Thorns in the Forest (2 of 3)

Thorns in the Forest (2 of 3)

A Story by Pakino
"

Second Part of Three

"

 

“Khalon! Hurry up or we will be late,” shouted Maya

“I am coming,” I said as I packed the caravan with the remaining items, “Let’s go!”

I leaped onto the horse and I watched as my sister, Maya carefully sit behind.

I pulled the reins, signaling the horses to move forward. Slowly the horse began to inch forward as if awoken from a deep sleep. The day was calm and our sprits were high.

“Khalon! Are you sure we will be able to……..,” inquired Maya moments after the horse began to catch speed.

I focused ahead and not looking back said, “Lets hope so.”

Those were the last words we both spoke before I got caught up in this mess. As reluctant I was to accept the terms of the captain I soon stood before the mysterious forest the captain explained.

I raised my right hand forward and began to focus my energy on my hand. I began to vision light. Not light as the sun, but light as eternal knowledge and comfort. As my mind began to vision light, my hand began to emit green particles. The green particles flowed like water and would fall from my hand.

As my mind was able to vision light I opened my eyes and said,

“Guide me Sprit of Light.

Into the dismal darkness

Pave a way for my mind

So that I do not fall astray”

 

Instantly, the green particles began to revolve around me. The fear and anxiety that I had left my soul, as I now had the divine protection of the spirit of light. Allowing me to have a safer journey and alerting me from any dark magic that lingered in the woods. With the spell in place I headed inside

            As I walked around I couldn’t help to notice the wide trunks of the trees and large leaves. It seemed at first sight that the forest must have been in place for more then a millennia. For a moment I lost all track of my mission and soon began to admire nature at its finest. I stopped at one tree and placed my hand on the rough texture and my respect for the forest increased.

            “What could be plaguing a forest as beautiful as this,” I thought, “A forest as splendid as this is a rare find.”

            I soon walked forward in awe and in curiosity. For the forest began to cast a spell on me causing me to wander aimlessly. As I wandered I hadn’t noticed the hole in the ground and fell in.

            I fell hitting my chest causing me to cough. I turned self over and began to inspect the wounds on my body. I pulled up my leather jerkin and noticed a cut on my arm. It wasn’t lethal however I feared that it now was susceptible to poison. I ripped a piece of my cloak and began to wrap my arm on the cloth.

            “This should hold for now, but where am I,” I thought as I looked around and noticed that I had entered some sort of hidden passageway. With no other viable option I headed through the passageway. As I traveled through the passage I raised my right hand in order to start another spell. This time I conjured an image of a ball of fire, burning with intensity. As the image began to take form in my mind I opened my eyes and said,

“Guide me Sprit of Fire

Torch the Darkness

Pave the ground with divinity

So that my vision stays clear.”

 

            A ball of flame began to rest on my hand. The flame began to burn intensely providing light inside the dark passageway. As I walked forward slowly in the underground passage way, I made sure my right hand didn’t set alight any trees or creatures that lingered in the underground.         However, my doubts abruptly ended as I began to notice the end of the passage.

            “Such weird tunnels, who would build such a place….” I thought.

            My thoughts were interrupted by a scream. I rushed forward towards the exit and clenched my fist extinguishing the ball of flame on my hand. I quickly extended my sword and noticed a girl on the ground covering her face from an attack from a pack of wolves.

            I quickly raised my right hand and once again conjured the image of fire in my hand and shouted,

“Come to my Aid Spirit of Fire

Engulf the enemy with your might

Show your honor

Immortal Flame.”

           

            Instantly, the ground below where the pack of wolves rested began to spew out flames. The intense magnitude of the fire immediately incinerated the wolves on impact. The confusion amongst the wolves bought me some time allowing me to come near the girl.

            “Hurry lets go,” I said as I grabbed hold of the girl.

            The girl covered herself in fear as she lay in shock.

            “Hurry or else,” I said but it was too late. The pillar of flame disintegrated and the remaining pack of wolves focused their attention towards me.

            “S**t!” I grabbed hold of my sword and armed myself for any oncoming attacks.  One of the wolves immediately charged towards me, I quickly dodged the wolves claws and countered with a cut to the chest. As the wolf fell down and slowly began to whimper in pain. The remaining wolves looked at each other hesitant to attack. One of the wolves let out a bark and within moments the pack fled.

            As  they left I began to look around in case of any surprise attack. Sensing the coast was clear I sheathed my sword and bent down towards the girl covered in fear.

            “Hey! There gone,” I said as I tried to remove the girl’s arm from her head.

            Slowly she raised her head and looked around and noticed that only I was in front of her. Her skin was fair and her eyes were blue. Her brown hair floating gently on her shoulders, seemed magical and lost me in the moment.

            “Who are you?” She asked.

            Broken by my trance I replied, “Umm… Khalon. And your name?”

            “Rose.”

            I let of a smile and lifted Rose onto her feet and said, “Rose what exactly are you doing here. Its dangerous.”

            “I got lost and began to walk around and all of a sudden the animals started to attack me.”

            “She is panicking,” I thought, “Which town did she come from?”

            Rose placed her soft hand on my arm and said, “Please don’t leave me here. I…. don’t want to die.”

            I was taken a back at Rose’s sudden request. With the current situation at hand it would seem wise to take Rose along.

            “Fine but don’t go wandering this time.”

            We both began to walk deeper into the forest. I instructed Rose to head ahead of me, allowing me to keep an eye for her and keep her out of trouble. However, it also gave me a second to investigate Rose and think as to who Rose’s real identity was.

“Rose what do you think of this forest? I asked suddenly.

            Rose stopped suddenly and looked at me and said, “It seems magical as if we ourselves are in an illusion.”

            “Illusions are perceptions of the mind,” I said a little sternly

            “I feel that illusions are also a reality, however we just cannot seem to grasp it.”

            I stopped and placed my hand on my chin and looked at Rose with curiosity.

            “Ummm… yes?” Rose said as she began to cover her shyness.

            “Are you a scholar of some sort,” I said as I began to smile

            “Is that so?” said Rose softly, “I don’t remember anything only a bright light.”

            “Amnesia? Poor girl,” I thought however our chat soon abruptly ended when a blood thirsty howl was heard not far.

            I grabbed the hilt of my sword and prepared for any enemies. Rose quickly came behind me using me as a shield against the incoming beasts.

            “Over there!” Shouted Rose pointing to the rows of trees in the corner.

            The pack of wolves before reappeared, however this time a large beast was with them. The beast had the body of a human as it stood up with its two legs, however the fangs and fur gave it the distinct look of a wolf.

            “A Fang! What is it doing here?”

            Without letting my mind waver I raised my hand and began to chant a spell,

“Threads of Water

Pile onto one Another

Shatter thou blade to infinity

Ice Thorns”

            Instantly, small hail of ice began to shower upon the enemy, cutting the skin upon impact. The hail traveled the speed of a bullet and began to penetrate into the flesh of the enemy instantly freezing them on the ground.

            As the spell ceased only two wolves and a fang remained. Using my blade I instantly plunged the sword into the enemy. One of the wolves quickly fell victim to my attack as the other ran back from harms away. As I pulled out my sword my eyes fixed towards the fang which stood growling as if awaiting for its turn to strike.

            Catching me off guard the wolf quickly scratched on my arm cutting my clothes. Small droplets of blood began to tickle down my hand and began to stain the hilt of my blade. The pain was not great however, I feared that the scent of the blood may attract nearby wolves. Realizing that time was against me I quickly ran towards the remaining wolf and began to furiously swing my blade.

            The wolf noticed my berserk attack and began to run around, however the fate of the wolf was already sealed as I caught the wolf and lowered the blade severing the neck.

            Without warning the fang that patiently waited began to run towards me its claws ready to pierce my skin. I decided to find higher ground and face my adversary to allow me to gain the advantage of the terrain. My legs could only run so fast as the fang began to draw closer towards me. I quickly turned around and slashed at the fang hitting its arm. The wound didn’t travel deep enough to inflict damage, but allowed me moments to flee to higher ground.

            My movements suddenly stopped as I noticed an arm around my leg. The fang had grabbed hold of me and pulled me back launching me towards a nearby tree.

            “Darn!” I thought, “The fang must have realized my strategy already.”

            Without a moment to spare I raised my hand for another spell, however a force from behind bent my spine as I fell forward in pain. Behind me another fang appeared. Fate now turned against me as it became two vs one.

 

“Dark lore of Time

Spread your wings

Ignite your terror

Abysmal Distortion.”

 

            All of a sudden a black hole began to appear and began to suck in all matter nearby. The fangs got caught in the trap and fell victim, as I quickly held onto a tree in order to not get swept in with the current. I looked around and noticed Rose standing looking fiercely at the black hole. Could she have been the one to summon the spell?

            My grip soon came lose as I began to inch towards the hole. This was not what I had hoped for. My sister, my clan everyone depended on me. I had to fight back the current however, with each second my strength faded as I slipped into the hole and fell unconscious.

 

© 2008 Pakino


Author's Note

Pakino
Grammar issues will be present since I didnt feel like editing it. But the story plot in there.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Definitely a great plot! I am enjoying this story so far. I'll be reading the third part! Excellent job so far!

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

321 Views
1 Review
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 12, 2008
Last Updated on June 29, 2008

Author

Pakino
Pakino

Toronto



About
Student at Ryerson University. Martial Artist (Kendo) Guitarist Gamer (RPG w00t) Anime And pure randomness more..

Writing
Beast Within Beast Within

A Poem by Pakino


Death Death

A Poem by Pakino