OWN YOUR ENVIRONMENT

OWN YOUR ENVIRONMENT

A Story by Noor.92
"

It is small initiative to make people realize and own their responsibility towards their Environment.

"

I do not hesitate to say that just like majority of Pakistani youngsters, I also wanted to get admitted in a medical college and become a brilliant doctor. However that was not my fate and I started looking for some alternative to pursue my studies. While trying to select a field for higher studies after F.Sc, I came to look over the degree of BS. Environmental Sciences. By doing some related research on internet, I was completely obsessed by it. Since some element of patriotism is inherent in me since birth, so I decided to create a healthy and clean environment for my country by becoming an Environmentalist. So, that was the beginning of my passion.

Some people are very ambitious in their thoughts but there are certain issues when you try to bring those thoughts into actions. Same is the case with me. Now that I am pursuing my four year degree of BS.Environmental Sciences, three years already passed; I have realized that it is not a child’s play to make my country or even my city a clean, free of dirt place to live.

 An environmentalist has, no doubt, the knowledge about various aspects like what pollutants are entering our environment, what are their sources, what disastrous impact deforestation is having on atmosphere, what industries are responsible for adding chemicals in fresh water resources,  what amount of fresh water is still left clean in our region and many other questions of similar nature. We are able to give their answers in a very detailed manner but the environmentalist cannot give the answers to questions like how to make people not to throw garbage on roadsides, how to convince elite class people to use one family car instead of each member having their own, how to make them realize that having a clean air to breath is far better than having a personal 1600 CC car, and most importantly how to give sense to our authorities to clear up huge piles of junk from road sides and household localities and equally punish the polluters whose emissions are crossing permissible limits without discriminating on the basis of their financial status.

What I am trying to say is that cleaning up the environment is not just those peoples’ concerns who are studying the environment rather, it is everyone’s business. Our surrounding can only become a healthy and pollutant free place when each and every person is concerned about it at individual level. The need of hour is that we change our mindsets and get free from this selfish thinking of just keeping our own living place clean and making the outside filthy. It makes me uneasy when people driving on highways just slide down their car windows and throw away trash in the middle of the road without even a single thought. They do not feel responsible for the cleanliness of any place other than their own dwelling. There are businessmen who cut down trees on large scale to increase their finances but they do not pay attention to the fact that increased amount of deforestation is leading to polluted air and more respiratory illnesses. The industrialists are not paying attention. Hence, we as human beings are degrading our environment ourselves without realizing that nature is made for us and it’s our duty to save it, protect it and use it in an appropriate way. The best thing that all human beings have to realize is that we should think up of those ideas and techniques on personal as well as societal level to save our environment that are cheap and applicable and which can make our environment safe and sound for present as well as future generation. As said by Theodore Roosevelt;

“To waste, to destroy our natural resources, to skin and exhaust the land instead of using it so as to increase its usefulness, will result in undermining in the days of our children the very prosperity which we ought by right to hand down to them amplified and developed”

© 2014 Noor.92


Author's Note

Noor.92
Since it is my first literary work, so you may expect some beginner's mistakes. However, I would like to receive sincere advice and reviews on the essay.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I think you're absolutely right. We need to think about how to clean our environment at an individual level. Once everyone starts doing their part, the world could become a much cleaner place. Well written!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Noor.92

9 Years Ago

Agreed...thanks sherni..:-)
With good writing skills, you've produced a convincing argument for environmentalism. Mankind is well on his way to destroying the only place we have to live, and mostly for the sake of profit. I hope he will mend his ways.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Noor.92

9 Years Ago

Thankyou sir, I am glad you liked it..
At the present, there is a need that humans come to rea.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

608 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 31, 2014
Last Updated on October 31, 2014
Tags: Environment, Clean, Surrounding, Safe, Keep, People

Author

Noor.92
Noor.92

Pakistan



About
I am an Environmentalist or one can say, an Environmental Scientist. Writing is just my hobby since childhood. Now when I am free from other chores and in my own world, I yearn to write and put my f.. more..

Writing