The Half Way Point

The Half Way Point

A Story by Orez

"Orez used the last of his strength to pull himself up onto the plateau at the top of the mountain. He rolled over on his back, gasping for breath, and let out a short, labored laugh. He then fell into a deep deep sleep. When he awoke some time later, it was almost dark. He climbed slowly to his feet, and made his way to the edge of the landing where he braced himself against a tree and relieved himself. Then he looked out across the distance. There were shorter peaks, and forrests so thick he could not tell if there were any inhabitants in the valley below. On the horizon, there was a soft glow coming from his destination. The wind blew his hair; he closed his eyes and smiled at the thought of seeing his friends and loved ones again. He walked away from the tree, slowly, still not trust his tired legs, and leaned against a rock wall jutting up from the dirt. He slid his back down the rock, and sat on the ground, wondering how long it would take him to get back down the other side. As he pondered, he noticed something a few feet away. To his side, there was small square package, done up nicely with a red bow on top. 'Stange, he thought, what in existance is that doing here?' He reached over and picked it up, and in doing so, noticed there was also a tag on it, bearing his name. With a cautious curiosity, he slowly undid the bow, and opened the flaps of the box. Inside, there was a note with a simple message, 'Thought you might need these. - A Friend" Underneath the note were two wodden handles which felt very familiar in his hands. Orez gasped as he realized what he was holding. He tosses the box aside, and clasped one handle in each hand. He closed his eyes and felt a warm, calm feeling flow through him. There was sound then, like air being split by thin metal. He opened his eyes, and his blades and appeared on the hilts he clutched in his hands. He stood up so fast his head began to spin. Upon regaining his balance he walked back to the edge of the cliff and held the swords high above his head and let out a victory roar. He closed his eyes and thought of his friends. Krysta and Esla, Zero and Ezro, of all the things he had missed along his journey. He let the blades vanish again, and tucked the two wooden rods into his pockets. He set his gaze on the soft glow coming from village. He said the only thing that was on his mind...."Hang on guys.....i'll be there soon"

© 2012 Orez


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Well, I feel like I just read the end to a great adventure/quest story. Where's the beginning?

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

163 Views
1 Review
Added on May 21, 2012
Last Updated on May 21, 2012
Tags: Orez, Mountain, Swords, Cliff

Author

Orez
Orez

Opelika, AL



About
Starting to take my writing somewhat seriously and figured this would be a good place to start. Most of my stuff is very old and I don't have much recent work. I have a short scene/fantasy motif and m.. more..

Writing