Criticizing Existentialism

Criticizing Existentialism

A Chapter by Rudy Menjivar
"

Similiar to a constructive rant, this short essay tries to explain what I believe are the faults of this belief. This is entirely my own opinion,of course.

"

Where do I start? Existentialism is a paradoxical philosophy. It aims to try to explain the meaning of our existence by saying that there isn't. The way it says this is that there is no meaning to our existence, that our existence was merely by chance. Furthurmore, since there is no meaning, one can do whatever one wants (which seems to reveal traces of anarchy) because there is no god and no reason to continue with our meaningless tasks. Meaningless is the key word here. If what we do is meaningless, then doesn't that make this philosophy meaningless as well? It's a paradox,it doesn't make sense! It successfully countered itself.

The belief seems to be outdated. Perhaps at one time it was a significant philosophy during the 19th and early 20th century, but now that we are globalizing, advancing in practically everything, this philosphy doesn't hold any credence anymore. The philosphy appeared to be more like an escapist philosphy than anything because of it's main premise. The creators of this belief perhaps were made to come up with such a radical form of thought because of something that happened in their lives, such as abuse, violence, prejudice etc. It doesn't seem so far fetched considering the time period it was conceived. In simple terms, in the world of both today and tomorrow, where everything seems to be possible, this belief should stay in history. 



© 2011 Rudy Menjivar


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

204 Views
Added on March 8, 2011
Last Updated on March 8, 2011


Author

Rudy Menjivar
Rudy Menjivar

Ontario, CA



About
My main genres are: Science Fiction, Mystery, Horror Minor Genres: Crime & Investigative I have decided to become a screenwriter/author I enjoy writing science fiction. more..

Writing