Mermaids

Mermaids

A Story by Dara
"

Another trip down memory lane….

"
Summer vacations spent in northern Minnesota were always the highlight of the year.
The musty smell of the rustic cabins could not dampen our pleasure anymore than sleeping all six of us in one small unit was an inconvenience.

Many evenings were spent sitting around a campfire.
I can still see your freckled face reflecting light from the fire, singing folk songs trying our best to imitate Joan Baez, Peter Paul and Mary …..

“If I had a hammer, I’d hammer in the morning, I’d hammer in the evening all
over this world….”

We would rise early in the morning to be the
first to arrive at the beach, running barefoot and digging our toes into the warm soft sand.
Then, jumping into the brisk lake water without a care in the world, spend the morning swimming until our lips turned blue from the cold.

But the best part, the memory that has stayed with me all these years, is the game we always played as MERMAIDS.
We would open up our eyes underwater swishing our hair around, watching it float through the water like golden strands of delicate seaweed.

Your bright blue eyes peering at me through the water and making funny faces had us both giggling even as we were forced to keep holding our breath.
Muffled laughter and bubbles rising to the surface making fishy sounds that only we could hear.

Underwater tea parties, struggling to sit on the bottom of the lake holding our imaginary ‘tea cup’ in one hand and making ‘figure eights’ with the other to keep us from floating to the top.

Fast forward to the present and decades later I hold on to these childhood memories like a life ring.
They help keep me afloat as the darker ones creep up from time to time in the middle of a sleepless night.

Finally, drifting off to sleep I can smile because my sister, best friend forever and yes, soul mate, is still around.
The demons that tried so many years ago to drown her have vanished.
In the end it was love that saved her.
Perhaps the carefreeness of our childhood and ‘Mermaids’ played a big part as well.

© 2021 Dara


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I've always been fascinated with the idea of mermaids. This is really nice description of your time spent swimming, enjoying a campfire and just having fun adventures with your sister and best friend. The imagery is quite vivid and splendid. Dara, I'm guessing you're the mermaid on the right?

Posted 3 Months Ago


Dara

3 Months Ago

Good guess my friend. :-) Being close in age my mother often dressed us alike. Thank you for this sw.. read more
Jodash

3 Months Ago

You're welcome dear friend. I'm glad I come across as kind to you. I don't always get it right in th.. read more
Dara

3 Months Ago

That is so true. I hope you have a blessed weekend as well.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Les
I love the way you have captured the pleasure we get from revisiting memories of our younger selves and the seemingly silly things that we did then. But, maybe, as your story proves, they turn out not to have been silly at all.

Posted 1 Year Ago


I was lucky. I had kind grandparent dear Dara. Took me to Belle Isle on weekend. I still remember dancing with the water. Now I do the same for my grandchildren. I take them to the lakes. Thank you dear friend for sharing the wonderful story.
Coyote

Posted 2 Years Ago


Dara

2 Years Ago

How wonderful! There is something about being near water and family gatherings. Your tradition being.. read more
Coyote Poetry

2 Years Ago

I did dear Dara and I hope you are enjoying the days of Summer.
Dara

2 Years Ago

I am thank you!! It is always so good to hear from you.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

169 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 4, 2021
Last Updated on August 4, 2021

Author

Dara
Dara

NC



About
I am a retired teacher who has just recently discovered the joy of writing poetry. Formerly known as Passion Flower, I decided to publish using my own name. My poetry is simple and from the heart whi.. more..

Writing
Sister Moon Sister Moon

A Poem by Dara


Left Behind Left Behind

A Poem by Dara