Illness

Illness

A Chapter by Nusquam Esse


                “You are sick”

                Athashea smiled weakly at the simple words, words she had heard so many times, words that felt more disconnected with each utterance.  She replied like broken clockwork, somehow moving beyond the stuck gears of her heart just to wind up where she had been all along, “I don’t feel sick…”

                The man coolly replied, not bothering to make eye contact, never looking away from his pad, “You are sick, and we are not going to make any progress as long as you cannot accept this.  Acceptance is the first step to…”  He paused and gestured for her to finish.

                Athashea gasped out the rest of the sentence with a sigh of frustration, “Integration.”  It was always the same with this man, this specialist, and yet she seemed the only one who noticed the lack of progress--the lack of connection.  If anything, these consultations seemed to grow more distant, as if her whole world was gradually becoming a dream.  Sometimes she wondered if the man’s whole objective was to cause her regression, to drive her away from the world, to remind her that the world had no place for this Athashea.

                Tapping his fingers to an unheard rhythm, the man seemed satisfied, despite Athashea’s lack of enthusiasm, “Yes, and Integration is key for a healthy mind.  So it only stands that by not accepting this, you are sick--terribly sick.”

                “But I don’t feel sick.”

                With rehearsed ease the man insisted, “But you are; why else would you be in quarantine if you were not sick?”  Pausing for a moment the man seemed to finally consider breaking the routine they had established; with a grimace he shook his head and still without meeting her gaze, he mumbled, “Why else would a professional like I risk contamination unless you were deathly ill?   It is the duty of doctor’s such as I to ensure wellbeing.”

                “My wellbeing?”

                The man did not answer, instead he drew back to his trademark speech, “While I am sure this would surprise you, since few know about it…  But our kind, we were once primitive beings with primitive concepts of illness.  Once our kind focused only on healing the body, the most irrelevant part of us.  To heal but a single part of the whole, to focus on something which would break eventually, something which didn’t even define us--it shows how primitive we once were.  To think that our kind looked at ourselves and saw their ‘flesh’ and thought it defined them, a truly sad existence do you not agree?”

                The man paused for a moment, his silence indicating that he expected her to give a response; this was almost over, she just needed to endure a little more.  “Yes,” she sighed, not even bothering to understand what his point was.

                “We have taken great strides to eliminate the cancerous ideals of self, the absurd hubris of the introvert; and after eons quashing that foolish nature, we can finally be great, to be more than just flesh and pride.  As we are now, we finally have a complete understanding of what defines us, what it means to exist.  No longer do we feel that confusion, that uncertainty of why we are.  An absolute understanding that we can only hold by throwing away that archaic, barbaric, thought.”  Pausing again the man gestured at Athashea, here came that same question, “Do you feel uncertain?”

                “Yes.”

                “Uncertain if you are ill?”  And with that, the man disconnected as he had each time, leaving Athashea in quarantine, where she wouldn’t be able to spread her introvert illness to others.  But never alone… to be alone was just cruel.  So instead, at times like this, she would simply be kept silent, passed on all sides by the wisps of other consciousnesses which somehow gave life meaning to her kind.  Silent, where she couldn’t express what it meant to be in quarantine.  To simply… exist.

                With a sigh, Athashea grudgingly admitted to the wisps around her, which could never hear her through the veil, “Perhaps a little…”  She didn’t feel sick, but at the same time, those moments of feeling disconnected, as if the world had nothing for her, they grew stronger each day.  Just because she suffered from, as the man put it, ‘a combination of existential crisis and asocial disorder’ did not mean she was willing to admit she was sick.  Somehow, even with this loneliness, she firmly believed that the man was wrong, that to feel disconnected was only normal.  That she was supposed to be able to explore her own mind; a concept which he’d chuckle at, casually dismissing it.  Even now she could hear his response, “What worth is there in a single mind?”  He had to be wrong, he had to…  Why else would he keep trying to cure her?

                The voices… those wisps… those wisps that would never stop babbling… a babbling that never ended… never made sense.  She couldn’t take it, just floating here with her own kind; she just wanted to be alone!  It didn’t matter if it was a sickness, an illness, a cancer… her mind made much more sense than the babbling that tunneled a hole within her mind.  She wanted to be alone, to be with something that made sense, to realize that she was more than just an illness.  She needed to be alone, no more interventions, no more medical examinations, no more quarantine… she just needed to be alone, of this she could be certain.  To be alone, to be able to scream, and to hear herself!

                Then… as if all those feelings of disconnection, a discordant haze, finally came crashing down with a resonating crescendo, she felt it… a scream.  The whole world crumbled around her, and she was suddenly alone.  Alone with the gasped shriek that warbled out from deep inside her, from a part of her she didn’t recognize--but which seemed far more real than ever before.  It hurt, it hurt to scream.  She reached for her heaving breast, connections forming where she had forgotten; and under her shaking hand she felt something she had never felt before.  A pounding beat, a beat which seemed to pulse in accord with her racing mind, with the turmoil inside her.  And then she realized… it was a heartbeat, her heartbeat.

                Athashea lay like that, in complete darkness, in the heavy air which seemed to hang on her every breath, no longer barraged with thoughts that wanted to consume her.  She had only the beating of her heart, and a resonating realization that this was what it meant to exist.  She could try and explain it, but it felt that the heart she had forgotten was much more apt at expressing it--the simplicity of existing, to be alone.  It was beautiful; it was right.

                As she opened her eyes, to a warmth around her, she felt fear--for the uncertainty around her.  Nothing was as it had seemed, and only now did she have the profound realization of just, how alone she really was.  Silence, it was so, powerful.  And yet, despite the uncertainty, the illness, she felt something more than just how apart she had become.  Even if she was alone, she had her heartbeat, she had this warmth, and she understood…  As she weakly pulled out the wires connected to her body, and slowly stepped away from the pod, she realized that she had never felt at one with something, until now--not integration, but harmony.

                Leaving that world of illness behind her, Athashea made her way out to explore what it meant to be one with a body

          to be one for more than a mind

                    to find who Athashea was.




 

               




© 2018 Nusquam Esse


Author's Note

Nusquam Esse
Finally back from a break from the site... got a few stories to upload, but here is the first one. Hopefully it is worth my absence.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I felt a connection to this story, the introvert who is expected to conform and fit into the social aspects of society being seen as someone who is ill. Like those who do not want to put on the mask in the world today and pretend all is ok... Everything is alright, when nothing is right. Trying to step beyond what is conventionally correct and follow your own heart... Love the idea of this piece and the way it was written out. Another brilliant one, J... Just awesomeness.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Nusquam Esse

9 Years Ago

Yep, I think the meaning of this one was quite clear; and it is something I have struggled with as w.. read more



Reviews

I felt a connection to this story, the introvert who is expected to conform and fit into the social aspects of society being seen as someone who is ill. Like those who do not want to put on the mask in the world today and pretend all is ok... Everything is alright, when nothing is right. Trying to step beyond what is conventionally correct and follow your own heart... Love the idea of this piece and the way it was written out. Another brilliant one, J... Just awesomeness.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Nusquam Esse

9 Years Ago

Yep, I think the meaning of this one was quite clear; and it is something I have struggled with as w.. read more
I dislike this story at first, but after re-reading it a second time, I got into the story fairly easily. The doctor in the story quickly irritated me. I guess his lack of emotion and understanding towards Athashea made me dislike him immediately. The story flow very well, and I kind of want to know what her illness was and why was the doctor trying so hard to cure her.

Posted 9 Years Ago


This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Vawn

9 Years Ago

Ya I notice that most people like poetry, and I will definitely try some of these things out, and it.. read more
Nusquam Esse

9 Years Ago

yeah, just don't loose heart, and write for yourself. That is really all it is... Listen to critici.. read more
This absolutely is worthwhile reading. It's good that you're back. This story masterfully creates a picture of a soul integrated, only a small part of a huge entity, with no privacy and little independent thought, disconnected from any body. I found that somewhat disturbing, but then this strong soul asserts itself and its uniqueness, and I think the result gets at the essence of what it means to be human. Outstanding writing as usual!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Nusquam Esse

9 Years Ago

Thanks for the warm welcome back Jennie! It is good to be back, been feeling a bit more productive .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

216 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 14, 2014
Last Updated on May 23, 2018


Author

Nusquam Esse
Nusquam Esse

Ogden, UT



About
****I have disabled RRs, since I just don't have the time and energy to continue returning every review. I have enough on my plate without nagging feelings of obligation; so please, do NOT review me .. more..

Writing