Chapter four

Chapter four

A Chapter by ♥Dancing giraffe♥

Flawless 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter four

 

 

That night, Riley sat at the piano chair staring at the keys before her with her hands in her lap. She looked fragile, almost broken, as she sat silently by herself. Muta sat perched by the windowsill, sleeping lazily.

 

            Riley rarely played the piano, but Jennifer knew enough that she liked to hear others play. Sometimes when she would come home from work, Renee would sit by Riley and play for her. It was a small attempt to get Riley to interact with her and sometimes it worked when Riley would slowly bring her hands up to the keys, pressing a few down to create a small musical note. She listened to her mother’s music and then she’d try to copy her movements to create the same noise again.

 

Today she only stared as Renee put away the leftovers in the kitchen, fumbling with her hands without a sound.

 

Jennifer stood by the steps, pausing to watch her sister. She used to always want a little sister when she was younger.

 

When she was in seventh grade, she could remember her parents sitting her down in the living room. It was her birthday that day, but they didn’t celebrate it due to the fact that it was a week day. The birthday party would be later, during the weekend when there was no school the next morning.

 

That Tuesday, they didn’t do much except allow Jennifer to eat one cup cake after dinner and open one of her presents her parents bought for her.

 

Her father had the video camera on as Jennifer tore away the wrapper to her present.

 

“What’s this?” she asked, her nose wrinkled. It was something small. Something she hadn’t seen in years since her baby cousin’s visit during thanksgiving. Though, she knew what it was; A pacifier. Her eyes widened as realization sunk in and she glanced toward her mother’s stomach. “You’re…”

 

Renee smiled. “You’re going to be a big sister,” she said, holding Jennifer’s hand. “We’re having a baby,”

 

It was the best present she could’ve asked for, even though they talked about having another baby for years, it was finally coming true. Having a little sister wasn’t like having a pet; it was about taking care of something precious and small that was completely vulnerable and defenseless against the world. Plus, they didn't age as fast as pets did, which was a bonus. Jennifer couldn’t wait for that baby to be born, praying that it’d be a girl, because she wanted to dress her up and put bows in her hair so she’d look cute and pretty.

 

My little sister…

 

Riley lifted her hand to press down one key and the sound rung out in the living room, utterly alone. There was no other sound that followed. Riley dropped her hand to rest in her lap again.

 

Jennifer sighed and stepped from the steps.

 

“Where are you going?” her mother asked as Jennifer headed toward the door.

 

“I told you yesterday,” she reminded her without pausing. “To the party tonight,” She wore golden hoop earrings, which was something she usually wore, with normal clothes; skinny jeans and a black shirt that was loosen but tight around the waist.

 

Renee nodded to this at first, but then the realization hit her before it hit Jennifer; that she had just told the truth.

 

Renee slowly looked up from the dish washer and set the dirty plate she’d been holding on the counter. “I thought you told me you were going to study at Rachelle’s house,” she said, puzzled.

 

Jennifer felt unusual and befuddled. “I lied,” she blurred, shocked at the words that came from her mouth. “I mean, I…” I am going to Rachelle’s house, right now - say it! “I’m going to the party,” Jennifer’s hands shot to her mouth, mortified.

 

“You get back here right now, young lady,” Renee ordered, her calm face transforming into an angered one. Jennifer had no choice but to obey. She took a deep breath through her nose, keeping her mouth covered, and turned around slowly before walking over to stand before her mother who had ventured out of the kitchen and into the living room.

 

Renee’s arms were at her sides, holding her hips; something she usually did when she was frustrated or angry. “Now,” she breathed deeply; heatedly. “I would like to know where you planned on going just now,”

 

Jennifer shook her head, her hands remaining on her mouth, keeping her from spilling the truth.

 

Renee tapped her foot impatiently. “Right now,” Her face was cross, her jaw tense.

 

Slowly, Jennifer removed her hands. “I planned on going to Rick’s party tonight, but I told you that I was going to Rachelle’s house to study because I believe my parents are dull enough to believe it-” she jumped as another surge of shock swept through her body, and before she could stop, she added “And I think there’ll be beer at the party,” Jennifer’s hands shot to her mouth again, dumbfounded.

 

What’s wrong with me?

 

Renee’s face was beat red, the small vein near her right temple throbbed in response. “Upstairs. Right now.” She demanded, pointing toward the stairs to Jennifer’s room.

 

Jennifer, confused and dazed as she was, obliged obediently. She climbed the steps back up to her room and closed the door as quietly as possible; all the while her heart thudded loudly in her ears.

 

What’s wrong with me?

 

Was this some type of punishment? Some strange guilt thing that was happening to her that made her tell the truth? Jennifer sat down at the edge of her bed, staring straight ahead. No, it couldn’t be. She never felt guilty or regretted anything she’s ever done in her life, so it couldn’t be guilt that she was feeling.

 

Suddenly, words formed in her head; you have twenty-four hours, Jennifer Kingsly… to do what? The words were spoken just the other day, but what else was there? What couldn’t she remember?

 

After a second of thinking about it, Jennifer soon grasped that it was a threat. Someone threatened me…It wasn’t her fault - it couldn’t possibly be her fault because this has never happened before. She wasn’t sure how or why, but she couldn’t lie.

 

And it was all because of that boy that came to her the other day; Cole.



© 2011 ♥Dancing giraffe♥


Author's Note

♥Dancing giraffe♥
It's not really getting as many responses as i would like, but heck - i like writing, and i'm hoping to get better at it. But anyway - chapter four. Please, review. ^^
Thank you for reading.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

UH OH. One or two responces from people who really like the story can sometimes be enough. Try featuring it or putting it in review groups if you're really serious about getting more reviews.
Best chapter yet! I love how she got caught, and then realized she had been forced into telling the truth by Cole. Great job. It reminds me of "Liar, Liar", the Jim Carrey movie. Well done!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

lol, i like this! it reminds me of the movie, Liar, Liar! I hope you write more! ^^

Posted 12 Years Ago


Ahhaahah I loved it!! I love how she caught herself. If I were her my first reaction would be oh crap I'm dead. hehe I like how her parents told her about her new sister. I thought it as cuate. Excellnet chapter :D

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

UH OH. One or two responces from people who really like the story can sometimes be enough. Try featuring it or putting it in review groups if you're really serious about getting more reviews.
Best chapter yet! I love how she got caught, and then realized she had been forced into telling the truth by Cole. Great job. It reminds me of "Liar, Liar", the Jim Carrey movie. Well done!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

289 Views
3 Reviews
Added on June 4, 2011
Last Updated on June 4, 2011


Author

♥Dancing giraffe♥
♥Dancing giraffe♥

Wonderland^^



About
Name; Just say it’s Joelle. (~ since it's my middle name and i dislike my first~) Some things about me; I have horrible social skills :( I love reading, writing, and painting ~ it&rsquo.. more..

Writing