Voyages

Voyages

A Story by NoelHC
"

#WriteFridays Challenge on http://infamous-scribbler.com/blog/ Story Cubes Challenge

"

King Nikolai peered out the tall window, paced around the room, and returned to the window, looking out it again, searching the horizon. Clearly anxious, he turned and seated himself at the head of a long, heavy dark table and dined alone. His heavy crown was on the table beside him.


The only light in the cavernous dining hall came through the tall window on the outer wall. The sun passed behind a bank of clouds, the room darkened .


The king picked at his meal of boiled crab,distracted and agitated. The disruption caused by the increasing darkness only served to make him more disturbed.


He got up from the table and walked over to the sole window, on the ledge was his telescope, he picked it up and peered down the road leading to the castle. Where was Sir Argent? The knight had ridden off two days ago with a small entourage to collect the taxes due from the surrounding villages.


He spotted three horses with riders as they exited the edge of the forest. Sir Argent's banner was held by one, but it almost trailed on the ground. Another rider was slumped on the neck of his mount. Only one rode upright, Sir Argent, the king recognized his distinctive helmet with its golden horns. Ten riders had left; only three returned.


As the king hurried down the stairs, and through the passages to the drawbridge he wondered what could have happened. There were rumors in the kingdom the shopkeepers and the farmers were angry with the increased taxes that were collected to fund the war against king Ethelred in the kingdom across the Great Valley.


"Open the gates!" the king commanded. "Sir Argent is approaching." He watched as the guards applied their strength to the long handles on the gears that connected to the chains that lowered the drawbridge down over the moat surrounding the castle. The gears creaked, the chains rattled, and the huge gate thudded heavily as it hit the ground on the other side.


The three riders crossed the bridge, the king could see they were injured. Sir Anthony turned to the castle guard and commanded "Close the gates, they are right behind us!" He dismounted and faced the king. "Your Grace," as he handed over a small leopard fur pouch "this is all we could collect. We were attacked by a large angry mob in Middleford. Farmers, yeomen, the shopkeepers, there were too many of them. Sir Giles, my bannerman and I were the only to survive."


King Nikolai looked at the paltry few coins, he knew he needed pots, chests full of gold to continue the battle. This war against King Ethelred had taken a heavy toll.



Story cubes image below


© 2015 NoelHC


Author's Note

NoelHC
Words in italics are the images on the cubes.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Ha-ha! I love this idea. You used the story cubes to inspire a real, written story. Wonderful! Is this some kind of writer's game of chance? Or a challenge, perhaps? You brought the King's chamber and his anxiety alive. Very nice writing, Noel. I really enjoyed this one. I was sad it was so short..:)

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

NoelHC

9 Years Ago

Thank Bright. Indeed it is a challenge. A good friend of mine sent me a link to her friend's blog at.. read more



Reviews

well noel this is a great idea,you should sponcor a contest here

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

NoelHC

8 Years Ago

The concept is that of another author, she is a friend of a friend and posts her challenge weekly on.. read more
 wordman

8 Years Ago

i understand that
Well done! You met the challenge admirably--with cleverness and imagination.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

NoelHC

8 Years Ago

Thanks Jennie. I find I really look forward to these challenges every week.
Fantastic idea. This was a very clever and refreshing piece. Top drawer.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

NoelHC

9 Years Ago

Thank you for the visit and the kind words.
Very interesting challenge, and over all well done. I stumbled a little over Sir Argent - (Sargeant? -- was that intentional?) Lastly, I think you meant war in the last line.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

NoelHC

9 Years Ago

Actually I was thinking in French as the knight had to go collect coin from the villages, I was thin.. read more
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
ron
This is a great story.
Never heard of story cubes but I like the idea.
Once again Noel you have written something great.
I only wish I could write like you.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

NoelHC

9 Years Ago

Thank you Ron, I appreciate your kind words. I am just going to upload another story, check it out. .. read more
NoelHC

9 Years Ago

I am not surprised the king and knights would appeal to you BTW. : )
ron

9 Years Ago

Your very welcome Noel.
Lol why what ever gave you that idea.
That was fun, love what you did with the story cubes great job!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

NoelHC

9 Years Ago

Confession, that cube lower right at the 5 o'clock position, I have no idea what the picture is. It .. read more
Ha-ha! I love this idea. You used the story cubes to inspire a real, written story. Wonderful! Is this some kind of writer's game of chance? Or a challenge, perhaps? You brought the King's chamber and his anxiety alive. Very nice writing, Noel. I really enjoyed this one. I was sad it was so short..:)

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

NoelHC

9 Years Ago

Thank Bright. Indeed it is a challenge. A good friend of mine sent me a link to her friend's blog at.. read more
Challenge met, I say. When one is set on war … they are their own greatest enemy.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

NoelHC

9 Years Ago

Thanks Pryde, I had never heard of these cubes, when a mutual friend (her entry is at http://liteffu.. read more
Pryde Foltz

9 Years Ago

3500 words a day … that is impressive.
NoelHC

9 Years Ago

She did that in a few hours in the evening. actually. It was her second effort at creative writing, .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

415 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 13, 2015
Last Updated on March 4, 2015

Author

NoelHC
NoelHC

Alberta, Canada



Writing
Shah Mat Shah Mat

A Book by NoelHC



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The Party The Party

A Poem by s y e


If You... If You...

A Poem by s y e


Que Sera, Sera Que Sera, Sera

A Poem by s y e


Silent Dreams ~ Silent Dreams ~

A Chapter by s y e