GMOs-Not that Bad

GMOs-Not that Bad

A Story by Noor.92
"

Technology isn't bad, its us who need to use it properly..

"

“All the food we eat-every grain of rice and kernel of corn-has been genetically modified. None of it was here before mankind learned to cultivate crops. The question is not whether our food has been modified, but how”


This was a statement given by Michael Specter and I have a strong faith in his words.  Imagine how we would have been able to survive without such new varieties of foods with improved taste, attractive appearances and prolonged storage period. If we have a look at previous days when humans were dependent only on natural resources without playing with their genes, we can observe clearly what a thrifty and plain life our ancestors were living. At that time, man used to focus only on his survival and not on comfort. Also, there were less requirements and necessities for living serenely, with plenty of resources and a limited number of Homo sapiens. Those people never heard of such terms like population boom.  So, lets us ponder, is it possible for us today to live without modifying our resources? No sir, it’s indeed not. The need for GMOs in our life is more than merely increasing our living standards.


According to the 2007 data of US population division, about 200,000 more people are added to the world food demand each day and the world’s population which was estimated to be 6.7 billion in 2006 is expected to increase up to 9.2 billion in 2050. With this abrupt increase in world’s population, the rate of famine stricken and malnourished people is also increasing tremendously. FAO in 2015 reported that some 795 million people in the world do not have enough food to lead a healthy active life. That's approximately about one in nine people on the planet. So what is the need of hour at the moment? It is certainly to increase our world food demand and get rid of food insecurity that is prevailing in the globe like an un-manageable menace. And here comes the utmost need for genetically modified organisms. Science and technology is doing its best to help the needy people of the world, so why should we try to find loopholes in something this is being done for our well-being. Because of the GMOs, worlds’ food and nourishment demands are being gradually handled in a wise and systematic manner. There has been a significant increase in the yield and pathogenic resistance of food crops through genetic variations. Moreover, the new varieties are being modified in such a way that enhances their nutritional content which is again helping the world in getting rid of undernourishment.

While keeping all of these facts in mind, one can certainly not blame genetically modified organisms since it is the need of hour to modify our natural assets to get the best out of them and live a satisfactory life. It is true that GMOs may have certain drawbacks and limitations but what we need to do is not to go against GMOs but to revise the ways and methods that are employed for their production and make them completely safe and sound for consumption since ‘the question is not whether our food has been modified, but how’ it has been modified'. 

 

 

 

© 2016 Noor.92


Author's Note

Noor.92
A sweet and simple argument..and related to my field..Have a Read please ;)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Advancement can do harm or good? Maybe both.
"It is true that GMOs may have certain drawbacks and limitations but what we need to do is not to go against GMOs but to revise the ways and methods that are employed for their production and make them completely safe and sound for consumption since ‘the question is not whether our food has been modified, but how’ it has been modified'. "
It is a new world. People rarely use fresh food and need longer life for can food. What is the answer? Powerful and worthwhile thoughts shared. Thank you.
Coyote

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Noor.92

8 Years Ago

Thanks a lot for reading and agreeing with my thoughts..Coyote.. ;)
Coyote Poetry

8 Years Ago

You are welcome my friend.



Reviews

Advancement can do harm or good? Maybe both.
"It is true that GMOs may have certain drawbacks and limitations but what we need to do is not to go against GMOs but to revise the ways and methods that are employed for their production and make them completely safe and sound for consumption since ‘the question is not whether our food has been modified, but how’ it has been modified'. "
It is a new world. People rarely use fresh food and need longer life for can food. What is the answer? Powerful and worthwhile thoughts shared. Thank you.
Coyote

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Noor.92

8 Years Ago

Thanks a lot for reading and agreeing with my thoughts..Coyote.. ;)
Coyote Poetry

8 Years Ago

You are welcome my friend.
It's indeed the question how they manufacture it. If the methods are tested and proved good, why not. :) Rudi

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Noor.92

8 Years Ago

Yes Exactly .. :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

453 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 28, 2016
Last Updated on February 28, 2016
Tags: GMOs, hybrid, improved

Author

Noor.92
Noor.92

Pakistan



About
I am an Environmentalist or one can say, an Environmental Scientist. Writing is just my hobby since childhood. Now when I am free from other chores and in my own world, I yearn to write and put my f.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Until Until

A Poem by willweb