Never Too Old

Never Too Old

A Story by Miyako Okawa
"

In Never Too Old, a grandfather and his granddaughter have a little chat of pleasure and refreshment of warm baked rice cookies.

"
NEVER TOO OLD
By Miyako Okawa

When my grandfather moved to Japan, he wore a thick, black coat with a shirt tucked into his long pants he had worn to work. Even though it was our hometown, I had to stay in America because of the mass shooting incident. At that very moment, I thought, ''I wished there was something I could do to help. Father and mother tell me I'm irresponsible, hmph.''

Everyone was in a hurry and it was so crowded. I couldn't breathe and my chest ached a second. I turned my head and felt a little tap on my hand. ''Shh, let's go.'' It was too loud. All I could hear was a dim voice. Though I could not pick up the sound, I knew it would be trusting.

''Ojiisan! What are you doing here?'' ''Weren't you supposed to be at Japan? Why is this place full of strangers?''

''Hold off the questions, Miya, my dear. We will have a nice little chat tonight to always remember home.''

''Wakarimashita, I understand.'' Grandfather (ojiisan) 's rice cookies are delicious as always!


Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 3/4 cup confectioners sugar
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 2 cups fine rice flour
  • 1/4 cup rose water
  • 1-2 tablespoons poppy seeds

Instructions

  1. In a large bowl, mix together the oil and sugar with a hand mixer on medium speed for 1-2 minutes.
  2. Add egg yolk and mix for another 20-30 seconds.
  3. Sift in the rice flour, in three batches. Using a spatula, fold in the flour into mixture after each batch is added.
  4. Add the rose water.
  5. Knead the mixture for 5-10 minutes. Shape into a ball and wrap tightly with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator overnight.
  6. Preheat oven to 325 F and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
  7. Roll dough into small 1-inch balls and flatten the cookie into a small disc. Repair any cracks on the edges and place on baking sheet.
  8. Using the curve of a small teaspoon make overlapping arch-shaped indentation marks on the top. Sprinkle with poppy seeds.
  9. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the bottom and edges begins to turn a light golden colour.
  10. Let completely cool before carefully removing from baking tray.
''Ah! So tasty, as always, ojiisan no cookie is irresistible!''

And now, I wait for the day that I will be old, never too old, and tell the story and make the pleasure of baking rice cookies.



 

© 2017 Miyako Okawa


Author's Note

Miyako Okawa
Miyako Okawa was born in Fukuoka Prefecture on November 16, 2001. Her and her parents moved to America when she was five. She only went to Japanese kindergarten and attended English schools, so she has a hard time speaking both Japanese and fluent English. Her favorite food is rice cookies, and senbei.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

79 Views
Added on October 5, 2017
Last Updated on October 5, 2017
Tags: rice, cookie, old, chat, grandfather, granddaughter, japan

Author