Ethereal Tides

Ethereal Tides

A Story by ObscurityNone
"

Story of a young Mer

"

A darkened yellow glimmer pierced the abyss. Sparkled elegantly upon the ancient constructs, bringing light to what was once a blue-black. This was a time that every creature that dwelled in such a place, recognized as a time to wake. And so they did, be them young, be them small, be them old, be them large, every sea dweller, except Silaen.  He enjoyed spending long hours in his bed, pondering, while waiting for the right moment to finally snatch himself up from his trance.

This morning, however, would not be such a one. There was business at hand, and high stakes for that matter. Today would decide this gentle, calm, although adventurous little creature’s life. He turned seventeen today, a day where a decision had to be made, a life altering one, indeed. “Silaen!” one scaly round parent called out. “I am up.. I am up!” Silaen replied. Trying to pick himself up off the floor he would fall upon during his deep endless dreaming nights.  He arose and started flapping his way into the golden sparkled kitchen. “I need to feeeeed”. He spouted at his mother, nipping at his empty plate noisily. “Patience my dear, it is a virtue” said Mom. She placed a series of sliced crab, lobster, and some kelp on his plate, which was gone in seconds flat. “Eat the rest of that kelp, Silaen! There is hardly any left.” Mom exclaimed. “Exactly.. Mom.. But fine.” Silaen grabbed the few remaining bites, chewed quickly, and then swallowed. He grabbed his satchel, swinging it smoothly around his lean torso, and upon his shoulder, he then swam away.

  He made his way, as quickly as his young legs could swim, to Destiny Temple. As he approached the end of his little venture, his breath was taken as he marveled at the large shimmering white pillars, and the empty imposing hallway. He made his way down the intricately designed structure, towards the back end, where everyone else was at. “Silaen!” Commander Naerith shouted. “You are late, and on such an important day, swim over behind the others so we can speak later.” Silaen tilted his head down in a little mix of shame and cowardice, and then did as he was told. The Commander spoke, words of warning, inspiration, and a few threats even came out, although unintentional.

 Commander Naerith just had a way with words, and the way he moved, swam, talked and composure. He was a born military man; it was in his heart, soul, body and mind, and family for generations. He sent the others swimming down a long grueling course, which hosted a series of tests for ones aptitude in various fields. Silaen looked at the Commander as he was approaching and then quickly back down at the temple floor. “So, it seems you are the same old Silaen, eh?” Commander stared him down, being more intimidating than he ever really tried to be. “Commander Sir, I am sorry I am late. May I continue with the rest of my school?” The Commander tilted Silaen’s head up by the chin, and spoke. “Look into my eyes, Mer, you are of age now to stand on your own two feet, you need none but yourself, understand?” Silaen now looking into the Commanders eyes, “Yes sir, I do.” He let Silaen go, and off he went, swimming in the distance towards the rest of his school. A decision to be made that would forever shape his future and the Sea Dweller he would become. Silaen didn’t know it, but that decision just might be put on hold, for maybe years to come, and that in its self will forever be the determining factor, sometime, some day.

© 2012 ObscurityNone


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Nice flow and details. I would suggest instead of just saying the commander was being intimating...show how he's being intimating. For instance, is he scowling at him, did he make a threatening comment. That's just an example. This story seems interesting, I'd like to see it continue and read more of it. Thanks for sharing!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ObscurityNone

11 Years Ago

Thank you, I planned on adding to it. Possibly soon.



Reviews

Nice flow and details. I would suggest instead of just saying the commander was being intimating...show how he's being intimating. For instance, is he scowling at him, did he make a threatening comment. That's just an example. This story seems interesting, I'd like to see it continue and read more of it. Thanks for sharing!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ObscurityNone

11 Years Ago

Thank you, I planned on adding to it. Possibly soon.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

206 Views
1 Review
Added on October 14, 2012
Last Updated on October 14, 2012
Tags: Merman, Underwater, Sea, Ocean, Water, Short Story, Tide, Mermaid

Author

ObscurityNone
ObscurityNone

San Jose, CA



About
I Cannot Live Without: 1. Physical well being/appearance 2. Ambiance 3. Meaning 4. Incalculables 5. Possibility TURN, TURN, TURN by Steve Conte on Grooveshark more..

Writing
So So

A Poem by ObscurityNone


Mynon Mynon

A Poem by ObscurityNone