Sexual Harassment

Sexual Harassment

A Story by Otter

On March 18th. I was at company HQ. The Company Vice President informed me that there had been a complaint filed against me by Wells Blue Bunny in Lemars Iowa, charging Sexual Harassment against me.
In my travels I’ve talked to people about my hobby, writing. I’ve given people my card and written the web address on the back, inviting them to read my work. One such invitation was to a female security guard at Wells Blue Bunny, who read one of my stories and then complained to management at Wells Blue Bunny saying I wrote the story about her. The guards name is Rebecca, and she thinks I wrote the story Rebecca about her and found it very offensive.
The company has placed me on probation, and I’ve been banned from the property of Wells Blue Bunny. At this point I might add that Wells Blue Bunny is a valued customer and a source of a great deal of the work my company does.
Now I’m torn between trying to continue my duties with the company with this complaint hanging over my head, or cleaning out my truck and seeking work elsewhere.
I’m also faced with the problem of my writing. I’m not good enough to seek publication, should I just delete what I’ve written, keep my job, and go on like nothing ever happened? Should I continue writing, perhaps changing the names of my fictional works to names less common? The world is full of people named Rebecca, Mike, Donna, and Kelly, this could prove to be the start of a long ongoing world of s**t for Otter.
Rebecca, the security guard, expressed to me that she didn’t read much, and I told her most of my work was a page or less, I didn’t direct her to the story “Rebecca,” I directed her to the site, and my user name. I’m sure if her name was Carol, or I had named my story Susan, this never would have been a problem.
I’m glad I deleted the stories I thought were too perverted for the forum, and I will never again share the name of the site with anyone outside our group.
What pisses me off about this, is the fact that I can prove I started writing Rebecca two years ago and the last change I saved was on 01-29-2007, six months before I started working for my company and hauling out of Wells Blue Bunny, and the fact that I haven’t been afforded the opportunity to defend myself against the complaint. Even a criminal would have the benefit of a hearing, the benefit of counsel, the right to examine and present evidence, and interview witnesses. Not the case when a company just informs someone that you’ve been banned from the property.
I’m also glad I never had anything published, could you imagine what kind of trouble I would have if I gave a copy of my book to someone who didn’t like it?
When I told the company Vice President that I was going to delete my work, he told me not to. Other friends have also told me not to let this hamper my writing.
So I would like to thank my friends here, who offered their reviews and encouragement. I wish you happy writing. It was fun while it lasted, my special thanks to Jet Lag, I owe you a hug, and Ray, some of the greatest work I’ve read, and everyone who took a few minutes to read my work.

Thank you.

Otter

© 2008 Otter


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is absolutely outrageous. It is PC gone so far out of control. If you can prove this story was written before your contact with her, I'd be damn if I would alter it. I am so sorry this had happened to you. Just the charge is all that is need to damage a reputation. If it weren't for some touchy business issues, I think you would have a case of defamation. This is devastating to your character, and reputation. How close are you to your bosses ? I would be so angry, that I would definately want ALL suspicion taken from my name. It's probably best left alone...too many chances to lose business. I am so angry right now! For one womans distorted, paranoid perception to ruin your love of writing. Don't let it happen!!! By God, you are right, and she is wrong. Man. I'm serious about a defamation suit. Just don't stop writing. If you love it..stay with it. If I can help in any way...I'm here. I believe in you. Rain..

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Do not let this one women ruin the potential you have as a writer. you are to amazing to just delete your work and pretend like you have no talent. Stick to your guns and I think you will make it through the rough patch but don't give up! Love ya uncle skip!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
JC
Be through this, yes I was accussed of SH under a ridiculous situation. Turns out, the person was looking to make some quick cash. I stuck to my guns, and you should too. If you didn't do anything wrong. the truth will come out.

Unfortunately, the pendulum has swung all the way to the otherside, with the knee jerk reactions of corporate America. BTW, all HR departments have an obligation to complete a full investigation. If it were me, I would insist on it, big client or not.
And no one should, let 's repeat that, NO ONE, should make you feel like deleting your work. Our country was founded on freedom of the press for a reason.

Whew... ok, so get back to writing!

All My Best,
JC

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

jez, i am furious!

i am so sorry to just now get to this. i feel as if i have not been there for you in a low time. i am so behind on my reading list due to my crappy situation at work. but having gone through my own persecution, i am now better able to relate.

i am just so pissed that your writing has any kind of negative impact on your job! I am pissed that you might think it prudent to deprive us of your stories that have me sitting on the edge of my seat. there are not many writers who can truly do that, "published" or no. you, rain, susi... are a few that come to my blood-angered brain.

if your writing impacts you, i can only imagine what it will do to me, what i may have already done.

and don't think you aren't good enough to get published. your storytelling is great. that is a gift. more people can edit than create story. please keep writing. just don't toss pearls before swine.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Outrageous! I agree with Rain! Don't stop writing, since you can prove your case; Any judge would dismiss such a case.
People are so damned paranoid these days, thinking everything is about them! The honest people get the shaft because of all the bad apples that have caused fears in the average person.
Kudos for writing this and speaking your story to the masses. Perhaps people might learn a thing or two about assuming the worst with out thinking first.

Strength to you Otter! May you always find safe harbour in the sands of time!
Infinity's Shadow

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Evidence of a world gone very wrong. . .

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

This is absolutely outrageous. It is PC gone so far out of control. If you can prove this story was written before your contact with her, I'd be damn if I would alter it. I am so sorry this had happened to you. Just the charge is all that is need to damage a reputation. If it weren't for some touchy business issues, I think you would have a case of defamation. This is devastating to your character, and reputation. How close are you to your bosses ? I would be so angry, that I would definately want ALL suspicion taken from my name. It's probably best left alone...too many chances to lose business. I am so angry right now! For one womans distorted, paranoid perception to ruin your love of writing. Don't let it happen!!! By God, you are right, and she is wrong. Man. I'm serious about a defamation suit. Just don't stop writing. If you love it..stay with it. If I can help in any way...I'm here. I believe in you. Rain..

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

398 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 6, 2008

Author

Otter
Otter

Milton, VT



About
USCG 1971, Pilot, Driver, Radio Operator more..

Writing
Howard Howard

A Story by Otter


Carolyn Carolyn

A Story by Otter



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..