The Letter

The Letter

A Story by Odayin
"

A boy writes a letter about how he wants his own long term friendship with another girl to become more than that. To become more than just friends.

"

      Nothing's changed.  It's all still the same.

      It's always been like this.  The feelings have always controlled him.  She has always indirectly controlled him.  No one knew how he felt, how bad it could get, until they read his letter to her.

      Dear Emily,

      If you ever became more than just a friend to me than I would treat you like a prized possession.  Every night you would be on my mind as sleep overtakes my body and my dreams shine you through my eyes as the greatest thing that this planet has ever had the pleasure of hosting.  I would always have an excuse to tell you how beautiful you look and how if you were compared to all the natural beauties in the world you would surpass the sum of them.  Listen, my heart beats to your life and every time I hear your name my stomach flips with excitement as memories of your smiling face flood into every corner of my mind.  Everywhere I look I see things that remind me of the amazing moments that we have shared together.  Every word I hear makes me think of you and everything good that you have in you.  Every mistake you have ever made is washed away by the potential purity that you have inside your soul that lifts the bad moods and sour thoughts off of those around you.  Every thought of you getting hurt or making a mistake makes me cringe.  Seeing you sad or unhappy makes my whole world stop turning as my top priority suddenly becomes making that perfect smile shine through those clouds of sadness.  Every tear I see sliding down your face violently wrenches the same from my own eyes as i slowly ease down to your level and try to bring us back up...together.  My dream is to be able to pull you close and feel your heart slowly beating with mine as that well-known smile slowly crawls back onto your features and lifts any evil thought i could ever possess away.  You're a Godsend that has come here to bestow the true meaning of life onto my friends and I as we watch the days and sleep the nights.

       Your best friend,

                    Jarred.

      The letter was found on a pile of rocks. It had been dropped from the monumental arms that held it as the emotions of the reader overcame the strength she had possessed.  The reader of course, was Emily.

      After writing the letter and leaving it where Emily would be able to find it, Jarred had moved away.  He had said goodbye to Emily, but it wasn't like he had wanted it to be. It was a friendship goodbye, but he had wanted a goodbye that was full of love.  But either way, it wouldn't have stopped him from moving across the country.  The reason he wrote the letter was because he had to tell Emily his true feelings and how he had always wanted to become more than friends.  It didn't matter whether or not she felt the same way anymore, he had to tell her before it was too late.  Unfortunately, he believed it might already be.

      The precious flaw in his plan was that Emily knew where he was moving, and she wasn't about to let that letter go unanswered...no matter how far the distance ranged.  She saw him a short month later as she ran across the field to his new house, and where she could see him sitting on his porch.

      Jarred had seen the car pull up, he knew it would be Emily.  He had spent every night dreaming she would come.  He spent years with her, of course he knew she would come.  As she came running through the field he slowly stood up and walked down the steps of the porch.

      "I was hoping I'd see you again soon!" he called as she slowed her pace and approached him.

      "You weren't hoping!" she exclaimed excitedly.  She knew her words would be taken wrongly and that Jarred would rush to exclaim that he had.  She decided to finish her statement and cut off his next words.  "You knew I would come," she said grinning.

      Since her statment was completely true, he just simply smiled and shrugged in return.  He slowly walked forward and outstretched his arms to wrap them around the girl that he missed, cared for, and loved so much.  He could feel her heart beating against his chest and he knew she could feel his against her own.  It was a thoughtless embrace.  Not like there was any time for thinking because it seemed that just as Emily's hair had crowded Jarred's face, it was leaving again.  Such a short connection for such a long time without seeing each other, or at least it seemed short.  Unbeknownst to them, they had been hugging for nearly a minute.  The only reason for them releasing each other was due to loss of blood in the arms.  The embrace never fully died however, because upon the release, they found their foreheads pressed against one another's and their lips oh so close.  They kissed each other.  It was the kiss they had both lived, waited, and hoped night after night for.  Their first kiss, for each of them.  The one that somehow held all the memories, feelings, and love locked inside its own inner chamber.  Eyes closed, the feelings sent waves of heat through their bodies.  The touch was so gentle but yet, so solid that it seemed as if a frieght train couldn't seperate the two lovers.  An eternity later, it ended; and the kiss filled and overfilled all expectations as they could feel their eyes clouding with a salty substance that rarely arose.

      Even after it was all over, their hands still remained clasped together in a vice grip.  They still stood close to each other as they spoke.  "This is going to change everything," Emily said slightly satisfactory, "For the better."

      "You're still going to be so far away," Jarred said sadly, "Too far..."

      Emily stopped any remaining words with another kiss.  Although it was short, she could feel the tears sliding down her cheeks once again. The trails they left just somehow made the moment feel that much better, that much more right.  "Jarred, in your letter it says that you've always wanted to be more than friends," she took out the folded letter and waved it around smiling for proof.

      Jarred couldn't help but smile back.  He had already missed this girl so much in the month they had been away from each other.  It's going to be a rough few years, he thought grimly.  "Yes, and I always have wanted that Emily.  The option is still open...do you want to be girlfriend?" His voice turned hopeful and his gaze rised as he had said the last few words.  Emily looked into his eyes, so deep, so familiar, so many memories just buried deep inside like an ocean of secrets.  Now he had just asked her to become more than friends, she had had her answer ready for as long as she could remember and hastily, but ever so gently, let the words slip off her toungue.

      "Jarred, I've always wanted to be your girlfriend."

© 2012 Odayin


Author's Note

Odayin
Not based off anything, completely fictional characters and storyline. I focused mainly on the letter itself so sorry for the short storyline and if the ending seems slightly rushed. I recently edited this to try to fix it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

That was beautiful. My heart is literally accelerating. I loved the letter format, the honest feelings, the happy ending, everything is so perfectly romantic and sweet. The flow of feelings were overwhelmingly awesome, I actually felt a smile on my face as I read this. The ending was witty, how they both express their love (like I was hoping), and well, this is just beautiful. A short, but sweet tale, and certainly close to reality, as many guy-girl friendships slowly turn into long-term relationships. It was great to read.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Oh my...I could only wish for a letter like that one. I must say that I'm glad I browsed through your pieces...this is such a special work. I have been wrestling with what may or may not be ..within the next year or so...this just warmed my heart. And I'm sorry but that letter, if it were in my hands, would be drenched by the time I was done reading it. (actually my eyes were misty reading the screen) Thank you for the uplifting turn to my evening...it's got that innocent feel to it...just a boy literally leaving his heart behind...setting his beating breath within every word...just resting silent till Emily was drawn to it...cradled in her hands...she read...hoped...dreamed...and I can hear her thinking, "Gotcha...and never gonna let you go," with that sheen in her smile. :)
Goodness...I'm just...well..blurry eyed again. I love romances..(girl thing *impish grin*)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Awwww....how beautiful and sweet. Such a happy ending. I loved it.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


That was beautiful. My heart is literally accelerating. I loved the letter format, the honest feelings, the happy ending, everything is so perfectly romantic and sweet. The flow of feelings were overwhelmingly awesome, I actually felt a smile on my face as I read this. The ending was witty, how they both express their love (like I was hoping), and well, this is just beautiful. A short, but sweet tale, and certainly close to reality, as many guy-girl friendships slowly turn into long-term relationships. It was great to read.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

450 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 6, 2012
Last Updated on June 18, 2012
Tags: Letter, friendship, friends, love, moving, admit, always

Author

Odayin
Odayin

MA



About
I'm just one of many trying to find a little more about life by observing everything in it; from the people, to nature, to every separate personality, my mind and thoughts have smoothed by the blessin.. more..

Writing
Cold Cold

A Poem by Odayin