The Plague

The Plague

A Story by After Midnight
"

A short tale of vengeance.

"

I wander through the dark alley humming softly to ease my growing anticipation. The soft thud of my feet hitting the saturated pavement provide the beat for the cold music of a Seattle night. The cool wind surges softly through the alley. I find my peace, the calm before the storm. A small crash erupts behind me. A smile curves slowly on to my face and I turn to see the silhouette of a man framed against the yellow mist.

Ring around the rosie...

I turn back around and continue my slow and steady walk, the music gone and the peace shattered. My heart is in my throat and I find it hard to breathe. Adrenaline pumps through my veins and it gives me strength. My body tenses and then relaxes as the sound of his lurching foot beats speed up to catch up with me.

Pockets full of posies...

Panic surges through me and threatens to overcome my will. I want to run, my eyes dart over the places to hide, calculating the distance between me and the busy street. I clench my teeth and ball my hands into fists. I force my feet to slow down. I want this, I tell myself. It is the only way it will ever stop. No one will listen and nothing is done. I am all that is left. I can feel his hot breath on my neck. I hide the shudder as his arm snakes around my waist pulling me inwards towards his rank body. His whispers are drowned out by the pounding of my heart. He is turning me to face him.

Ashes, ashes...

Tears threaten to spill as anger and excitement pulse through me and I remember why I came. His dark eyes hover over my face, eating up what I have on show. Closer, just a little closer and I can see the silver flash before it sinks in so sweetly. He shudders and tries to pull away but I wrap my arm tightly around his neck and hum in his ear to soothe his trembling. I wrench it upwards and he whimpers into my neck. I pull out the small knife now crimson and feel a sick rush as I see his blood pour from him to mingle with the dirty rain water. I kneel besides him as his eyes glaze over and his mouthe gapes like a fish deprived of water. I whisper in his ear the same words he whispered to me not so long ago when he thought me weak and defenseless.

We all fall down...
 

© 2008 After Midnight


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Everything you write i f*****g love you are really talented and should be very proud.

I loved the "ring aroung the rosie" thing you had going thruogh the story it was great.

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

119 Views
1 Review
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 7, 2008
Last Updated on February 8, 2008

Author

After Midnight
After Midnight

South of the Moon and North of the Sun, NM



About
Some time ago, I learned that I had the gift to bring my imagination to life through paper and ink. It filled me with Life when I had nothing else to give and it gave me Hope, the last of all plagues .. more..

Writing