston. Somehow, the presence of the screen made him feel safe. It made him understand that he was a citizen of the most powerful nation and the he would forever be free from the grasp of the corrupt states of Eurasia and Eastasia. This made him glad and had a calming effect over him. The fact that the telescreen was behind him also made Winston slightly fearful. The forces that the telescreen represented and the power of Big Brother filled Winston with almost as much fear as they did peace of mind. He knew that this was a remnant of his torture sessions with O’Brien. He also knew that the sessions were a necessity. He was a threat to the nation. His mind and the ideas that it held had ran amok and O’Brien was the agent who had sacrificed his time and peace of mind to save Winston from the abyss that is dissidence. Still, this understanding did not help Winston recover from the fear. The fear of going back to the room with the porcelain walls or even worse, Room 101. However, Winston had an even larger worry.

            Even though he tried to suppress it, Winston was well aware of the existence of another thought in the back of his mind, one that was also evoked by the presence of the telescreen. He knew he that the thought existed, but at the same time, he was not quite sure what it was. To him, it felt like an idea that was in incubation. One that was still being hatched and that he could not wait to confront and embrace. The fact that the idea was related to the telescreen mortified Winston. He shuddered at the thought that O’Brien had not completely cured him of his disease, that his political re-education was unsuccessful. Yet he was anxious to find out whether his love for Big Brother was genuine. Winston was still thinking about his allegiance and political re-education when she entered the café. He did not see her at first, he heard the door to the café open but did not bother to see who had entered. In fact, Winston was not aware of her presence until Julia was behind. She stood there motionless, staring blankly at Winston through the mirror in front of him. A few moments passed before he noticed her and then he froze. His chest was tight and he suddenly felt hot. He could feel his heart racing and he knew all too well the reason why. Winston stood up and turned to face Julia. They were inches away from each other. His lips parted slowly as he tried to say the words, but before he could speak, Julia embraced him. Winston held Julia in his arms hoping and wishing that things could remain like that forever. There was a commotion in the room as people turned to face them, shocked by the open display of affection. Finally, the thought in the back of Winston’s head left the incubator. The idea was free in his mind and he embraced it along with Julia. It was resistance. An open, futile and suicidal form of resistance. The Brotherhood was not real and the party would never fall, but Winston was not going to succumb to defeat. He would resist the party openly, contemptuously. He was going back to Room 101 and this time, there would be no forgiveness. The thought made Winston happy because he knew that in death, he would finally emerge victorious.

© 2014 The Earl of Lemongrab


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

137 Views
Added on July 11, 2014
Last Updated on July 11, 2014
Tags: 1984, Orwell, Fiction