Change

Change

A Story by Kathryn Smith

I came across a fallen tree


I felt the branches of it looking at me


is the place we used to love?


is this the place that I've been dreaming of?




I'm getting old and need something to rely on



The beautiful mural I grew up admiring was painted over this summer.


Now the walls of the basement are plain white.


Framed Disney pictures have been put up.


The playground I used to play on was torn down, it was fun to take down, but it's still strange to not see it in the backyard.


The church I attended since I was born, always felt like home. I began to work in the office Wednesday nights while my father taught Faith Formation years ago, but we had to leave because our jobs were taken away. New people were in charge.


Today, it seems my whole church has been taken away.


A sweet older lady and I, who were in charge of putting up the Nativity for Christmas. (for as long as I remember) went home with disappointed hearts last December.


Our new priest wouldn't let us put up the Nativity and decorate the way we always had.


I don't see a special little boy quite as often anymore...Yet I have to let him grow up. He can't be little forever.



Change


Change is not easy.


My grandmother lost two of her children who were very young and had a baby die 24 hours after birth.


She always said that life is change.


You must adjust, adjust, adjust!


She never wished to have a crystal ball so she could see into the future, had she known what was ahead, it would've scared her.


We're all getting older each day.


I make sure I give my parents extra appreciation because they are getting older too.


One day they aren't going to be here anymore..and just the thought of that brings a lump to my throat and a sinking heart.


Most of what I knew as a child is long gone now, but working with children each day gives me a burst of refreshment and renewal.


I love their eyes of wonder.


Their innocence and energy.


Their laughter and joy.


Their curiosity and ever growing minds.


My mother was surprised I didn't remember her buying the Disney prints that are hanging in our basement.


But just the other day I had a flashback and remembered.


I remembered what makes life so magical as a child.


What sometimes in the adult worlds we miss.


It is all the tiny and simple things.


The details and colors.


The smells and sounds.


It's the whole world around you.



I told myself that this year would be the year of opening my eyes.


Maybe paying attention to the simple good things will bring happiness.


and maybe these changes are preparing me for something better ahead.


A big new chapter of my life.


I could very well be settling into an entirely different world in the near future.


Life really would be boring if everything stayed the way it was.


and even when there is change, you'll always carry memories of what once was with you.




This could be the end of everything


So why don't we go


Somewhere only we know





A lost friend by e-will Digital Art / Drawings & Paintings / Landscape:








© 2016 Kathryn Smith


Author's Note

Kathryn Smith

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

A well-written and sad tale with old fashion wisdom in the words.
"She always said that life is change.
You must adjust, adjust, adjust! "
The above lines are true wisdom. I liked the complete tale. Thank you for sharing the excellent story.
Coyote

Posted 8 Years Ago


A very well-written piece of work.

Posted 8 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
dan
The only constant in our worlds is change, but that doesn't make it comforting in the long run. Two of the biggest things poets write of are dreams and memories...looking back, not forward. Like your grandmother, no crystal ball in sight. But even though we'd like to hold on to the past, the changes coming our way are not necessarily going to be bad. They are the new processes involved in making new memories.
Thank you for sharing this thought provoking piece, Kathryn. take care...dan

Posted 8 Years Ago


Change begets anxiety and anxiety begets fear (of the unknown). Fear is probably the biggest reason for people not to strike out and live to the full.
Well constructed and written piece.

NB. - You really should blog Kathryn - you are so versatile - your wasted here I think. I say with the nicest of intentions my friend. :))

Posted 8 Years Ago


Kathryn Smith

8 Years Ago

hehe thank you! And I know what you mean don't worry. :) I tried starting a blog but I didn't really.. read more
i guess change is a part of life,we can always go back home,but we can`t go back in time

Posted 8 Years Ago


I really liked your story and after reading so many of your stories i can say that you are a good writer ...Great work..Keep it up and thanks for sharing...

Posted 8 Years Ago


I really loved the simplicity you have maintained throughout the story....The description technique is very very catchy....I enjoyed the concept too....Some words used in the story suited with the story.....Absolutely well done frnd....Full rating.....

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

424 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 11, 2016
Last Updated on January 11, 2016


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


"Inheritance" "Inheritance"

A Poem by ...


Young Love Young Love

A Chapter by Matching Socks