Breaking the News

Breaking the News

A Story by NoblePariah
"

I already added this a while ago, but took it down for editing, again, this isn't a story I want to give away with a description.

"

Breaking the News

      Bill slowly sat down on the bench. No, it was their bench. No one else would ever understand the importance of this bench, save the two of them. It was the bench where she had come, crying over the death of her father, and it was where he had listened and consoled her. In the rain. For six hours. They were strangers then, though it felt like they had always known each other.

      He rubbed his hand over his fist, the note folded neatly inside, nervously awaiting her arrival. He had sent her a text message telling her the time and place to meet him, and she had agreed, but was already a half hour late. This only made what he had to do harder, he didn't want to see sadness cross the face he loved, he didn't want to see her glossy lower lip quiver, most of all he didn't want to see tears leak from those beautifully deep forest green eyes.

      He had tried to hide the fact that anything was wrong ever since he had realized what he had to do. He couldn't take the lies and the secrecy anymore, he simply had to end it, to tell her the truth, as much for her benefit as for his. He hoped that she would show up soon, as the suspense was killing him.

      Turning around, he realized that the sun would probably only be up for another half hour, and he didn't want her to walk alone to find him in the dark. A layer of clouds was forming across the sky, carrying with it the threat of rain. He decided that if she didn't come soon, then he would go looking for her. He wouldn't forgive himself if something happened to her, especially if it was because he was trying to tell her the truth that should have come out so long ago.

      Finally, he saw her on the horizon, her long amber hair waving carelessly behind her. Her green eyes focused on him, watching as he stood to greet her. She was making it even more difficult. Everything that he loved about her was in full blossom today: She walked with confidence, yet an approachable kindness that had given him the courage to approach her in the first place. Her long coat conformed to the slender curves of her body shaking slightly with each step he took towards her. She almost seemed to be walking in slow motion, the last rays of the sun highlighting her form through the clouds.

      The only thing he noticed that was absent, was her smile; a benevolent curling of the lips that could stop time around the subject of her gaze, allowing them further time to appreciate the gift she had given them. The same smile that she gave to him at the end of their first meeting, sitting on this very bench. The same smile that he was sure, he would never see again.

      She reached him, surrounded by a cloud of lavender and sweet vanilla, leaving him wanting to hug her, if not to catch a whiff of the aromatic elegance, then simply to be close to her silky smooth skin. He refrained, knowing that would make this much harder. He noticed the clouds beginning to swell as the sky darkened around them.

      “Hey, I'm sorry to ask you to come on such short notice,” he said, wondering at the fact that she hadn't made to kiss, or even hug him, as was her ritual. He had always felt safe and welcome in her arms, but he knew that there would be no more solace in her embrace.

     She looked determined, though he couldn't figure out why. “I've been meaning to talk to you, anyway,” she said, looking at his chest. Her voice sounded unusually emotionless, as if she didn't want to be speaking to him. He nodded, wondering what it was effecting her so, and they sat next to each other on the bench. He looked into her eyes and listened as she said, “There's no easy way to say this Bill, but I'm leaving you.”

      The statement struck him like a brick to his face. This was the last thing that he expected from her, not to mention the last thing he had wanted to hear before he had even told her what he had to say. “But...” he stammered.

      She put up a hand, looking at the ground, “please, Bill. Don't make this harder than it needs to be, we've been drifting apart recently and I think you know that. There is someone else. I'm so sorry.”

      This revelation struck him even harder and the only thing keeping him from bursting into a fitful outburst of tears, was his sheer willpower. He couldn't tell her. He simply loved her too much, even now, to do that to her. There was a baseball in his throat, and someone had replaced his stomach with an empty blackness that he couldn't begin to describe. “Go,” he said. It was the only word he could manage without choking over it. His body began to shake and shudder uncontrollably.

      She looked as if she wanted to stay, to hear him yell, or berate her, but he simply couldn't do it. He didn't have the strength to yell or to speak, he simply had ceased to function. Besides, in his mind, he blamed himself as much, if not more than he blamed her for this. He looked directly at the pavement beneath his feet until she eventually stood. Before she walked away, she said, “goodbye, Bill. I'm so sorry.” As she walked away her silhouette disappeared against the outline of the sky as the sun was completely overtaken by clouds on the horizon.

      “Me too,” he managed to get out through an increasingly tightening throat. “Goodbye, my love.” The final words were too quiet for her to hear. He opened his fist, unfolding the note and letting the ring inside fall to the ground as he reread the note one last time. It read,

My love,


I don't deserve your forgiveness for keeping the truth from you, but

my time is running out. I was diagnosed with a rare type of cancer.

The doctors gave me three months to live, three months ago and I kept it

from you so that we could be together as we were meant to. I refused chemo

so you wouldn't know. The only regret I have is not asking you one thing;

will you allow me to die a king among men by marrying me?

Bill coughed into his hand, ignoring the blood that came out. Rain brought with it, the night. It still did not mask the tears that he left on the page as hung his head and dropped the note into the now pooling water at his feet.

© 2013 NoblePariah


Author's Note

NoblePariah
Not totally done, I want to work on some clumsy wording in a few places, but any and all opinions still welcome. As I said it's a re upload of one I took down for a while.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I have read several of your stories and enjoyed them all. You write real tear-jerkers. This story has one tiny technical mistake.

In this sentence: "He nodded, wondering what it was effecting her so, and they sat next to each other on the bench." Effecting should be affecting.

Posted 10 Years Ago


NoblePariah

10 Years Ago

Thank you again, I do have a tendency to write a lot of stuff on the sad side (it's weird, it's tota.. read more
Not bad, but there are a few places that don't seem right for the piece, and I think you haven't quite gotten the tone and message nailed down yet. I'd go over this and make sure you're saying all that you want to with it.

Posted 11 Years Ago


NoblePariah

11 Years Ago

I can see that, as I say in the note for reviewers, I'm still working on some clumsy spots that I've.. read more
I kind of don't understand why he doesn't read the note and go and be with her to make a happy ending. I don't know if I've truly understood the context but otherwise it's good and I like how attract you make the female in the story.

Posted 11 Years Ago


NoblePariah

11 Years Ago

Thank you once again for reading and reviewing, as for the ending, it's to show just how much he car.. read more
Persona

11 Years Ago

Okay thank you for the explanation!
Great and powerful story. The ending was exceptional!! The only thing that maybe would hold the reader a bit more is adding a little bit of suspence before she tells him that she is leaving him. And that is just my own take on it. Once again, very good story. Keep up the good work!

Posted 11 Years Ago


NoblePariah

11 Years Ago

Thank you! I've often thought about extending that part, I'm just working on how exactly to build su.. read more
zach h.

11 Years Ago

It doesn't have to be something complex, it could be just breaking up the sentance that she says wit.. read more
A sweet tale of selfless love. If he had asked her to marry then it would have been selfish. I like the twist at the end.

Posted 11 Years Ago


NoblePariah

11 Years Ago

Thank you and I agree, that's why I had him stay silent, one last sacrifice for the woman he loved.
I am speechless- incredible story! Loved every second of it. The end brought chills down my spine & tears across my face! I look forward to reading more of your work. Brilliantly written- Thank you for sharing this unique & intricate piece of work.

Posted 11 Years Ago


NoblePariah

11 Years Ago

Thank you very much for the excellent review! I'm glad you enjoyed the story!
Wow.....I sure didn't expect that twist at the end. I could feel the emotions through your words, and the imagery was fantastic. Great job.

Posted 11 Years Ago


NoblePariah

11 Years Ago

Thank you very much! I'm glad the imagery worked, I've changed it up quite a few times before I was .. read more
Traci

11 Years Ago

It worked alright, it brought me to tears. I guess because it felt so realistic. Aren't we our own w.. read more
NoblePariah

11 Years Ago

Thank you, and that's a fair point, I don't know if I'm satisfied with anything just yet, but withou.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

650 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on November 19, 2012
Last Updated on October 18, 2013
Tags: sad, lonley, breakup

Author

NoblePariah
NoblePariah

About
I am a writer trying to better myself in the craft. I'm 22 and in college, pursuing a degree in creative writing. Please don't add me and send me a read request without reviewing a piece of my work. .. more..

Writing
Harmonicas Harmonicas

A Story by NoblePariah



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..