Hunted

Hunted

A Story by Kathryn Smith

An older woman approached me after church this morning.


She said she remembered when I was a little girl, and went on to tell me how beautiful I have become. 


She said I was stunning. 


This is the third time in the past month someone has commented on my beauty. 


People have stopped my parents exclaiming “Your daughter is just absolutely beautiful!


All my life this has been reoccurring; and it warms my heart and boosts my faith in myself. 


I got a message from a family friend wanting to set me up with her son.


Another family friend tried to match me up with another guy who I’ve never met or seen.




Meanwhile I have fallen for someone I can never have, I fell for someone who also fell for me.

 

I feel like the prettiest girl in town who every mother wants their son to be with.

 


And suddenly, all at once; I do not feel human.


I feel like nothing but a piece of meat that men want their hands on. 


I feel hunted.



Even my step Uncle went after me.


I feel as though I am being watched by all eyes of the town.


I feel that since I am 27 years old, and am not with a man; 


People feel the need to ‘settle me down.”

 

And yet I am a girl who still has memories haunting her each night.


I have memories of him pressuring me to drink.


Pouring me more and more wine in my glass. 


I remember lying on his couch.


My brain mush.


Him looming over me with that hungry look in his eyes.


Evil and greed flicker across his face.


He whispers “look at you; maybe I should take advantage of this.”





He never did anything to me.


And I thank God.

 

But I will never forget that.


He broke my soul.


And I went to a new church; finding safety and love there.

 

 



And ever since I have become someone with a deep love for a man I cannot have. 


While other men break their necks to speak to me. 


While mothers hope for my "yes" and become angry when I say "no" 


While the town continues to hunt the girl with the dainty figure and beautiful dresses. 



The girl trying to break free from memories.


The one who desperately wants to love. 


But wants to find it on her own. 

© 2019 Kathryn Smith


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Ahhh, Dear Kathryn,

Such a poignantly sad and understood tale of undeserved woe. No one I know of deserves to have a lover in her own desired ways than do You, the young, vibrantly alive, beautiful woman, with a heart of gold, a soul filled with sheer wonderment, and a spirit built on hopes and heavenly bliss-filled dreams.
Whomsoever would set out to break your soaring wings should genuflect in thoughtless shame to usurping God's greater plans for such an angel as He's made of You.
Yet, what is He thinking to bring your heart and body to the one's forbidden to you in such a tormenting way, leaving little choice but to seek your comforts in desire, willingness, and passion elsewhere?
Ahhh, so often we reach to be touched and embraced, to quench our primally stoked fires in the only ways we might, to unfurl our own wings and set them to such a wondrously⁓sating height.

What a beautifully poignant tale, told by a heart-gripping master authoress.
Bless You, Kathryn, my dearest, most admired, revered friend and writer, "With Warmest Happy Christmas Hugs to You!" Ever yours ⁓ Richard 🍃

Posted 4 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

56 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on November 29, 2019
Last Updated on November 29, 2019