Thanatopsis

Thanatopsis

A Story by NoelleRash
"

A woman always concerned with death. Chesus Christo i hate writing these, just read it then you can tell me what its about.

"

I sit on my back porch, nose shoved into a book.

 

Leaves of Grass, it's always been my favorite.

 

The air was cool, the birds were chirping, one of those perfect days, you know?

 

Pink was hanging at the edge of the sky, pulling the blue down slowly until all that will be left is blackness, an abyss. The small puffs of white floating around will be replaced by the far away sparkle of celestial bodies, which, really, are always there, but just covered by a much less dramatic refraction of light.

 

My husband came out, rubbed my shoulders and kissed my forehead before sitting down beside me. He still smelled like freshly baked bread from work.

 

"How was your day, sweetie?" He asks as he puts his arm around me. I could hear him smiling. He was so happy.

 

I looked up to the sky focusing on the disappearing blue and I told him,

 

"I'm dying".

 

It took him a second to reply, with each millisecond the smile sliding form his face. He leaned away from me and crossed his arms and said sternly, "You are always dying"

 

He thinks I'm a hypochondriac. And it is true that every so often I have come to him saying I have some illness or another, but I just know I'm dying. I can feel it in every part of me, some blackness sliding over me until I will so be nothing but a blackness, an abyss.

 

I told him about the my latest disease and I have all the symptom: easy fatigue and loss of energy, unusually rapid heartbeat, particularly with exercise, shortness of breath and headache, particularly with exercise, difficulty concentrating, dizziness, pale skin, leg cramps, insomnia. All of the signs were there. I'm dying.

 

He just stood up and told me, "Maybe you should go to the doctor." and walked inside, slamming the door.

 

I sat outside a whole lot longer and watched the darkness consume the light.

© 2012 NoelleRash


Author's Note

NoelleRash
I wrote another paragraph about the morning she about to go to the doctor but I'm not sure where to go with it next. Does she die or is she pregnant? Death or Life. help me with the pros and cons.

Then i was thinking maybe i should just stop. Does the point come across. Does she already seem dead to you? Help please.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

What you have so far is very good, but I think you should carry it out to a more satiable conclusion. You know how some folks get upset when a movie "doesn't end right"? With this, you've pulled the reader in and got them interested, and then chopped it off. At least give a clue as to what her condition might actually be. This is just my opinion, of course.

Posted 11 Years Ago


NoelleRash

11 Years Ago

Yes I appriciate all opinions. :) thank you.

Actually the syptoms she explains are thos.. read more
Samuel Dickens

11 Years Ago

It's your baby, and should please you above all others.
NoelleRash

11 Years Ago

Well I kind of like the idea that pieces of literature are always up to interpretation so it's my ba.. read more
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
TLK
["He thinks I'm a hypochondriac. And it is true that every so often I have come to him saying I have some illness or another, but I just know I'm dying. I can feel it in every part of me, some blackness sliding over me until I will so be nothing but a blackness, an abyss."]

Some readers will be scratching their heads and asking "what's that"? I know, not many, not in the age of 'google-me-symptoms'. Still, some people have a ridiculously restricted vocabulary... doesn't stop 'em writing, though.
However, others are shouting YES I KNOW. I CAN TELL. She could be looking at his disbelieving eyes (but, shudder, don't call them that. 'Disbelieving eyes'. Blech) and thinking, "yes, I was wrong this time, and that time, and THAT time" -- each one more ridiculous -- "but this time is different..."

That would not TELL us she was a hypochon... whatever that big words means (me not no many words)... but SHOW us.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Show,_don%27t_tell



I'm really hot on this kind of character development because I'm reading Saul Bellow's Herzog, and it is an absolute masterclass in using memories to develop the multiplicity of a character. Moses Herzog is a mix of tenderness and misanthropic hate, and you are literally TOLD nothing about him. It's all show. It's amazing.

Posted 11 Years Ago


NoelleRash

11 Years Ago

I do not want that neurosis to shine through at all. I dont want her to be seen as mental ill at all.. read more
TLK

11 Years Ago

Neurosis is something of an outmoded term, so it sounds scarier than it should. It means: "...a cla.. read more
NoelleRash

11 Years Ago

well i was going more along the lines of "existence is futile", in your words. her husband comments .. read more
A great vignette but "hustband" and you have "four heads?" What is this world coming to? Shesh! You must be typing this into here directly. I think it works much better if you do your writing in a real text editor (outside of this website) and then paste it back in. Just a thought. Keep up the good work! :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


NoelleRash

11 Years Ago

i hate writing descriptions because Im just the writer. I think its the readers job to give it meani.. read more
Ufi Auttorri ~ UfoAuthor

11 Years Ago

Woo-hoo! I can now add irony to my resume and remove the part about being a good ironer. My dear, .. read more
NoelleRash

11 Years Ago

Thank you so much :) you are too kind.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

246 Views
3 Reviews
Added on August 15, 2012
Last Updated on August 22, 2012
Tags: death, hypochondriac

Author

NoelleRash
NoelleRash

Laurel, DE



About
I just graduated high school and I'm taking a year off before I go back to school to major in English and become teacher. I've always been a story teller since I could talk and it feels like the only .. more..

Writing
Power Power

A Poem by NoelleRash


The Grain The Grain

A Story by NoelleRash