What We Have Lost

What We Have Lost

A Story by Briana
"

A young girl finds a room of treasure lost while a society crumbles around her.

"

Dust and forgotten memories line these walls. I cannot remember the last time I ran a finger along this many spines shoved flush against one another. The digit comes back grayish, the layers of neglect coating the pad and dusting into the air behind its passing. My eyes follow the disturbance as dust lifts and falls, a million points of tiny light in the waning sunlight. It is beautiful. It is achingly miserable.

I continue my tracing, walking along each wall slowly and changing shelves as I go. A particular volume catches my finger. Something small and rectangular has stopped my mute traveling. On a whim, I enclose my hand around its thick leather cover and carefully free it from its home.

Blowing a puff of air, I relieve it of its dust and read the title under my breath. Fahrenheit 451. A bookmark stands out from a point somewhere near the story’s end. Someone was reading this and never got the chance to finish it. I touch the small protruding piece of cardboard with a shaking fingertip. That this should be the novel my wandering hand found feels less than coincidence and more a sign. The implications quicken my heart, sending my labored breath out in short, quiet gasps. I trace the slightly raised letters in fearful reverence. My hand trembles and stops just shy of opening the book, fears launching forward to attack my resolve.

“You’ve come this far,” I tell myself, tell my squeezing heart and fluttering stomach.

The book falls open to the marked page, and I cradle it inside the crook of my arm as if I am holding an infant. The bookmark has long faded, its message no longer discernible. There is a hush in the air that has nothing to do with the hidden, half buried library I stand in. The world seems to be holding its breath, waiting for me to dare read out loud what has been forbidden for more than a decade. Stale air fills my lungs and burns my throat as I dredge in a deep breath.

My voice drops from my lips without buoyancy, settling onto my shoes with all the grace and authority of dripping paint. I stumble over words, add pauses and syllables where there are none, but I am reading. My voice begins to gain strength with each word unpunished, every new line leaving me with more fervor and confidence.

My voice falls silent as the sun sinks beneath the horizon, its final rays suddenly too thin and far apart to pierce the cold darkness any longer. I cannot bring myself to close the book, even as the letters become indistinguishable. Doing so would break the magic I only just reawakened. I stand on my toes, novel still open in my slender grasp, and peek through the narrow window above my head. Industry smog billows out of factories that dot every corner, yellowing the air and clogging the senses. Tiny houses slump in their shadows, their inhabitants not yet home from the day shift. The children will come first, black skinned from coal dust. They’ll file into their houses two at a time, always one boy and one girl, and begin preparing the day’s meal. I crunch my nose as a wayward strand of sunlight flashes into my eyes just before going out entirely. Another day gone, and now I will be late with supper.

Finally closing the book and sliding it back into place, I take a moment to look down at my standard issue overalls. They are too short and faded, the frayed material far from its original light blue. The thought of another day in the mine sparks a moment of madness. I imagine living here in the library, hidden away from the patrols and their stun guns. I could sneak in food, drink water from the creek. No one would know. They would search for a day, a week, but then the order would inevitably come down that Mother and Father should begin preparing for my replacement. They would be given a new daughter, a new “Hally”. In a month, I would be long forgotten.

The irrationality left me as quickly as it came. Of course they would find me. They always find the runners, the hiders. Revolution used to churn the air and bate the breath of the people, but now there is nothing but coal dust and broken spirit rattling in and out of their lungs. Of course they would find me.

The sudden bells of the clock tower are what finally push my feet across the room, past the shelves with their hidden treasures and lies about better times. I sink onto my knees and crawl into the tunnel I found weeks before. I fell upon it by accident, my weary feet stumbling me into the wall one night after shift. I nearly missed it then, too, but my toe caught on the little opening and sent me sprawling. When my eyes lifted and saw the hole just big enough for a girl my size to slink through, I knew instantly that it should be avoided and kept secret. Something forbidden and infinitely exciting filled the air that twirled around the entrance of that mysterious cave. Only today did I find myself with enough courage to follow it.

Outside, the smog settles in my throat with a familiar burn. I swallow against it and carefully stand. No one is there to see my exit, and I start toward the house. At the end of the road I turn the corner and am surprised by bright sunlight. It is not quite as late as I feared, the factory in front of the window having created a false sunset with its great girth. I stare at the sun mutely as it paints the sky red, purple, and gold. It seems to reach out and grip the houses within its reach, warming them against their fate. A flag marked with the symbol of our oppressors hangs weakly in the evening breeze, its folds barely rustling as if in fear. The entire city seems to shrink into the waning light, leaning towards it as it departs for just a moment more of its warmth. It is beautiful. It is achingly miserable.   

© 2015 Briana


Author's Note

Briana
We were told to put the reader in a place without directly telling them what's happened. Please be honest! Did I manage to get you there?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I love the beautiful and ethereal descriptions. It seemed like there were no words wasted and they were all there in the right place. At first it seemed almost Gothic and I definitely didn't picture that scene taking place in a dystopia at the end. I thought it was very well done.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Briana

8 Years Ago

Thank you so very much! I'm quite proud of this one, and I'll more than likely be expanding it!
Nila M.

8 Years Ago

Yeah, it has the quality of something that could very easily become quite a story. What I really app.. read more



Reviews

I love the beautiful and ethereal descriptions. It seemed like there were no words wasted and they were all there in the right place. At first it seemed almost Gothic and I definitely didn't picture that scene taking place in a dystopia at the end. I thought it was very well done.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Briana

8 Years Ago

Thank you so very much! I'm quite proud of this one, and I'll more than likely be expanding it!
Nila M.

8 Years Ago

Yeah, it has the quality of something that could very easily become quite a story. What I really app.. read more
I love this! It is beautiful. I usually can't get into stories like this... they usually just bore me. But this... whew! Just blew me away. I want to know more about this world in which "Hally" lives. I want more!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Briana

8 Years Ago

I'm so grateful for your review! I'm working on expanding this story as we speak!
I am not a particular fan of dystopian novels, but this piece had me hooked from the very first line, an achievement that is very hard to accomplish when I read and is usually reserved for my favorite authors. After this you may have very well become one. The way in which you describe Hally's reading is so beautiful and describes almost a beauty that we in our society overlook. I was thrown into a foreign land, jet as you'd hoped, but you were able to paint it into a second reality. I really hope you continue this story. Also, is this part of a contest?

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Briana

8 Years Ago

I can't express what your words mean to me! No, it's not part of a contest but rather a story writte.. read more
BlackenedLight

8 Years Ago

I feel you. I am absolutely horrid at planning my writing and most of the time I end up doing it wit.. read more
You definitely got me, although I'm not sure what I'm feeling. I want to know more about this ''Hally'' and this world she lives in- reading this story sent a million different images and ideas into my head. You have huge talent! Please do me a favor and never stop writing, the world needs writers like you!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Briana

8 Years Ago

I can't thank you enough for your kind words! I can't wait to return the favor! You're just a spot o.. read more
It made me think of being a kid and hearing the song "In The Year 2525" on the radio.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Briana

8 Years Ago

Thanks very much!
Yes you got me to a place unknown. You describe the library in a wonderful way. You can feel that your main character feels safe there, away from her oppressors. For a moment she wonders whether she can stay there but then reality settles in. It makes me wonder what will happen next.

Well done.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Briana

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much for your kind words! I'm the first to admit that this story kicked me in the backs.. read more
They would be given a new daughter, a new “Hally”. In a month, I would be long forgotten.

I liked the story up to this point. It was clever and well written. Then I read this line and the plot took on a whole new urgency. It went from likeable to grabbing me. I have no idea if you ever revisit the worlds you create but I for one would love to know the story of a "Hally".

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Briana

8 Years Ago

Thank you for reading and commenting! I'm a bit curious myself. I've been toying with the idea of ma.. read more
this is really good! i love the lyrical storytelling style - the way bits of context are revealed at a time, not all at once. I'd love to hear more about this world, everything that's hinted at in this piece :) well done!!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Briana

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much! I've been rubbing my chin over this and thinking I might give a wack at turning i.. read more
I really enjoyed this story and love your style of writing. You have a way of getting the reader's attention and holding it from beginning to end. Great job!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Briana

8 Years Ago

Thanks so much!!
I love stories that just put you in the middle of things, without an introduction. Each line slowly fills in the picture in your mind. It is more difficult to start this way, but i think you nailed it.

I have to admit i haven't read Fahrenheit 451, but a quick Google search gave me a good idea what it is about. I then understood the story much better. The part "... feels less than coincidence and more a sign" indirectly tells a bit of background information about the world, because (at least to me) it implies that the book is similar to the world the story takes place in. It then puts the previous lines in a new light. If books are forbidden, where is she, and why are those books there?

I really enjoyed this, and i am eager to read more of your stories.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Briana

8 Years Ago

It's always a pleasure to hear so many lovely things from you! I had a lot of trepidation about this.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

395 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 23, 2015
Last Updated on September 23, 2015
Tags: loss, book, books, girl, dystopia, danger, oppress, treasure, war, battle

Author

Briana
Briana

Denton, TX



About
I live to write, read, cook, and sing. In that order. I'm an aspiring author that can never get enough feedback on my work, be it positive or negative. The only thing I love just as much is reading an.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..