Why is Music our Refuge?

Why is Music our Refuge?

A Story by Olivia Rose
"

This is my second piece of writing. Again, they didn't have the article option for type, but this is discussing why people seek music for support.

"

Why is MUSIC

 Our Refuge?

 

Sad, angry, alone. These are not unfamiliar feelings to anyone.

And I know that I am not on my own in turning to music when I feel distressed.

A good song has a way of making us feel safe. We are suddenly enveloped in a bubble, separated from the clutches of the outside world.

It’s just you and the music…

 

But why is this? Is it the fact that for a glorious few minutes we are deaf to the world and its problems?

Is it because if we close our eyes, we are alone and at peace, with the melody?

If I am listening to a vocal piece I find my mind drifting into the lyrics; wondering what they could mean.

 

We all feel a particularly strong connection to whatever music we are listening to when we feel downhearted and like the world doesn’t understand us.

It’s always in cases like these that we truly begin to understand the real meaning of a song.

 

Obviously it’s never good to feel lonely or angry, but I find that after pummelling my eardrums with some good music, I feel a lot better, and that I somehow have developed a stronger connection with the piece I sought refuge from.

 

You will hear the odd story about how music may have saved someone in one way or the other, and I really believe that it can.

Whether it’s by rocking out on the drums or the guitar, or by playing your CDs obnoxiously loud, whatever works for you is brilliant.

You can take out your anger without hurting anything or anyone, which is always good.

 

So next time you feel unwanted, dejected or irritated, instead of doing something rash, like punching a wall, or worse, a person, grab yourself some headphones, and just get lost in the melody.

 

Olivia Rose

 

© 2013 Olivia Rose


Author's Note

Olivia Rose
Your feedback is much appreciated! I could really use your help on improving my writing so please share your opinions!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

141 Views
Added on January 7, 2013
Last Updated on January 7, 2013
Tags: refuge, music, support

Author

Olivia Rose
Olivia Rose

London, United Kingdom



About
I'm 14, and really interested in music journalism, particularly rock music. I jus really want to share my writing with the world and gain some feedback! more..

Writing