Storms of the West

Storms of the West

A Poem by P.H. Carver

 Give me your worst,

A deadly wreath,

Till I may burst,

Show me those teeth.


 What lies beneath,

That sacred fury,

Soon to unleash,

Make the cursed scurry.


 Hollow me out,

Storms of the west,

Make me new,

And destroy the rest,

I beg to you.


 Pave a new way,

Into nature you wove,

Breath new life,

This forgotten grove.


 “Nay,” says the man,

Weary of change,

“Get out of here,

Go away,

You wretched storms!

Leave us alone,

us loners out here,

we prefer the same way,

can you not hear?”


 But the storms of the west,

Ignored the man without change,

And the place we call home,

Will never be the same.

© 2011 P.H. Carver


Author's Note

P.H. Carver
How do YOU interpret this poem?

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Intense, a fight with one's inner self to accept that change. I love how deep you went into this and the imagery is brilliant.


"Pave a new way,
Into nature you wove,
Breath new life,
This forgotten grove."

This stanza was like a beautiful hymn sung a summer's evening to me.



Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

It is a contrast of two views, one being that the wind of change is unwelcome, and considered a bad thing, the other being that change is a good thing and shall cleanse the atmosphere around them. Well written, somewhat dark which I also like.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I think this describes two extremes. One, begging for change to happen, the other, demanding the change to stay away and fending against it with seclusion from external influences. While they can predict the weather (in this case the storm, representing change) to some degree, neither, of course, can control it. If your live in a fragile house (the house being your mental state), the best you can do to fend against a storm, is to fortify your walls. In this case, the walls keeping the rest of the world out. Sticking to the safety of familiar things is a popular choice.

Posted 12 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
EMF
Damn you're good. Personally I interpret the poem as an affirmation of the changes of life. It is incredibly well written with shifts in wordplay and wonderful imagry. It carries its message, but you allow the reader to interrept it for themselves. Cracking write. Enjoyed it a lot.

Posted 12 Years Ago


This is written very well! My interpretation of this piece- some welcome the change a storm brings, a rebirth, if you will. And then, there is the man (possibly, representing the loners, that are not willing to change). Yet, the storm is unstoppable and "change" is inevitable... Great write!

Posted 12 Years Ago


This poem kind of made me remember that some things I cant change no matter how bad I really want to change them. Another feeling I had was a feeling of me being alone and surrounded by nothing. I really like this poem, it can be interpreted in a few different ways.

Posted 12 Years Ago


this was an interesting poem ...it made me think of the things that i cant prevent from happening...but it also made me feel lonely so great job for making the reader feel the emotion...great write just like the others

Posted 12 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
...
Very nicely written, makes one kind of feel alone in the world. Nicely written and expressed.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Very good poem.

The rhyming scheme was very neat, and the size of the stanzas were even, which kept it in bite-sized pieces. The wording was also very neatly styled.

I would interpret this poem to be about a relationship between two people, and one circumstance. One person wants this circumstance to change them, make them better, new. While the other sees no reason for change, and wants to hold on to the things that were once there.

In any case, though, the circumstance changed both of them. The first person was just more willing to be changed.

I think the “moral of the story” here would be that change happens, whether we want it to or not- The most we can do is welcome it with open arms and an optimistic perspective.

Good job.

Posted 12 Years Ago


A metaphor for life-changing events and whether or not the events can be weathered.

Posted 12 Years Ago



2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

869 Views
20 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on October 26, 2011
Last Updated on October 26, 2011

Author

P.H. Carver
P.H. Carver

NC



About
I have much to learn and the time to learn it. I've been reading books since I learned how, but the whole world of writing is new to me. I love making new friends. "Blessed are those, Who write .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Wicked Son Wicked Son

A Poem by Thea


Forever Forever

A Poem by Dark Beauty


Not Today Not Today

A Poem by Thea