The other side of me

The other side of me

A Poem by Owen Aldin
"

Personalities and different roles that one may hold.

"

The other side of me


A city boy since birth,

In sound, looks and attitude.

Labelled loud, 

Outspoken,

Full of charm and cheeky too.

That’s just me to some of you.

 

Sometimes seen to be the one,

To give direction,

Make the fun.

Also time to be the clown.

Converting smile, 

From a frown.

 

Share the wisdom,

Give words of advice.

The older responsible brother,

To give up my slice.

 

In times of crisis,

Awake and asleep,

The friend for life,

To fix the mess.

 

The rock and cornerstone,

A source of strength.

The learner and listener,

The apprentice.

A lover,

A hater,

A chocolate-chip maker,

The drinker and writer,

The striver and fighter.

 

So many angles,

I’ve set them all free,

You now understand,

The other side of me.

© 2016 Owen Aldin


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Awesome poem! So true how many different sides one person can have. This poem really reminds me of a quote I like from A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens, "A wonderful fact to reflect upon, that every human creature is constituted to be that profound secret and mystery to every other." Thanks for sharing this interesting poem!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Owen Aldin

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much for your comments. I can tell by your comments and profile you are an avid reader,.. read more



Reviews

This poem really is good. The person we become for others verses the person no one ever truly sees. Every day struggles most of us face. The person we truly are and whether it would be excepted. Thank you for sharing I look forward to reading more.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Owen Aldin

8 Years Ago

Thank you! This was certainly one of the more enjoyable poems I have written and its quite apparent .. read more
Owen, enjoyed your poem, you covered all the sides of a personality like a rubiks cube. The whole time I was reading your poem the music of "The Fightin Side of Me" by the great country music singer and poet of the common man, Merle Haggard rang through my mind. Very good! Richie B.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Definitely gives insight into how a lot of people can be many different things. I always say that there is more than one truth to a person. I also read somewhere that a person has three faces; one he shows the world, one he shows his family and friends, and one he keeps to himself (which is the truest face), and this poem reflects that very well. Good job! Keep writing!

Posted 8 Years Ago


I love this. Unfortunately most of us only find that other side of a person when they are dead and we hear it from someone else. At least it was that way with my parents! Thank you for bringing the to mind with this piece. They have been gone awhile.

Posted 8 Years Ago


The Anatomy of Being Human. Your poem tells the different human facets. Portraying the different faces and how he deals with the people around him, as well as traits he usually shares with others.

Great poem! :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


A rather nice one pretty cheerful,something I do not see often here, and with a pretty obvious and true meaning.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Owen Aldin

8 Years Ago

Always good to be a little bit positive, can't be all doom and gloom! Thanks for reading!
Nicely composed.. a deep idea.. how often we forget our hidden "us".. the part of us that is not so apparently visible to others.. we are more complex than we can ever imagine.. thats what I feel.. thanks for bringing this idea out..

Posted 8 Years Ago


Owen Aldin

8 Years Ago

I like the phrasing, 'hidden us', I should have used this for the title.
onmyway

8 Years Ago

Haha.. more than welcome!! :D
You have set them all free..how lovely you seem Owen and well rounded an individual. Just that an individual too. I would be curious to do your numerology. :) Very nice poem, it's like a written self portrait.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Owen Aldin

8 Years Ago

Thank you Jesse! I wasn't blessed as a drawer, but I'm not bad with words!
Awesome poem! So true how many different sides one person can have. This poem really reminds me of a quote I like from A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens, "A wonderful fact to reflect upon, that every human creature is constituted to be that profound secret and mystery to every other." Thanks for sharing this interesting poem!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Owen Aldin

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much for your comments. I can tell by your comments and profile you are an avid reader,.. read more
I love the ending, it really wraps up the poem in a clear and concise way.

It is difficult to let go of the many angles, to set them all free and be who you are.

Well done.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Owen Aldin

8 Years Ago

Thank you for your feedback especially about the end! Looking forward to getting through some of you.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

647 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 11, 2015
Last Updated on March 4, 2016
Tags: Sides, roles

Author

Owen Aldin
Owen Aldin

London, United Kingdom



About
I write to relax and escape from life. Enjoy. more..

Writing
Steps Steps

A Poem by Owen Aldin



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..