Ten Years

Ten Years

A Story by Omegax45
"

Ten years ago she graduated high school. Ten years ago, she and her sister were subjected to bullying. In the present, everything comes to a head at the reunion.

"

Ten Years

by omegax45

 

 

                        Ten years.  Had it been that long?  It still felt like to Sarah just yesterday she was entering Silver Stream High School as an overweight teenager with low self-esteem and dreams of being a famous author.  She would go to her locker for her books, be made fun of by the skinny girls and laughed at by the jocks, and worried about passing the latest exam.  She would go home afterwards with tears in her eyes when the scale in the bathroom told her she gain another pound despite trying to starve herself all day and the piercing words of the skinny girls eating at her core.  She would then get a phone call from her childhood friend and secret crush Peter telling her to not listen to those girls and she was just as pretty as they are, only more so since her heart was so kind.  Sarah would thank his kinds words, then ask him how he and Deborah were doing.  He would tell her about their latest date and how much in love he was in with Deborah.  They would converse for awhile before getting off the phone to do homework before eating dinner and going to bed.  Sarah was grateful that Peter found such a wonderful girlfriend, but a part of her would always wish that it had been her. 

                        Well, no use in worrying about the past.  Yet, the nostalgia feeling wouldn't go away as she walked through the hallways and more memories popped into her mind.  They were a mix of happiness, anger, and sadness.  The latter won out the most, and she almost wanted to just go back to her car and forget about the reunion.  Almost. 

                        “This place had seen better days, huh?”

                        Sarah turned to look at Zoey, her fraternal twin sister.  Both of them had it bad during their years in high school.  Both overweight, few friends, and barely a twenty a week in their pockets.  They had good times together, suffered against the bullying together, and graduated with identical sighs of relief.  Sarah still felt bad for the one time they were invited to a party y the popular girls and Sarah caught the mumps that kept her locked at home for two weeks.  The invite was a trap and Zoey ended up covered in food condiments and forced to eat disgusting food items while the girls took pictures and posted them on the Internet.  The school officials took the pictures off the school’s social network and suspended the girls for a week, but that did not stop them from posting the pictures on other social networks, nor stopped them from bullying them.  Their parents did everything they could to help their daughters, but the popular girls belonged to rich families and had grades high enough to keep the school’s federal funding.  The bullying stopped for Sarah once they reached senior year, when everyone was too busy trying to get into college, but Zoey would still be haunted by those pictures still circling around the Internet.

                        In fact, it was that very incident that made both girls vow to better themselves.  Sarah took to the gym when not working and began watching her calorie intake.  She also began writing short stories and placing them on writing networks before publishing her first book using an online self-publishing website when sending her submissions to publishers and literary agents failed.  Her book only sold a few copies, but she wasn’t worried.  She just needed to write some more and one of them should take off.  In the meantime, she kept writing her short stories while brainstorming novels and working at a custom homes company.  She had lost quite a bit of weight, but there were still some areas of her body she was trying to tightened. It wasn't what she dreamed her adult life was going to be, but she was still young.  So much can still happen.

                        Zoey, on the other hand, changed a lot.  She went on a crash diet while exercising constantly.  At times, she was rushed to the hospital due to not eating for days.  The whole family became worried, but Zoey refused to give up.  She agreed to go to a nutritionist and soon, she lost so much weight that she was scouted out by a modeling agency.  Soon, she was featured on several magazines and been on walkway tours around the world.  She had amassed herself a fortune and bought herself a large home while teaching upcoming models what they need to do for their careers.  Their parents were so proud of her, and Zoey even tried to get Sarah to join her diet program.  Sarah politely declined, as her work schedule wouldn’t allow it.

                        “Could be from so many lawsuits that killed their budget,” Sarah agreed, “Not surprising, considering that they never wanted to take care of the bullying problems the right way.  The Solomon Case was a good example of that.”

                        “I’m amazed that the family won, considering what our parents went through for us.”

                        “We were up against the rich class at the time.  There would’ve been no way for Mom and Dad to pay a good lawyer to defend our case.  The Solomons, on the other hand,  are the richest family in town.”

                        “And the Carnigans had no chance in hell against them,” Zoey chuckled, “I wonder how everyone’s been since graduation.  Boy, will they be surprise by us.”

                        “We’ll see,” Sarah smiled and they entered the cafeteria, loud music vibrating off the walls. 

                        The cafeteria was full of adults that were from their class so long ago, all of them either talking, dancing, or eating.  They recognized a few faces, but many others looked so different.  Soon, Zoey separated from Sarah to talk to some of her former classmates, leaving her sister alone to find a table to sit at.

                        “Hey, Sarah!  Over here!”

                        “Turner,” Sarah turned to see her old friend waving her over to a table,   “Is that you?  Wow, you filled out over the years!  When you said you were gonna put on muscle, I can’t believe you put on THAT much!”

                        “Heh heh,” Turner blushed while helping her to a seat, “And I can’t believe how much weight you and Zoey lost.  Yeah, I signed up for this fat camp that’s kinda like army boot camp during the summers I wasn’t in college.  Hardcore stuff, I tell ya.  I even competed in weightlifting competitions.  Won a few trophies here and there, but nothing too big.”

                        “Wow, that’s amazing!  I bet you can bench press five hundred at least!”

                        “Nah.  Just three seventy-five, but gettin’ there.  Say, I run a gym on Alenbecker as trainer if interested.  Could put some meat on those twigs you call arms.”

                        “Thanks,” Sarah laughed along with their friends, “but I kinda need my arms to fit in my suits.  Can’t afford a new set right now.”

                        “You still working on your author career,” a young woman asked, rubbing her swollen stomach.

                        “Just published the third novel in a series,” Sarah answered, “They’re not selling much, but I’m not giving up yet.  I still have my job to keep a roof over my head.  How’ve you been Tia?”

                        “Good, good.  These little guys keep kicking me, and I’m gonna bribe the doctor to do the C-section early.  Can barely sleep at night.  I’m so grateful that Timmy talked me into being a stay-at-home mom until the twins are in preschool.  I mean, he makes more than enough for us, but I am concerned about the bills after Joey and Matt get here.  By the way, love your baby shower present.”

                        “I’m so glad to hear that,” Sarah smiled, “I had a hard time trying to find it.  Thank God for the Internet.”

                        “Hear, hear.”

                        “I heard that Zoey is super rich now,” another young woman pointed out, “Doesn’t it make you made, Sarah?”

                        “Not really Carla,” Sarah sighed, putting down her drink, “She wanted to go all-out a after what Cindy and the other girls did to her.  I don’t blame her, really.  I’m happy with my life and doing things at my own pace.  Besides, I don’t think I can ever give up chocolate even if my life depended on it.”

                        “Me either,” Carla grinned, “Speaking of which, have you heard?”

                        “No, what?”

                        “Cindy and her gang.  About five years ago, they were attacked by the Anti-Bully Organization for what they did to Zoey and other students.”

                        “I heard there was an attack, but couldn’t find out which college.  The Anti-Bully Organization… They’re the extremists that are trying to get rid of bullying for good by assaulting bullies, right?”

                        “Exactly,” they turn to see a young couple sitting down at their table, the young man continuing, “They have quite the following, but had divided in two when the founder wanted to use nonviolent methods.  The extremists were the ones doing the attacks, and have even murder a few people.”

                        Sarah couldn’t say anything as everyone continued with their conversation.  There he was.  Peter.  Her childhood friend and secret crush.  He was a man now, baby fat gone and looking more handsome than he did back in high school.  His hair ha filled out a bit more, perhaps due to not getting it cut so close to his scalp, and his muscles were taut under his suit.  Deborah beside him was gorgeous.  Her figure filled out nicely and her curly hair shone brightly in the spotlights.  They looked like the perfect couple.  She thought she would feel jealously again for Deborah’s good fortune or love for Peter, but the feeling wasn’t there.  Not anymore.  She wanted to sigh with relief, but didn’t want to draw attention to herself.

                        “It was with good fortune that the ones that attacked Cindy and her gang didn’t kill them,” Tia said, drawing Sarah back into the discussion, “However, the after effects were pretty gruesome.”

                        “They were horribly disfigured,” Deborah added, taking a drink of water, “I was attending the hospital they were at and helped with the surgery.  None of them could continue their careers as cheerleaders again after that mess.  I actually felt sorry for them.”

                        “How about you Sarah,” Carla asked, everyone turning to said young woman, “Those girl did bully both you and Zoey in high school.  I bet you both are really happy about that.”

                        “Not me,” Sarah looked down at her lap, “ Of course I wanted retribution, especially after what they did to Zoey, but I can’t keep living with a grudge forever.  Besides, I could never ask such a fate to even my worst enemy.  Violence.  Just keeps breeding until there’s nothing left, after all.”

                        “That’s so like you Sarah,” Peter smiled, “You have such a good heart.  I’m surprised that you aren't married yet.  You’ll make someone a lucky man… Or woman, whichever.”

                        “Well…”

                        “Hey Sarah!”

                        Everyone turned to see Zoey coming up to them, a big smile on her face.  Not many would think of it suspicious, but Sarah knew her sister’s smiles.  And this one meant trouble.

                        “What is it, Zoey?”

                        “”Guess who’s here,” Zoey asked, her smile never leaving her face, “It’s Cindy!”

                        “You serious?  I thought she wouldn’t show up because of what happened to her.”

                        “Well, she did.  And she wants to talk to you.”

                        “I don’t like it,” Turner whispered to Sarah’s ear, “Cindy dropped off the face of the planet after the incident.  Why would she suddenly come out in the open?”

                        “Wait a minute,” Deborah spoke up, looking a bit nervous, “I thought Cindy never liked you guys.  When did you and her become friends?”

                        “News to me,” Sarah replied, “We were never friends, and neither were you Zoey.  In fact, I thought you hated her.”

                        “Oh I still do,” Zoey’s smile was starting to make everyone nervous, “I still hate her for what she did to me.  Those stupid pictures she put on the Internet continue to haunt me each day.  Every day.  I even used those pictures to show people what I used to look like and how I was treated before I lost the weight.  Despite the pity and sympathy I got from so many people, there are still a******s out there that still make fun of me, still ask why I let them do that to me.  It has even affected my dating career, and I can’t keep a boyfriend for a few months.  Believe me, I wish all the hate in the world on her and her friends!

                        “But… that doesn’t matter anymore now.  We were all just dumb teenagers back then, nothing special.  So much on our plates and having out-of-control hormones don’t make such a good combination.”

                        “Zoey…” Sarah drawled, having a very bad feeling about her sister’s behavior.

                        “Come along now Sarah,” Zoey grabbed her sister’s hand, “Cindy is near the back and doesn’t want to be seen. We’ll make this quick, and then she will be out of our lives forever.”

                        “I’m sorry,” Sarah pulled her hand back gently, “but I don’t want to see Cindy.  Can you tell her I’m sorry for me?”

                        “Sarah,” Zoey sighed, a pregnant pause in the air before she lifted her head again to them, “I was hoping it wouldn’t come to this.”

                        “What,” was all anyone could say before obey pressed a button on her watch.  The doors burst opened and at least twenty or so armed individuals came rushing in, aiming their guns at everyone.  The partying young adults screamed and tried to run for the emergency doors in the back, but they burst open to reveal more armed individuals. Sarah and her friends stood up in shock, but were stopped by the gun pointing at them from Zoey’s hand.  Soon, everyone but Sarah, Zoey, and the armed individuals were kneeling on the floor with their hands behind their heads.  Zoey motioned with her free hand and a young woman with a disfigured face appeared out of the crowds, someone that Sarah recognized immediately.

                        “Cindy,” she nearly said the name in a snarl, then turned to Zoey, “What the hell is the meaning of this, Zoey?  Are you really a member of the Anti-Bullying Organization?”

                        “Of course,” Zoey answered proudly, “In fact, I run this small branch that broke off awhile back since our so-called leader was such a pansy.  Encourage the bullied with words, educating parents about bullying, using public media to spread the word.  It doesn’t work.  Bullying is still going on, and it’s getting worse.  What Cindy and her friends did to me years ago was a cakewalk compared to what’s been going on today.  Sports stars raping girls and getting away with it just because they’re bring in the money for the schools, and not owning up if they get the girls pregnant or infected with and STD.  Girls taking obscene pictures of their victims and threatening to harm their friends if they don’t cooperate, then posting the pictures on the Internet.  There are even teachers throwing away students’ lunches and making them starved just because the lunch doesn’t follow the schools’ restrictions that nobody knows about.  There are employees bullying other employees in the form of ‘giving helpful feedback’ or the manager likes to wail on an employee that won’t fight back as their whipping boy.  And who do the authorities blame for the bullying?  The victims themselves!  They want the victims to solve the reason why they’re being bullied, so they won’t have to lift a finger to do so.  And when the victim does, they’re the ones punished!  All of us here have had enough, and if the legal system won’t take action and punish these bullies, then we will.”

                        “You’re out of your mind Zoey,” Sarah stated, “This is not justice.  It’s murder.  All you and your allies are doing is making yourselves worse than the bullies.  This will not solve anything at all, only make things worse.”

                        “I knew you would say that,” Zoey walked around in a circle while tapping her gun on her chin, “You were always so soft.  As soft as your midsection.  Wanting to live the big life like me, but won’t work hard enough for it.  You talk about being over the past, but are you really?  Especially with what Cindy has to say.”

                        “Whatever she has to say to me can wait.  You and I aren’t done yet.”

                        “Oh, but I assure you.  This is some good info.  In fact, it has to do with that incident we keep talking about all night long.”

                        “What are you talking about?”

                        “Go ahead, Cindy.”

                        Cindy looked up at Sarah, so meek and timid.  Not like the Cindy she knew so long ago, prideful and haughty.  Then again, the Cindy from their youth didn’t had three wicked scars going alongside her face from cheek-to-cheek.  The close proximity of the scars would make plastic surgery impossible.  Sarah couldn’t help but feel sorry for her.

                        “The party I invited you and Zoey ten years ago,” Cindy began, continuing when she got a pat from Zoey’s gun, “It...it was meant for you.  We were… We were supposed to humiliate you.”

                        “Well you have the mumps to thank for ruining your fun,” Sarah snorted, placing her hands on her hips, “Except that didn’t stop you from attacking my sister and putting us in this mess right now.”

                        “We were paid to do it.”

                        That was new, and it caught Sarah’s attention like a fish to a wriggling worm on a hook.

                        “Don’t listen to her Sarah,” Deborah yelled suddenly, making everyone look at her, “Whatever she says is nothing but a lie!”

                        “What the hell do you mean by that,” Sarah demanded before the pieces fell into place, “It was you.  You paid Cindy and her gang to attack Zoey and I.”

                        “No way,” Turner whispered.

                        “That’s not true,” Peter exclaimed, “Deborah loves Sarah and Zoey.  She would never do something like that!  Right, Deborah?!  Deborah?”

                        Deborah didn’t say anything, lowering her head in shame.  Peter tried again, but his disbelief was disappearing with each second of her silence.

                        “She wanted you out of the way with Peter,” Cindy continued, “Something about you two being too close for comfort.  I didn’t understand why she was so jealous.  Deborah was way hotter than you back then.”

                        “Gee thanks,” Sarah turned back to Cindy, “make things worse, why don’t you?”

                        “You sister and her terrorist group cost me my life’s career,” Cindy pointed out with mod between a smirk and a snarl.

                        “Reap what you sow,” Sarah replied, “Should’ve known that karma would come to get you in the end.”

                        “Don’t waste anymore time on this peon,” Zoey interrupted, pointing her gun at Deborah, “She’s the one we really want right now.  Wanna ask her why she put a hit on you, or should I?”

                        “No need,” her sister answered, making everyone look at her, “I can connect the dots.  Peter and I were really close back then, and still are today.  But Peter would never see me as anything more than a close friend, sibling if you wanna add.  Deborah became jealous of that bond we had, afraid that I would take Peter away from her one day.  Like me, Deborah knows that looks didn’t matter to Peter, but what was in one’s heart.  So she put the hit on me with Cindy and her gang, but only on me.  Cindy and her gang got greedy and decided to hit both Zoey and I with their farce party.  I got the mumps and couldn’t go.  Instead of calling off the hit until I got better, they decided to attack Zoey alone and take Deborah’s money.  They felt that Zoey’s pain would be more than enough to serve as a warning.”

                        Sarah stopped there, letting everything sink in.  Their former classmates were staring at Deborah with a mix of anger, disappointment, and pity.  Deborah was seen during their high school years as a kind person, helping local charities and leading campaigns against bullying.  For her to pay a bully to bully others, let alone the childhood friend of her boyfriend…

                        “And yet,” Sarah continued, catching everyone’s attention, “I don’t blame her.  I, too, was once in love with Peter, and I was jealous of how much in love Peter was with Deborah.  Had I not been more worried about Peter’s happiness than my own, I probably would’ve done the same.”

                        “Sarah,” Deborah stared at her, unable to believe her ears.

                        “I am still mad at you though,” Sarah gave Deborah a pointed look, “You are also responsible for driving my sister insane and putting us in this mess.  But let me make this clear.  Nothing will, or ever, happen between Peter and I.  I’ve already moved on, thank you.”

                        “Will you stop playing the martyr and just kill the b***h already,” Zoey thrusted a gun towards her sister, “Because of her, I had to suffer that nightmare over and over again in my sleep!  Avenge us, sister!”

                        “You mean ‘avenge you’, right?”

                        “Huh?”

                        “Perhaps I should kill you instead,” Sarah turned to look at Zoey with anger in her eyes, her confidence rising and overwhelming her fear and timidness, “You know, ever since that incident years ago, you changed for the worse.”

                        “I changed for the better!”

                        “How so?  By losing weight, becoming beautiful physically?  Your soul got uglier and uglier, until you became no different than them, maybe even worse.”

                        “What the f**k are you saying?!  I am NOT like them!!!”

                        “”Oh, really?  Since college, you kept on me about my weight, wanting me to lose weight as fast as you.  Well, I’m sorry if I didn’t feel like ending up in the hospital almost every week from over exercising and starving myself.  I also didn't feel like showing off to everyone once I lost weight like you did, acting like you were better than everyone else.  And don’t get me started about the boyfriends I kept bringing over to meet the family and they broke up with me just to date you.”

                        “I did you a favor, sister.  None of them were good enough for you.”

                        “And they seem to not be good enough for you, either, since you dumped them a few weeks after dating them.  You wonder why I don’t bring them over anymore, and that’s why.  You flirt with them, right in front of Mom and Dad and me, and slipped them your phone number before we left.  Do you know how I felt whenever you did that?  Ashamed of you, hurt, betrayed.  Out of all the bullies I had to deal with in my life, never would I thought it would be my own sister.”

                        “I will pretend I did not hear that if you just kill that b***h right here and now,” Zoey growled through clenched teeth, thrusting the gun once more at Sarah.

                        “I refuse,” Sarah smacked the gun away, “I won’t become like you, or those we hated in the past.”

                        “I thought you hated them, hated them enough to want them gone from your life!  Come now, where’s that hatred your eyes once sparkled with?!”

                        “I hated them back then.  I hated them with all I had!  But hatred only eats away at your life.  You lose sight on what’s most important and let those you despise consume your every waking moment.  The only way to move on passed what they did is to forgive them, for to forgive them is to forget them.  Don’t forgive them because you do, but because you want to move on away from the hate and living in the past.

                        “Look at you Zoey.  Look at all yourselves.  You keep living in the past, hating and hating your bullies, and what do you think your bullies are doing right now?  Living their lives without looking back, not even once.  We’re just passing memories to them, someone to forget.  Meanwhile, we’re simmering in so much hatred that it twists our souls and we end up going to the extremes to try and end it.  But it won’t be the end.”

                        “Yes it will,” Zoey screeched, “Once they suffer for what they’ve done, then we can move on with our lives!  We can finally be happy!”

                        “Has marring Cindy’s face made you happy?”

                        “Huh?”

                        “Deborah may have paid Cindy and her gang to come after me, but it was Cindy and her gang that assaulted you and posted those pictures.  You got your revenge on them, but it wasn’t enough, was it?  When they told you it was Deborah that paid for the hit on me, you wanted to get her too.  You even brought her here to confess, probably on a promise that you will let her live if she did.  But you plan on killing her along with Deborah, weren’t you?”

                        “And you think they don’t deserve to live?  They ruined my life!”

                        “I think they made your life better.  You made yourself better than what you were back then.  You’re a supermodel, making money like it was nobody's business and touring all over the world.  You have Mom and Dad’s love, for they hadn’t said anything about you stealing my boyfriends.  What do they really have before your friends attacked them?  A cheerleading career that only entails them to riding on the tailcoats of the team they’re cheering for.  Not really a life, if you ask me.”

                        “But what about you?  You’re still fat, even if you lost a pound or two.  You’re still not a famous author, just a design consultant at a blue-collar job.  Where do I see the happiness in your life?”

                        “I don’t need to go to extremes with my life, for I am happy with what I’m doing.  A roof over my head and a steady paycheck is good enough for me.  And the very fact that you list my faults shows that you have become just like Cindy and all the bullies you’re supposedly ‘punishing’.  For who the hell does that to their own sibling?”

                        Zoey’s face was becoming red with rage.  She expected her own sister to share the same anger like her and make an example of Deborah and Cindy.  When the hell did Sarah grew a backbone?  Ever since she can remember, Sarah was always timid due to low self-esteem.  She didn’t even fought for the boyfriends she had charmed away from Sarah.  So why now, of all times?

                        The other extremists was watching the exchanged with confused and shocked faces.  Was their leader really what they vowed to exterminate from the world?  Was she a bully to her own sister, the worst kind of bully to be, second to a parent bullying a child?  They weren’t even sure what to do at this point other than wait for Zoey’s orders.  She was, after all, their leader and biggest contributor.

                        “Enough of this,” Zoey thrusted the gun at Sarah again, “Are you going to take care of business or not?”

                        “No.  Now leave, and take your friends with you.  I’m done with you.”

                        “You…” Zoey exclaimed, eyes wide in shock, “You don’t mean that.  Take it back.  Take it back, or I’ll tell Mom and Dad!”

                        “And what they’re going to do?  Scold me?  They can’t do anything at this point.  I’m an adult, and so are you.  The day of them scolding us are over.  Plus, I’m pretty certain they would love to hear that you’re killing people because they’re bullies and convincing young people to kill as well, making a hypocrite of yourself.”

                        Zoey growled in outraged and pointed the gun at Sarah, who stood her ground with her chin high.  Her friends behind her were yelling on shock and outrage, Deborah begging Zoey to kill her instead.

                        Suddenly, the windows shattered as small cylinders rolled onto the floor, emitting strange color smoke.  Someone screamed gas before everyone began coughing from the smoke entering their lungs.  Sarah fell to her knees while trying to cover her mouth with her sleeve, Zoey losing sight of her in the smoke while trying to see through watery eyes where Sarah disappeared to.  Some of the young adults took advantage and attacked their assailants, pinning some to the ground while others struggled to get their guns away.  The doors burst opened and police officers wearing gas masks came barging in, barking orders and pointing their guns at the assailants.  One-by-one, everyone was led out of the school to waiting police vans and ambulances.  Zoey was handcuffed after being disarmed and was being led to a police car when she saw Sarah being led to an ambulance, one masked police officer standing by her.

                        “You little b***h,” Zoey spat at her, “You stalled us for the cops to show up, didn’t you?!  You called them ahead of time!”

                        “I didn’t,” Sarah coughed, showing Zoey a device that looked like car remote, “I have a button on here that alerts the police whenever I am in danger.  Part of the latest car models, I was told.  Came in handy.”

                        “You won't stop us from finishing what we started.  The bullies of the world will pay for their sins!”

                        “In due time,” Sarah muttered.

                        “Geez,” the police officer suddenly said, “I’m kinda glad now that you didn’t introduced me to your family before we began dating.  You sister’s hot, but she is nuts.”

                        “What the hell,” Zoey exclaimed as the police officer removed his mask, revealing a sharp face with piercing eyes, a face every girl dreams of their Prince Charming having.

                        “You remember Leon don’t you,” Sarah asked, taking his hand in hers, “We’re actually engaged.”

                        “Leon?  As in Leon Starcast?  The kid in middle school you used to hang out with before his family moved?  The kid with big glasses and acne everywhere?  That Leon?!”

                        “One in the same,” her sister answered with a dreamy look in her eyes as she recalled those days long ago…

 

 

                        Leon had been  assaulted by the larger kids before they left him alone in the hallway to make it to class,  picking up his books and the remains of his homework.  He fixed his glasses and went for another piece of paper when it was picked up for him.  He looked up to see an overweight girl with a kind smile on her face, helping him with his supplies.  He could see the popular girls snickering at them, and the hurt in the girl’s eyes that she tried to hide.  He felt ashamed that she was being picked on because of her before she gave him his supplies back and beamed at him brightly.

                        “If you ever need to talk to someone,” she said, “You let me know.  I’m Sarah Gold.”

                        “Leon Starcast.”

 

 

                        “I’m trying to get into the police force,” Leon said to Sarah one day while at the park, “I’m trying to put on muscle, but nothing seems to work.”

                        “I’ve been trying to lose weight forever,” Sarah replied, “The diets the doctors put me on don’t seem to work, and they think my sister and I were both born with low metabolism.”

                        “Isn’t there any quick way to solve our problems?”

                        “Steroid for muscles, and just not eating for losing weight.”

                        “Not really good choices, are they?”

                        “Maybe the ‘slow and steady’ motto has more truth to it than everyone thinks.  It can happen, if we just stick true to our dreams.”

                       

 

                        “I’m gonna miss you Leon.” 

                        “I’m gonna miss you too, Sarah.  I’ll write as soon as I get to the new house. Let you know how I do.”

                        “I know that you’ll do just fine.”

 

 

                        Sarah was sitting at a cafe, typing her latest book.  Leon and her wrote to each other many times, but soon the letters dwindled from not having enough time to write.  Leon didn’t have a computer, so they couldn’t email or message each other.  She figured that he had moved on, hopefully for the better.  She herself was almost done with era book and would soon publish it on a self-publishing website.  With prayer and good luck, it would take off real quick.

                        Checking the time, she put her laptop away and went to her car, only to find that someone had broken into it.  Sighing loudly, she called the police and waited twenty minutes for them to arrived.  Who stepped out of the police car surprised her.

                        “Are you the one who called about the break in,” the police officer asked, “Wait… Sarah?”

                        “It’s been awhile Leon.  I see you lost the glasses.”

                        “Heh, heh.  Got contacts now.”

 

 

                        “Does Mom and Dad know about this,” Zoey asked.

                        “Told them two days ago,” Sarah answered, “I was going to tell you later tonight, but… You know.”

                        “I’ll make certain we have so much time to catch up once I pay bail,” Zoey promised before she was pushed into the police car.

                        “There won’t be bail,” Leon promised Sarah as he kneeled before her, “Prosecutor will make certain of it.  She’s wanted for the assault and murder of twenty people, including attempting to kill you and everyone else here.  Do you think you can stand trial if called upon?”

                        “I don’t have a choice.  She’s my sister, and a victim of bullying, but that doesn’t excuse her for her crimes.  I’m so tired…”

                        “It’s a side effect of the gas,” Leon explained, “Once the paramedics see you, we’ll go home.  By the way, nice work back there.  I didn’t know my sweet fiancée could get that serious.”

                        “Call it acting love.  Did you know that authors like to put themselves in the main character's’ shoes while writing?  They do that to get a feel of the story and where they would go from there.”

                        “And you are a wonderful actress,” he leaned down to kiss her, “By the way, you were right about that ‘slow and steady’ speech awhile back.  Was I worth the wait, or are you still smitten with Peter?”

                        “Would I be engaged to you if I still was?  I can’t believe you’re still jealous.  Man up, already.  You got the girl of your dreams, even if she’s still under construction.”

                        “I don’t think she is.  I think she’s perfect just the way she is.”

                        Sarah smiled, feeling tired.  The paramedics declared her fine, but should be on bed rest for a day.  Leon took her home and kept watch on her, hating himself for not going with her that night.  Sarah kept telling him not to feel guilty for not going just because of work, and it worked out for the best. 

                        A week later, while working on her latest novel, Sarah received a phone call from Deborah.  She hesitated in whether or not to answer, then decided that there was no point in stalling in inevitable.

                        “Hello?”

                        “Hi Sarah,” Deborah began hesitantly, “How are you?”

                        “I am fine.  The gas didn’t harm me in the least.  How about you and Peter?”

                        “Only a day away from work for both of us.  Did you hear anything… from Zoey at all?”

                        “She and her band of extremists are in jail without bail.  The police are still gathering evidence on all the cases they have been involved in.  Needless to say, they’re not getting away anytime soon.”

                        “What about your parents?”

                        “They have mixed feelings about the situation.  On one point, they want to help Zoey stay out of prison.  On the other point, they’re ashamed and disappointed that Zoey tried to kill me.  I’m still waiting for when I need to go to court to give my testament, but the lawyers say I may not have to due to my relationship with Zoey.”

                        “I… see,” Deborah mused, pausing for a moment, “Sarah… listen… about what happened… at the reunion….”

                        “Forget about it for now,” Sarah interrupted, “As I said, I don’t wanna hold grudges that end up tying up my life.  I’ll admit, it’s gonna take me some time to consider forgiving you for what you’ve done.  You cost me Zoey and her sanity, even if you didn’t attacked Zoey directly, and cost many others their lives and livelihoods.”

                        “I know.  Peter’s been constantly reminding me about it.  He told me he never felt so much disappointment towards me.  Even my campaigns took a hit.  I’m not certain as to what to do.  I’m ashamed of myself for what I did so long ago.”

                        “You’ll figure it out.  I need to get back to work.  When I’m ready, I’ll call you.”

                        “Oh… okay.  I guess I’ll be see you then.”

                        “Maybe.  Bye.”

                        “Bye.”

                        Sarah hung up the phone and went back to typing.  She knew that she had already forgiven Deborah, but she didn’t had to let her know that just yet.  Let Deborah simmer in her guilt for a while, for Zoey’s sake.  It’s the most she can do for her after not being able to save her so long ago.  She’ll call Deborah in a week.

           

 

THE END

© 2017 Omegax45


Author's Note

Omegax45
Something I wrote up in my spare time. As I said in an earlier fiction, I'm against bullying, and I'm also against using extreme force to solve the issue. Better ways have been found and should be implemented by everyone. Also, instead of posting about people being bullied and everyone saying something should be done, why not do something instead of talking about it. Prevention and nipping it in the bud will stop it from becoming worse. Remember, bullying is one path to becoming a criminal.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

180 Views
Added on April 6, 2017
Last Updated on May 4, 2017
Tags: bullying, fiction, morality, suspense

Author

Omegax45
Omegax45

CT



About
I have published my second book in the series after three years: Hell's Detective: Lust. It is available now on Amazon Kindle and soon to be available as a paperback. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Omegax45


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Omegax45


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Omegax45