Part 3 (Temporary Title)

Part 3 (Temporary Title)

A Chapter by Rudy Menjivar
"

What happened after the explosion.

"

As Tom saw the explosion, he felt afraid. He saw a giant mushroom cloud, growing higher and higher above the local city, growing higher and higher above the clouds. He was afraid because this had never happened before, why was this happening now, he asked himself, trying to find a desperate answer to the problem at hand. Mesmerized by the explosion, he ignored everything around him, one of the scientists was yelling at him, but he didn’t listen, until the scientist finally shoved him, that he came to his attention. “There’s been an explosion, we have to get out of here”. He said. The explosion won’t kill us, but the fallout radiation will,” he said. “Come on!” he exclaimed. Tom followed him with the rest of the scientists down a set of iron stairs toward the first level and out of the building. There were buses out side taking in scientists and civilians from the city, that managed to escape the explosion, or who were close enough to the hangar to get to the buses. As he saw a line of buses finally leaving, he decided to search for the mushroom cloud again. He walked toward the middle of the road, and saw that the cloud was dissipating. As he walked toward the last bus that was receiving passengers, he heard a woman yell from behind him, he turned around and saw that the woman was his mother, and to his amazement, he saw himself, his original child-self, holding her hand and running with her. Her forehead was stained with blood, and one of her left arm appeared to be broken. The child holding her right arm on the other hand, only appeared to have minor cuts on his face, and his clothes were torn. He ran toward her and helped her get to the remaining bus. “What happened?” he asked her, trying to act as if he didn’t know her. “There was an explosion, while Tom and I were heading out of town,” she said, but Tom wasn’t listening to her, he noticed the boy was staring at him, and saw that the boy was trying to say something to him, but no sound came from his mouth, so he read his lips instead, “Don’t be afraid.” He read. ‘Thank you,” Tom’s mother said as they arrived at the bus. “You’re welcome,” he said as the boy and his mother entered the bus. As he saw them both sit on a seat, he saw the boy staring at him from the window, then the bus driver started the engine and saw the bus make a “U” turn and drive off the other direction away from the city. Tom was alone now, outside of the hangar, staring at an ad about pregnancy abortion, on the other side of the street, on the side of one of the bus stops. A few minutes passed, until suddenly Tom heard another explosion, but this time it sounded ten times stronger ,he ran toward the middle of the street again, and saw that this time it wasn’t an explosion, this time he saw what appeared to be a ray of light coming from the sky, as he stood there amazed, again by another explosion, he saw a clear blue bubble growing from within the epicenter of the explosion, until suddenly the bubble expanded so much that it collapsed, and drew toward all directions, and toward Tom also. The immense energy hit Tom as if he were being burned alive, and also shattered all the windows in the hangar. Tom fell to his knees, holding his ears with his hands as to protect them from shattering too. As Tom sat there in agony, he saw another explosion occur within the same place. Another bubble formed, but this time it was made of fire, and this time, Tom knew he would not survive. Tom tried to remember his life before this had happened, but couldn’t, all he could remember was being in that dark room with all those other kids, suffering from the same thing. The bubble finally exploded, and rushed toward Tom, as to not want to see himself burned alive, Tom closed his eyes, and pictured his mom smiling at him. Tom suddenly awoke in his bed sweating and hot.

 



© 2010 Rudy Menjivar


Author's Note

Rudy Menjivar
What do you think of my story? Do you like it, what do you think i should change from it?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

479 Views
Added on October 11, 2008
Last Updated on July 30, 2010
Tags: Alternate Reality, Alternate Realities, Science Fiction, Science-Fiction


Author

Rudy Menjivar
Rudy Menjivar

Ontario, CA



About
My main genres are: Science Fiction, Mystery, Horror Minor Genres: Crime & Investigative I have decided to become a screenwriter/author I enjoy writing science fiction. more..

Writing