Beauty of the World

Beauty of the World

A Story by NoblePariah
"

Just a small short story that I wrote in between the piece I've been working on for a while.

"

 

      “How ya' doing over there Mister Lenson?” Andy asked.
      “Good. I'll be better in a few minutes,” he replied, putting a finger to the bandage wrapped around his eyes. “I haven't seen the beauty of the world in twenty-five years . . . that's probably as long as you've lived.”
       Andy smiled, “Give or take a few.” He was happy that Mister Lenson had opted for the experimental surgery; most people over seventy-five deemed it not worth the risks, but Mister Lenson had readily accepted the danger, under one condition; someone had to bring him to a spot of his choosing to take off the bandages.
       Andy volunteered immediately; though, he had to convince the other doctors due to the unsanitary conditions of Lenson's choice. He knew that this would be one of those days that could not only change the future of ocular treatments, but also Mister Lenson's life.
      As Andy pulled up to the gravel parking spots, Mister Lenson stirred at the noise, saying, “Ahh, you really did bring me here; thank you so much, Andy.”
      “Mister Lenson, it is my pleasure. It's sunset, just like you asked. Where would you like me to take you?”
      “There should be a bench on the hill; I should like to sit there,” he said, smiling slightly.
      Andy had already seen the bench; it was overlooking the sunset and was serenely beautiful. The hospital hadn't left him time for sight seeing lately.
      Andy gingerly walked the old man up to the top of the hill and sat down next to him before asking, “Are you ready Mister Lenson?”
      “Yes, I believe I am.”
      Andy could see the man shaking next to him; he was biting his lip with nervous excitement, however, something in the old man's demeanor betrayed a sadness as well.
      Andy reached over and began unwrapping the bandages, saying, “you chose a fine spot. The sunset from here truly seems to be the best embodiment of beauty of the world, that I can think of.”
      “No young man, I don't believe it is. I came here not for the sunset but to honor a magnificent sight that I've missed for twenty-five years,” replied Mister Lenson, pulling a photo from his wallet.
      As the final bandages came off, he looked down at the picture with wonderment and sorrow evident across his face. “The beauty of the world," he whispered quietly. A tear fell past his now smiling lips.
      Andy looked down at the photo, stunned. The old picture was of a middle-aged woman. One blue eye stared out at him past half a head of long brown hair; the rest of her face was scarred with deep burn marks. “I believe you're right, Mister Lenson. I believe you're right.”

© 2014 NoblePariah


Author's Note

NoblePariah
First draft, I'm thinking of expanding it into a longer short story. Any opinions welcome.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Don't expand it. This is amazing. No need to add in anything else. The information given is sufficient. I don't believe you need to add words. Sometimes less is more.
lissalovesyou:

Posted 9 Years Ago


NoblePariah

9 Years Ago

Thank you, I definitely think I'm going to keep it as is. Your point about less being more is well t.. read more
Nice draft, Beauty is not a property that exist in Reality, Beauty exist inside our mind

Posted 10 Years Ago


NoblePariah

10 Years Ago

Thank you, I agree entirely.
I think this is just perfect as it is. Obviously there's a story behind this photo, but you don't need to tell it. You've given the reader, in these few words, all that should be known.

Posted 10 Years Ago


NoblePariah

10 Years Ago

Thank you much, in that case, I do think that I'll just edit it for errors rather than extending it... read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

366 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 10, 2013
Last Updated on April 3, 2014
Tags: beauty, blindness

Author

NoblePariah
NoblePariah

About
I am a writer trying to better myself in the craft. I'm 22 and in college, pursuing a degree in creative writing. Please don't add me and send me a read request without reviewing a piece of my work. .. more..

Writing
Harmonicas Harmonicas

A Story by NoblePariah