Hell's Beautiful "Valley of Fire"

Hell's Beautiful "Valley of Fire"

A Story by Steve Healey
"

A trip to Nevada's Valley of fire State Park in the Moapa River Indian Reservation

"

                                         Valley of Fire

The heat radiated all around as I drove the last few miles into this wonderland of massive rock formations, made eons ago. And still changing! The park got its name from the Aztec Sandstone which formed the shifting sand dunes during the age of dinosaurs! During early morning sunrises and late afternoons when the sun light hits the reddish rock. The Valley is aflame with brilliant colors of fire like quality!

The next thing I noticed was the scent of the air. Clean like fresh rain and the smells of “Jasmine”. It is called “Desert Jasmine”. And the creosote bush makes it feel like rain. I stood, with my arms out stretched. Eyes closed, feeling the Sun’s warmth on the palms of my hands. I could almost feel rain drops forming on my scalp but where only beads of sweat.

The sky is bright, medium powder blue. Giving lead to the Cumulonimbus clouds on the distant horizon. Arcus clouds appear sort of like an accessory. The forecast is for thunder storms this evening. I enjoy a good storm! Brilliant streaks of lightning blazing trails across the evening sky. Followed by ground shaking, ear splitting claps of thunder that sets deep within my being. But even more, the exciting challenge of trying to photograph the lightning, anticipating where it will burn it's next illuminating zig zag pattern .

Hellz_a_pop pin as the horizon cups the Sun and it's last few rays burn their way through the clouds, striking the reddish sandstone mountains, emblazoning the rich coloring! Whites turn into a whimsical like marble quality. And tans a golden hue. Even the puffs of sand dust are caught in the rays setting the landscape into an mystical tone . For writers, poets, singers and dreamers will be beholden to it's awe! Oh yes, photographers too.

The wind has picked up a bit more. To my dismay, the storm is blowing toward the North east, away from this location. Although I can see and hear it. Even on a tripod, the zoom lens would show even the slightest shiver/shake in the photo. Its too far away, damn!

A twinkle is in my eye. Then another and another as the night reveals it star spangled wonder. I spent some time admiring the star filled sky. The wind gusts remained till some time in the wee hours of the night. It was still to unsteady to photograph the night sky. I ended it with an apple and a meteorite leaving a whopping, at rough estimate, three quarters of an inch long trail! Imagine the size of it.

Waking at twilight, I started a camp fire to brew my first cup of hot coffee to get the chill out of my bones. Checking camera battery, there is still a full charge on it and the camcorder. With the fire safely put out, coffee in my travel mug and gear in hand, I headed out for an adventure. As I started to follow a trail, I came upon a five foot long piece of branch that I used as a walking stick and tapped the ground ahead of me on occasion to let critters like rattle snakes and other desert denizens advanced notice of my approach. I've found through experience that wildlife appreciate it just as much. They don't like to be startled either! I walk without purpose. Yes, without purpose for I want to be as natural in the field as I am at home. Wildlife's keen sense of their surrounding are very sensitive to unusual movements. I tend to walk a few steps, stop. Take a few more to let the small noise of my movements be interpreted as none menacing. Animals will stop, look, listen, smell and maybe forage a bit, then move on. And again it worked for me. I came upon a Big Horned sheep casually walking the trail ahead of me. He knew I was there long before I seen him but I wasn't perceived as a danger to him. What could I do with a camera?

I slowly stopped coming to a comfortable stance to begin photographing him. I fired my first shot from the hip to see if the shutter release would bother him. Happy to say, no. I spoke silently to him, saying “cheese” as I raised the camera to get a better aim. His left side was profiled for me and I could see his eye was trained on my every movement! He even looked straight at me and posed for a great shot.

My distance from him was apparently acceptable. But as I took a few steps closer, he moved away, I guess to maintain his comfort zone. Within a few moments, he scurried away into the wild and leaving me with a thrill that I was only dreaming of. Fresh hot coffee and wildlife . What a day!

I continued my meanderings, keeping notes on my progress as not to get lost. My sight was set for the unusual. The problem is, all here is, unusual! Soon I came upon a large rock formation that had the likeness of a prehistoric creature frozen in time! Then massive rocks the size of a Volkswagen and bigger that resembled “Bee Hives”. An Archway carved by wind, rain and the sand itself. Massive rocks looking like clumps of Swiss cheese with holes in them. What a place!

The heat was beginning to make it's presents known. Roughly by the position, it is about nine o-clock. Being part native American, I take advantage of reading nature's marks. I was wrong, it is nine forty five! Time to head back for my appointment in Williams, Arizona for my ride on the Grand canyon Railway.

Plans are already in my mind to come back here to follow up on more photo opportunities. Rainy season will bring interesting possibilities also.

In the Cheyenne language: “ahanepeheva-e” it is really good.


© 2017 Steve Healey


Author's Note

Steve Healey
this is a real road trip to nevada's "Valley of Fire, State Park".

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

interesting experience great road trip in mid spring time.

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

146 Views
1 Review
Added on January 15, 2017
Last Updated on April 19, 2017
Tags: native american, reservation, nevada, parks, color, rock formations, erosion, nature.

Author

Steve Healey
Steve Healey

Port Richey, FL



About
I am a 66 year old kid at heart. Either enjoying working on my model railroad or sewing sails for the U.S.S.Constituion sailing ship. Also a freelance photographer. more..